[Latest master] Reshade loads from dll location rather than exe location

• Niko of Death
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #1 by Niko of Death [Latest master] Reshade loads from dll location rather than exe location was created by Niko of Death
I compiled the latest bleeding edge version of reshade today, and between my last build (July 26th) and now, an important behavior changed. Before, reshade would load from the exe location (e.g. reshade.ini is loaded from/saved to the exe folder, preset selector defaults to exe folder), but now it loads from the dll folder. The main problem with this behavior is with Vulkan games, as it means every vulkan game shares the same reshade.ini (in C:/Program Data/Reshade), rather than having their own reshade.ini in their exe folder. The other major case where this behavior could be problematic is when it is necessary to use an external injection tool to load reshade, such as with Genshin Impact (due to anticheat), and UWP games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
2 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [Latest master] Reshade loads from dll location rather than exe location
This behavior hasn't changed. ReShade will load from the exe location IF there is a ReShade.ini already there, otherwise it will load from the DLL location.
The setup tool will create the ReShade.ini for Vulkan games, hence why this works.

• Niko of Death
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #3 by Niko of Death Replied by Niko of Death on topic [Latest master] Reshade loads from dll location rather than exe location
Well then that behavior isnt working properly,.
Here's ReShade32.log from a game folder (in this case, Borderlands 2 using DXVK) using 4.9.1, loading properly in the exe folder:  ghostbin.com/GyehI
Whereas here is ReShade32.log from the ProgramData folder that I get when running Borderlands 2 (with DXVK) using my latest build:  ghostbin.com/EMktI

• Niko of Death
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #4 by Niko of Death Replied by Niko of Death on topic [Latest master] Reshade loads from dll location rather than exe location
I think I discovered what the issue is. If there's no ini in the programdata folder, and one in the exe folder, it'll load from the exe folder. However, if there's an ini in both, it loads from the programdata folder. To make things worse, when it does load from the exe folder, it generates a ReShade32.ini file (or ReShade64.ini) in the programdata folder, which makes it so the next run will have it load from the programdata folder, unless the generated ini is deleted.

• crosire
More
2 years 5 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [Latest master] Reshade loads from dll location rather than exe location
Ah, that explains it indeed. The generic depth add-on currently writes its settings ino that. Fixed now (well, the "it ignores the ReShade.ini in the exe folder" part at least).

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.