Reshade powering off computer

• MARS ART
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #1 by MARS ART Reshade powering off computer was created by MARS ART
Ever since I upgraded from an rx580 to rtx 2080 super, reshade seems to cause black screens/ shutting down pc (event id 41).
Every time i need to turn off the power supply and turn it back on in order to boot the pc again.
I tried with Assassin's creed 1 and 2. sometimes it's caused by regular shaders like blooming hdr, and others by rtgi. sometimes it takes 5 minutes and others 20 minutes.
I'm using the latest version of reshade. (also tried 4.9)
I already stress tested my new gpu as soon as i got it, didn;t have any issues there (not even when overclocking)
Im thinking it's an nvidia issue maybe. because my old rx580 had no problem running assassins creed 1 with many shaders (including rtgi)
specs:
RTX2080 super
Ryzen 5 2600
2x8 (16) GB RAM 2400mhz
700w 80+ gold PSU
B450M-S2H Motherboard
if anyone has experienced this or needs more info to figure out the problem, please let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lordbean
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #2 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic Reshade powering off computer
Your power supply is not big enough. Although 700w is technically above the 650w recommended minimum for a 2080 super, you generally always want to go around 40-50% above what your expected maximum system draw will be to guarantee stability. The fact that you need to turn off the hard switch on the PSU to get the PC to start again means that the shutdown is being triggered by OCP (over-current protection) in the PSU, which means you're getting transient load spikes in excess of 140% of what your PSU can deliver (a transient load spike is a near-instantaneous large spike in current demand from the system - e.g. a game loads new assets and the GPU momentarily draws an extra 150-200W of power compiling new shaders).
The following user(s) said Thank You: MARS ART

• MARS ART
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #3 by MARS ART Replied by MARS ART on topic Reshade powering off computer
I guess I'll start saving up for a 1000w psu. kinda blew my budget on the gpu lol.
I was just worried that my gpu was faulty because I bought it used.
Thanks for the help.

• lordbean
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #4 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic Reshade powering off computer
You're welcome. In the meantime you might still be able to get away with running the 2080 SUPER if you use MSI afterburner (or the vendor-specific tuning tool for whoever made the card) to limit the card's power target to less than normal (I'd start with 75% and see how that holds up).

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.