Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Weird depth buffer behavior in Far Cry 1

Weird depth buffer behavior in Far Cry 1 2 weeks 6 hours ago #1

After installing ReShade on a copy of FarCry 1 from GOG with FCAM mod installed, I noticed these artifacts when using Marty's MXAO shader:

As you can notice, although it's not too easy to see in the video, when SSAO glitches out, the depth buffer goes into the left upper corner and stays there for some time until reverting to its normal position. It happens at both widescreen HD resolutions as well as at PC resolutions such as 800x600 or 1024x768, originally supported by the game itself.

Here is the debug view for better understanding:

MXAO is the only shader enabled in these examples, It does happen with or without Shadowplay overlay. All e-shops like Steam, Uplay, Origin and Epic Store are closed before recording and testing as well as MSI Afterburner and RTSS. The results are the same with any settings for MXAO at any sample resolution.

If we look at depth buffer exclusively through a shader provided with ReShade itself, we can clearly see that not only the buffer does squint into the left upper corner, it seems to change the perspective to a position that looks like it belongs somewhere under the map surface and directly below the player's camera.

I wonder if anyone has any idea about what can cause something like this and how it can be dealt with.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 hours ago by JaCk_Boston. Reason: title didn't reflect the key problem
The administrator has disabled public write access.