More effects = more blurry image in DX9

• Cromm Cruac
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #1 by Cromm Cruac More effects = more blurry image in DX9 was created by Cromm Cruac
Hello everyone
First of all thank you @crosire for a fantastic work on ReShade

After many years I've decided to replay my modded S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl again. in 3D this time.

I'm trying to use ReShade 4.7 in parallel with a Helix 3D Vision wrapper in DX9. To do that I had to rename ReShade dll from d3d9.dll to dxgi.dll usually used with DX11 (d3d9.dll being ignored by the 3D wrapper).

I've run into a similar problem as in this topic . It all works fine, except every stacked effect blurs the image more and indeed move everything half a pixel down-right (as @crosire explained in the linked post).
I've tried many other ReShade versions but 4.7 is the only one that works at all with 3D wrapper.

If I disable 3D wrapper and run ReShade alone as d3d9.dll there is no problem - everything is as sharp as it should be.

My question is: is there any way (setting, running as proxy etc.) to avoid this issue and make it sharp together with the 3D wrapper?

Thanks for help in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
3 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic More effects = more blurry image in DX9
ReShade shifts the entire viewport by half a pixel on DX9, to make texture lookups behave like in DX11 and make shaders work consistent. The Helix 3D Vision wrapper will run after ReShade and intercept all its calls, so it gets that shifted viewport as input and is likely unable to cope with that. Disabling it in ReShade would make effects behave incorrectly though. So there isn't really a good solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cromm Cruac

• Cromm Cruac
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #3 by Cromm Cruac Replied by Cromm Cruac on topic More effects = more blurry image in DX9
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Would it be possible to add an optional parameter to disable such behaviour (moving 1/2 px) in DX9 to ReShade config? Or this would break the rendering of the effects in DX9 completely?

• brussell
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #4 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic More effects = more blurry image in DX9
@crosire:
Is this the same reason why reshade doesn't work with SGSSAA (as discussed here and here .)? The hardware-AA seems to be applied on every rendering pass and results in a blurry image.
If this is the case I would also vote for a configurable option.
Currently I'm using a workaround by passing the backbuffer to two textures with doubled buffer dimensions and ping-pong between them until the last pass.
It works, but it's ugly.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by brussell.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.