How to edit the .ini file and save the changes?

• ODSTAT1
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 11 months ago #1 by ODSTAT1 How to edit the .ini file and save the changes? was created by ODSTAT1
I need help with something. Everytime I try to edit Reshade's .ini file it keeps on making a new text file once I click to save the changes. To make it worse, it's just a text file too. I can't replace the original Reshade .ini but even if I could, what would be the point? It's just a text file. If I try to replace it, it just says I don't have access, despite me being the in my admin account for my computer. I'm able to run everything else as a admin, but for some reason I can't replace a ini file? kinda weird. The reason I'm doing all of this is to change the button that starts the tutorial to the fn key.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• REKT
More
2 years 11 months ago #2 by REKT Replied by REKT on topic How to edit the .ini file and save the changes?

• ODSTAT1
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 11 months ago #3 by ODSTAT1 Replied by ODSTAT1 on topic How to edit the .ini file and save the changes?
I already know how to do that: It's just that whenever I close the text file it tells me do you want to save the changes or no? I say yes. It creates a text file to replace the .ini file, but if you try to replace it, access is denied. If you store it somewhere else, you can't do anything with it.

• crosire
More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How to edit the .ini file and save the changes?
You being logged in as an administrator changes nothing with respect to file permissions (because of UAC). Files in C:\Program Files are still not writable by default, so you need to give your user account permission to do so ( www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/chang...missions-windows-10/ ). Otherwise Notepad will not be able to save the file and will instead ask to save somewhere else (which is what you are seeing). Or launch Notepad as admin and open the file manually.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by crosire.

• ODSTAT1
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 11 months ago #5 by ODSTAT1 Replied by ODSTAT1 on topic How to edit the .ini file and save the changes?
I managed to do it, but it made a new Reshade.ini, but with my changes. I deleted the original which didn't have the changes. Weirdly enough, it still needs the homekey, even though I added
[INPUT]
KeyMenu=113,0,1 to it. Any help?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.