Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: quintessential collection

quintessential collection 3 months 2 days ago #1

Hey everyone,

as most of you probably know, the default ReShade github repo has some issues. Namely: redunancy of effects, many filters frankly no one ever needs, outdated code ported by newbies.
Newbies are totally overwhelmed by the sheer amount of available stuff with no documentation whatsoever, MXAO being the one shaderfile with an actual guide document which you only find if you're lurking these forums.

I as a shader author see more: a lot of shaders (mine are no exception) declare intermediate textures that are heavily redundant as shaders share their textures. If you were to download and compile the entire repo on OpenGL, ReShade will wreak havoc because all available sampler and constant space is exhausted. Now Windows 10's new HDR featureset sometimes changes the backbuffer to RGB10A2 sometimes so all shaders that use the alpha channel as free slot for data (MXAO, DOF etc) are broken. One could workaround this by adding even more textures but that doesn't cut it.

Bottom line in the center of the text: things need a'changin.

My proposition:
I've got a lot of unreleased stuff on my hand (the leaked Lightroom.fx being only one of them) which is practically release ready, I just didn't share it because it was already there. I've got a very fast bloom, reworked lightroom fx, an ADOF that's 2-3 years woth of development ahead compared to the one on the repo, amongst other things.
What I'd like to do is to compile all of these things into one collection of 7-10 filters that covers 80% of your requirements for preset authoring, which I'm currently dubbing "qUINT" for quintessential, no big fuss, no unnecessary stuff, just the basic amount of filters, all written by me.
Not like MasterEffect or the ReShade framework, each shader will still be separate (like in the current repo) and you'll be able to use one without the other and more importantly, you can freely mix it with the current ReShade repo.

Just all of them share a collective name, a common file (like the ReShade.fxh, the Windows 10 RGB10A2 quirk requires me to use 1-2 additional fullscreen textures per filter which quickly adds up in memory footprint and I have some other stuff I reuse in almost every filter). So together, these shaders will be faster and need less memory than if I released all of them separately.
I'll be migrating MXAO to this new format as well.
All this means for MXAO users is one more file in your folder and the MXAO file has a different name then. Current MXAO has this problem with posterized AO, one of the quirks of this W10 HDR shenanigan, this'll be solved in the update.

What's your opinion on this?
Last Edit: 3 months 2 days ago by Marty McFly.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: matsilagi, MaxG3D, kingeric1992, Echo, Viper_Joe, AssassinsDecree, Daodan

quintessential collection 3 months 2 days ago #2

Knowing your work from up-close, i think i agree on this.

Not trying to say what we have on the repo is bad (In fact , there are some cool stuff), but your effects are always more centered to the users and full of features, i even always set-up only the shaders i want, and it gets overwhelming due to the loads of updates and shader quantity. Yours are just 2-3 shaders that does the works of lots of other small ones.

Well, im totally up for it.

quintessential collection 3 months 2 days ago #3

That would be really nice. I'm all for it!

Would that then be released on the official reshade-shaders repository so it can be downloaded with the ReShade installer?

And a thought regarding the official shader repo:
What about splitting it up into an 'official' and and a 'user' repo?
The official repo would host the essential (and maybe popular) shaders and the user repo would host shaders that are useful but not often used.
(That's the way Arch Linux does it: there is the 'Arch Package Database' and the 'Arch User Repository')
Might be overkill... I don't know...

quintessential collection 3 months 2 days ago #4

I agree that a lot of the shaders are redundant, your lightroom.fx for example can do any sort of color correction I need and more, and then I just port the changes to a LUT which is easily done with that shader. Then there's stuff like 3DFX and ASCII that I've never seen anyone actually use, probably over a third of shaders could be removed or made redundant by a single shader.

It's just a good idea in general.

quintessential collection 3 months 18 hours ago #5

OMG YES! Also, if someone were to stumble across your leaked Lightroom shader, what's your stance/feelings on said person using it in their presets that they release for others on Nexus/TheLazy?

And thank you so much for all your work and time, Mr. McFly!
-Merc
Last Edit: 3 months 18 hours ago by AssassinsDecree.

quintessential collection 3 months 18 hours ago #6

Lightroom.fx is finish ???

quintessential collection 2 months 4 weeks ago #7

Marty McFly wrote:
Just all of them share a collective name, a common file (like the ReShade.fxh, the Windows 10 RGB10A2 quirk requires me to use 1-2 additional fullscreen textures per filter which quickly adds up in memory footprint and I have some other stuff I reuse in almost every filter). So together, these shaders will be faster and need less memory than if I released all of them separately.

i've started doing this with the shaders i wrote, for the exact same reason.

along this line, may i suggest something even more ambitious: a "common.fxh" that gives you access to some commonly used data, like average brightness?

quintessential collection 2 months 4 weeks ago #8

AssassinsDecree wrote:
OMG YES! Also, if someone were to stumble across your leaked Lightroom shader, what's your stance/feelings on said person using it in their presets that they release for others on Nexus/TheLazy?

-Merc

I mentioned on several places that I don't like it. It's buggy (probably you don't see that but it is) and it will make your colors of the preset worse. I plan to rewrite it mostly and update to newest ReShade functionality.

qUINT is mostly done, I'm just not 100% satisfied with the bloom controls but I suppose those will never be easy to adjust. I also experimented with image based lighting but that didn't work out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AssassinsDecree

quintessential collection 2 months 4 weeks ago #9

Marty McFly wrote:
AssassinsDecree wrote:

-Merc

I mentioned on several places that I don't like it. It's buggy (probably you don't see that but it is) and it will make your colors of the preset worse. I plan to rewrite it mostly and update to newest ReShade functionality.

qUINT is mostly done, I'm just not 100% satisfied with the bloom controls but I suppose those will never be easy to adjust. I also experimented with image based lighting but that didn't work out.

Oh ok, I won't use it for public-facing presets in that case. That's exactly why I wanted to ask first as I've seen some presets released that use it, but didn't know if you would be comfortable with it - want to be respectful of your wishes. I've only had a day to test it, but I've had simply incredilbe results with Far Cry 5. Did more in minutes than I was able to do in days upon days of work. It's really impressive, even in its unfinished state. Now I'm even more excited for qUINT.

Good luck! And do please let me know if you need a tester for qUINT, I've released tons of presets over the last two years and I'd like to think I've gotten progressively better, if not quite decent within the last six months. I've been trying to keep improving, anyway. Can't wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe

quintessential collection 2 months 4 weeks ago #10

cool, sounds nice.!!
suggestion: Instead of that..could you make like and integer port for the shaders... and propose you to the other developers (not only yours), like the reshader cook the preset, and then it compiles ..

quintessential collection 2 months 4 weeks ago #11

Scorpio82CO wrote:
cool, sounds nice.!!
suggestion: Instead of that..could you make like and integer port for the shaders... and propose you to the other developers (not only yours), like the reshader cook the preset, and then it compiles ..

I fear I didn't get your point. Could you kindly explain it again? :D

@AssassinsDecree: thanks for the offer, I'll consider it if my current testers are inavailable. Also, lightroom being buggy are no empty words, at some point in ReShade development, the POSITION intrinsic (XY coordinate of current pixel being processed) changed (shift of 0.5) so my calculation to draw a neutral LUT onscreen based on pixel coordinates is buggy. I fixed it now but there's a lot of other stuff in the semi-public version.
Last Edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by Marty McFly.

quintessential collection 2 months 4 weeks ago #12