d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO

• sp!nat
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #1 by sp!nat d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO was created by sp!nat
Hello, Crosire!

Using your d3d8.dll wrapper itself or one used in WidescreenFixes makes not possible to use Nvidia AA such as MSAA/SGSSAA/OGSSAA and HBAO/HBAO+ (via Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector). For example in Mafia Lost Heaven, GTA Vice City, Max Payne, etc.

Am I doing something wrong?

W10x64, RTX2070
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by sp!nat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lowenz
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #2 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO
It's probably game/engine dependent (in some way)

I got HBAO+ working with Thief DS wrapped by d3d8to9
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by lowenz.

• sp!nat
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #3 by sp!nat Replied by sp!nat on topic d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO
I didn't try Thief. Seems like I need someone to check same games as me.
Is it possible to ask Crosire directly?

• EV3RGREEN
More
4 years 6 months ago #4 by EV3RGREEN Replied by EV3RGREEN on topic d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO
For some games, I remember having to input different compatibility bits for AA. Resident Evil Revelations being one of them. Otherwise, ReShade would just crash the game.
If you can't use SG/OGSSAA, i'd suggest downsampling ;) Oh and no, you can't ask Crosire directly. I guess you can imagine how many "I didn't read the troubleshooting section" questions he would receive each day. But he passes by here from time to time and if he can help, he will.

• sp!nat
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #5 by sp!nat Replied by sp!nat on topic d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO
Yes, I know about the "bits".
Last time I tried old "Evil Dead Hail To The King" without any bits and SSAA works perfectly, but with a wrapper nothing happens.
Any way, pure SSAA much better that Nvidia DSR or something. Also, I'm sure there is no any info like this in "troubleshooting section".

I will try ask Dege (of dgVoodoo).

• brussell
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #6 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO
I use dgvoodoo's MSAA for pre-d3d9 games, which subjectively has the same quality as SGSSAA.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by brussell.

• sp!nat
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #7 by sp!nat Replied by sp!nat on topic d3d8 wrapper and Nvidia AA/HBAO
Subjectively.
Try HybridSAA (SSAA + MSAA), it's a ultimate solution or at least OGSSAA for example in Source games and you will notice the difference immediately.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.