Shader that could apply colors/saturation only to further away areas?

• Spitfire
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #1 by Spitfire Shader that could apply colors/saturation only to further away areas? was created by Spitfire
Hello, while playing rdr2 I have started to use reshade more on specific things than in the past, one thing that bothers me in rdr2 is the lod color, I know it's not that bad in rdr2 compared to many other games it is actually one of the best looking lods I've ever seen in a game but I would like to push the games lod more towards similar color what the near field has. So my question is, is there away or workaround or shader that could apply color or saturation only to lod in a similar way than for example dof is blurring only distant things?

I have one other questions as well that I have been thinking alot, since there seems to be no knowledge about these things on anywhere else I ask them here.

Is it somehow possible to apply antialiasing or strong blur in a way that it only affects a shader that is before it in the reshade chain not the whole image in other words can antialiasing be hooked to affect only reshade shader within reshade but not the actual game? More specifically I am using Pascal Glitchers GI shader and something that bothers me expecially in games like rdr2 is that the shaders noise becomes too obvious and disturbing before it hits the sweetspot on bounce light and ao parameters I know there is a denoise filter in Pascal's shader but I'd like it to be far stronger.I'm not a tech guy and this may be far beyond our reach but you never know, maybe the whole idea would just look a blurry mess :D, cheers!
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Spitfire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• knowom
More
3 years 1 month ago #2 by knowom Replied by knowom on topic Shader that could apply colors/saturation only to further away areas?
Try Clarity it's can do a heck of a lot of stuff depending upon how you configure it. Here's a screenshot of it worht noting is it can cause some coloring shift a bit know the text color. I'm working on improving my configuration lost my old configuration it's a bit more pronounced still than intended, but have improved it a minor bit from that screenshot aftering noticing how pronounced it looks in still images. It doesn't look as bad in game with all the movement, but it defiantly is/was still causing some color dulling. Some minor color shifting and dulling is often a common issue with post process injection techniques some being problematic than others though depending on setup.

My favorite techniques are actually the tonemap or color injection techniques they can make more readily obvious differences than most others. That said Clarity is incredible at a few things and similar with other tehchniques like God Rays. I'm going to see if I can better zero in further on what's the main cause of that color shift with my current configuration. I already improved it a bit so I've got a general idea, but it needs to be fine tuned.

I'd suggest looking at your Clarity configuration if you're actively using it. It's really great at giving a sense of depth actually and you can really darken or bleach the color tone a lot with it as well. It does a ton to the LOD smoke, fog, lighting, and shading overall. Actually I think I know what what you might like for what you ask try configuring ReflectiveBumpMapping.fx you might find that along with Clarity can do much of what you want suitably. I've found in the past reflect bump mapping can be great for adding in some pin pointing color/saturation lighting and shading enhancements. The key is getting the configuration settings narrowed down better there are quite a few in that thechnique configuration.

• Spitfire
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #3 by Spitfire Replied by Spitfire on topic Shader that could apply colors/saturation only to further away areas?
Thanks for your answer!
I have used clarity in the past but since then I've come to the conclusion that it makes games look kinda plastic what clarity does works nicely in the beginning when you want something get done fast but when you want something more accurate/sophisticated it does not give me the result I'm after.
I have used dehaze with reveil shader to give lod a bit darker look but still the colors for lod in some games like rdr2 are far away from what they are in close areas and to be completely honest it is realistic cause that's how it works in real life due to fog, smoke and pollution but at the same time rdr2's map and environment in nature should be pollution free so I guess what I am after is to fine tune the lod colors not completely change them. I feel that the washed out look for lod works well in the extreme far areas in this game but those lods that are let say 100-300 meters away from the player look a bit unrealistic cause the lod starts too close cheers!

• Spitfire
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #4 by Spitfire Replied by Spitfire on topic Shader that could apply colors/saturation only to further away areas?
To add to this I know I am a bit nitpicky when it comes to rdr2 normally I don't care If the lods aren't accurate in other games cause I just play them through once and forget them but I have invested close to 3000h to this game on pc and because it is such a great game and there is so much replay value I feel that it is worth to push the game even more.

I have tried to tweak the lod from the games configuration file and done quite a lot of research and trial and error. Changing the lod values do make a difference but they also affect the texture popping in a negative way so I leave the ini tweaking for the developers and try to make my own changes with reshade...

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.