Is there an "ideal" order for effects?

• Viper_Joe
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #1 by Viper_Joe Is there an "ideal" order for effects? was created by Viper_Joe
Particularly ones that have to do with sharpening and anti-aliasing.

There is a noticeable difference when I move them around, yet I can't quite put my finger on it. So far I've found only one discussion about this, but it didn't have a definitive answer. Is there at least a conventional order for certain effects that yields the optimal image quality, or is it purely a matter of taste?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FierySwordswoman
More
7 years 4 months ago #2 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
It's really just step-by-step based on what you want. Effects near the bottom are loaded first.
Example:
At the very bottom I have the color adjustments (a LUT in my case).
Above that, sharpening, because I want to sharpen the 'final' image that has all the color adjustments.
Finally, filmgrain at the top, because I don't want to sharpen the grain.

For your AA and Sharpening, I'd go:
First, at the bottom, your AA of choice to smooth edges
Above that, sharpening to reduce the blur of AA.
-If you sharpen *before* AA, what you're sharpening is the jaggy aliased edge that the AA filter works on. Sharpen edge -> Blur the edge with AA. Counterproductive in my opinion.

• CrazyCat
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #3 by CrazyCat Replied by CrazyCat on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
In my experience, sharpening after AA often brings back jagged edges that were blurred by AA filters (However, this may be depended on sharpening algorithms. As I mainly use LumaSharpen, that is what I've observed. Other sharpening filters may behave different). Turning up the sharpen strength a bit and putting it before AA seems to look better to me. But that's just my two cents, of course. I think in this case it's just a matter of taste.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by CrazyCat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe

• crosire
More
7 years 4 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
Effects are applied from top to bottom, not bottom to top.

• FierySwordswoman
More
7 years 4 months ago #5 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
..?!
*tests*
Hey, what do you know? I had it wrong.
Yes, top-to-bottom. Think of everything I said, but in reverse.

• Viper_Joe
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #6 by Viper_Joe Replied by Viper_Joe on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?

FierySwordswoman wrote: Effects near the top are loaded first.
Example:
At the very top I have the color adjustments (a LUT in my case).
Below that, sharpening, because I want to sharpen the 'final' image that has all the color adjustments.
Finally, filmgrain at the bottom, because I don't want to sharpen the grain.

For your AA and Sharpening, I'd go:
First, at the top, your AA of choice to smooth edges
Below that, sharpening to reduce the blur of AA.

Did I get that right?

• FierySwordswoman
More
7 years 4 months ago #7 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
Yeah. That's how I'd do it.

Note: I always use AA from my GPU control panel (if the game doesn't have it), as I've found it works better for my tastes.
FXAA, with some MSAA if I can spare the performance.

• CrazyCat
More
7 years 4 months ago #8 by CrazyCat Replied by CrazyCat on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
IIRC, forcing AA in driver is not recommended when using ReShade.

• Martigen
More
7 years 4 months ago #9 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
Yes there was this initial thread here:

reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/2387...-ordering-discussion

And though I said I'd get back to it, in my testing also, in every single game, doing sharpening->AA looks better. It's quite easily noticeable in all cases too.

As for the rest, add to the thread!

• FierySwordswoman
More
7 years 4 months ago #10 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Is there an "ideal" order for effects?
"Forcing AA in driver is not recommended when using ReShade."

Why would that be? I do that for every game that doesn't have an FXAA option (adding MSAA in the case of certain games), and have used ReShade versions 1-3 over time with no ill side-effects that I'm aware of.
I've found that forcing AA/AF through my GPU panel has never had any issues, excepting in Warcraft III where the trees break when 'Negative LOD Bias' is automatically set to 'Clamp' after forcing AF. Manually setting it back to 'Allow' removed the issue, allowing me to keep 16x AF.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.