Screenshots black/purple in Alien Isolation

• Wurschti
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #1 by Wurschti Screenshots black/purple in Alien Isolation was created by Wurschti
Hello there, I recently started A:I with Reshade 4.3.0 and it seems that screenshots are not working properly for me.
They are either completely black when i save them as .PNG or purple for .JPG.
I use the Steamversion on Windows 7 with dxgi.DLL and it does not make a difference
if i change the path where it is saved to, or what key i bound to make a screenshot.

At first i thought it is maybe because i have Alias Isolation hooked, but even without it the result
is black/purple.
I have not tested other games with ver. 4.3.0 yet, but older installations in other games but A:I
create screenshots just perfect with steamoverlay active (A:I not tested with older versions of ReShade yet).

Can anybody please give me suggestions on what could be wrong, or help me in any way with that?
I just have to make screenshots in this game B)

Thanks in advance and have a great day!
(If my grammar, structure of sentences or spelling seems weird to you: Sorry, english is not my mothertongue)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Uncle Crassius
More
4 years 9 months ago #2 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Screenshots black/purple in Alien Isolation
I haven't got a solution, I'm afraid, but I can confirm that Alias Isolation plus ReShade work finde together for me, taking screenshots included. Got it running with Win 10, though.

• JBeckman
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #3 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Screenshots black/purple in Alien Isolation
Thought that was from limited 10-bit support although it looks like newer commits are somewhat implementing this and surrounding features, Alien Isolation should also have a toggle for Deep Color which you could try if that helps although this will come at the cost of somewhat more noticeable banding assuming you have a proper 10-bit panel.
(Many early ones are 8-bit + FRC dithering which is similar but not the same.)

EDIT: Hmm but I can't speak for how Windows 7 would handle it and ReShade 4.3.0 should already have many of these improvements compared to earlier ones at least far as I know.

Microsoft not fully implementing support for D3D 11.1 and such even with the feature update and other changes and differences between Win7 and Win8 or 8.1 and then less of a step up from that to Win10
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by JBeckman.

• Wurschti
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #4 by Wurschti Replied by Wurschti on topic Screenshots black/purple in Alien Isolation
Thanks for the confirmation about Alias+ReShade and JBeckman i will try to update my windows,
even if most likely just security updates are missing.
But i have no idea what you are talking about with that 10-bit support. My screen is rather old and running on 1080p (max.).

I will update my graphics card drivers and windows now...but i think this won't fix it!

Wurschti

EDIT: Updating Drivers and Windows did not fix it!
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Wurschti. Reason: New Information

• JBeckman
More
4 years 8 months ago #5 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Screenshots black/purple in Alien Isolation
Whoow now how to try and explain that.

So Deep Color off.
abload.de/img/8-bite8xve.jpg

Deep Color on.
abload.de/img/10-bit6uybq.jpg

10-bit color support and related backbuffer changes and formats.

Red, green, blue and a alpha channel (transparency.) normally handled by 8-bit but as of DirectX 11 and later changes 10-bit started seeing use with Alien Isolation as one of the few games where far as I know this effect can be directly toggled via the Deep Color graphics setting from on to off switching from a 8-bit to a 10-bit buffer and format.

ReShade lacked support for this so a screenshot ended up as a bright pink image though I thought that was resolved somewhere in the 4.0 versions unless this comes from a entirely different issue but it's complex.

A few game engines use RGB, some use SRGB and others don't use RGB but BGR for Blue as the first channel instead of Red which also means changes in how the frame and backbuffer supports this.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/d...irect3d-12-1-formats

Yeah there's a lot of these, UNORM 8-bit as the more common one, 10-bit as a more recent introduction and then typeless in a few cases though looking at the code ReShade should now support many of the most common cases.

github.com/crosire/reshade/blob/master/s...xgi/format_utils.hpp

Though doing a double check for the D3D source code perhaps for screenshots it's not yet supported?
github.com/crosire/reshade/blob/master/s...11/runtime_d3d11.cpp

void reshade::d3d11::runtime_d3d11::capture_screenshot(uint8_t *buffer) const
{
if (_backbuffer_format != DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM &&
_backbuffer_format != DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB &&
_backbuffer_format != DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM &&
_backbuffer_format != DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM_SRGB)
{
LOG(WARN) << "Screenshots are not supported for back buffer format " << _backbuffer_format << '.';
return;
}

This is good info.

LOG(WARN) << "Screenshots are not supported for back buffer format " << _backbuffer_format << '.';
return;

So in ReShade if you open the menu and browse to the log tab and it displays "Screenshots are not supported for back buffer format" it should confirm that the problem stems from a unsupported backbuffer format which the game is using. :)

The above code would have 8-bit support for RGB and BGR for UNORM and SRGB but no 10-bit or typeless support. But I might be mixing up texture formats here because I was under the impression Unreal Engine among others utilized typeless. I need to check that.

Hah yeah it's pretty complicated and I'm not that great at explaining but Home or the older Shift+F2 and open the ReShade menu and it should have a section for log information, if the string in there has the above bit for unsupported back buffer formats it's the answer to why it's not working for this game and then ReShade would need to be updated with 10-bit support eventually for screenshot functionality in software that utilizes this. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wurschti

• JBeckman
More
4 years 8 months ago #6 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Screenshots black/purple in Alien Isolation
So yeah it's not important to try and understand the entire thing with back buffers, formats, differences in 8 or 10-bit and all that as it turns out, just a quick check in what ReShade has logged would tell if it's a software limitation or not and if that's it then it needs a update to support these formats. :)

• Wurschti
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #7 by Wurschti Replied by Wurschti on topic That is a lot
Thank you for digging into this for me, and explaining it, I appreciate that!!
I will check what ReShade is logging.
Also I will try to set Alien to a lower setting of depth if that's possible.
Some more stripes don't bother me too much and maybe I can counter
this out somewhat by fiddling with gammavalues and ReShade?!!

And if nothing of that helps I'am confident that our common hero will update this ;)

Thank you JBeckamn

EDIT:
So you are right about the depthcolor-thing.
ReShade is giving the following "Warn": "Screenshots are not supported for back buffer format 24."
I turned colordepth off in the gamesettings and *taddaa* i can now make screenshots!
I only did a quick test in the menu of the game, so no clue how bad the stripes will be...if any noticeable at all.

Again: Thanks to you, and have good day Sir, I'am happy now!

Wurschti
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Wurschti.

• JBeckman
More
4 years 8 months ago #8 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic That is a lot
DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM

So yeah that explains it, 10-bit back buffer and ReShade being limited to 8-bit for screenshots for the moment, this above is actually from a older ReShade topic I entirely forgot about but found via Google made in 2017 so two years ago.

reshade.me/forum/suggestions/3005-screen...ack-buffer-format-24

Hah I was quite off going into texture formats there but the post from Crosire explains it. :)
Hopefully eventually ReShade can support 10-bit for screenshots too particularly now with Vulkan and D3D12 / DirectX 12 support landing in the code where these formats might see more frequent usage.

• Wurschti
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #9 by Wurschti Replied by Wurschti on topic Searchfunction
I did a little search on the Web before I posted in here, but not knowing
what exactly is wrong just a little showed up (nothing of it helpful).

Meanwhile i set up the game with ReShade and Alias:Isolation running (added a few more effects),
and had a closer look into it:
Only partially on some edges from crates are stripes and that is something I can easy overlook.

From my side this thread can now get closed.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.