3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1 by amoebae 3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer was created by amoebae
On release of ME:A I tried whichever early version of 3.0.x was out at the time and the depth buffer was sort of recognised but was really funky and more or less unusable, so I rolled back to 2.0.3, where it works as intended.

Going back to the game after some time I thought to give the latest version a go, but the depth buffer doesn't work at all with 3.1.2, funky or otherwise.

I saw a post a while back where someone had been using 3.x with the depth buffer but there were no details. Has anyone here managed to conjure some magic to make it work, and if so would they mind passing on the trick they used? Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thalixte
More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #2 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic 3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer
You could try this one: dxgi_34bits.zip (play with the depth buffer detection settings)...
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by thalixte.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amoebae

• Daodan
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #3 by Daodan Replied by Daodan on topic 3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer
I haven't tried it with 3.1.2 yet, but it works fine with 3.0.8 and 3.1.0.
Maybe your preprocessor defines aren't setup correctly.
For me it works with:

RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_UPSIDE_DOWN=0
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED=1
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITMIC=0

Hope this helps.

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #4 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic 3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer
I have it set up like that already (I used the depth buffer reversed in 2.0.3 with no issues).

I just got it working in 3.1.1 by changing to this in the settings:

Clearing numbers first, second and third all work the same - no other combination works at all.

However, it flashes like crazy with any depth effect enabled - a constant rhythmic flashing pulsing of the whole screen, and mxao looks dreadful, with sharp, blocky edges and not at all blended into the image. This is the same thing that happened when I tried to use 3.0.6 back when the game released (and why I rolled back to 2.0.3, which doesn't flash).

Turning off various in-game graphics options (like temporal aa or hbao) makes no difference.

It's got to be something with my setup, because I don't see anyone else mentioning these problems and looking on nexus all the reshade 3.x presets are using dof, so they've got it working (although looking at their dxgi.ini files none of them have the buffer reversed, which seems odd).

I'm taking a look through google for the flashing issue, I'm just seeing mention of TAA, which makes no difference to it in my case. Any other ideas?

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #5 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic 3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer
Okay, going offline gets rid of the flickering, but mxao still looks dreadful:

No amount of editing the values makes it any better (I'm not new to working with mxao, this is the only game I've encountered this in).

• thalixte
More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #6 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic 3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer

amoebae wrote: Okay, going offline gets rid of the flickering, but mxao still looks dreadful:

No amount of editing the values makes it any better (I'm not new to working with mxao, this is the only game I've encountered this in).

Yes, reshade remove depth buffer if an online activity is detected, forgot to mention it. So, it should work as well with the 3.1.2 Reshade relase in offline mode (works well with my version of MEA), as well as with the version i provided to you.

For the MXAO stuff, you should ask Marty McFly (the author of MXAO)...
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by thalixte.

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #7 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic 3.1.x and Mass Effect: Andromeda - depth buffer
Thank you, yeah I'll see if he has any ideas.

Might I ask, your edited 3.1.1 dll you linked to, I'm presuming you compiled the binary yourself from the source? I've never done that before, but if I needed to achieve this same sort of thing in a future version is there a set of instructions how to do it somewhere?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.