Various shaders fail to compile in vulkan

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #1 by amoebae Various shaders fail to compile in vulkan was created by amoebae
It's happening for me in No Man's Sky (nvidia, latest game ready driver). Everything will be fine for a while, then I lose the depth buffer, and then various effects start failing to compile.

Sometimes tabbing out and in again fixes it temporarily (but doesn't bring the depth buffer back), but pressing Reload does not fix it. One thing I haven't tried yet is running in windowed/borderless mode, so I'll try that.

This is my first time using ReShade in a Vulkan game so I don't know how it works differently to DX games, it might be that I'm doing something wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Various shaders fail to compile in vulkan
I cannot really help without logs (most likely in C:\ProgramData\ReShade\ReShade64.log), since I don't know what went wrong otherwise. Either way, this is a different issue, so moving to new topic.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amoebae

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #3 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic Various shaders fail to compile in vulkan
Here's the log.

All the error messages seem to refer to image and texture sizes. Basic shaders like levels continue to work. Anything with a texture doesn't, and neither does the depth buffer.

When I first installed it, in the Vulkan tab there was a depth buffer line relating to my screen resolution and everything worked, including the depth buffer. At some point during the game session that disappeared (I hadn't changed the size of the window or resolution at any point).

I'm running the game and Steam as admin (habit more than anything, I probably don't need to). I've tried both fullscreen and borderless. I have a 980Ti with the latest game ready driver.

My apologies if there's something really obvious I'm missing. This is the first Vulkan game I've tried it with, and I'm very much an end user rather than someone who knows how Vulkan and ReShade work together, so I've potentially missed an important step somewhere.

• crosire
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Various shaders fail to compile in vulkan
That's just ReShade running out of V-RAM. Vulkan does not do automatic paging for you, so when memory is allocated on the GPU, it is really allocated on the GPU and if there is not enough space on the GPU, then it just fails. So what's happening here is that after some time NMS has exhausted all available V-RAM and when you now reload shaders (which will also reload textures), ReShade is unable to allocate enough space for texture again. Sucks, but that's how it is.

I'd have to implement a full blown memory manager which pages out textures to the system RAM if there is not enough space (at a big performance cost of course). And I may do that eventually, but for now there is no easy fix.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amoebae

• Martigen
More
4 years 2 months ago #5 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Various shaders fail to compile in vulkan
Does this mean that any vulkan game that likes to use vram to cache textures/pre-load is going to break a whole lot of shaders that use textures?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.