Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #141 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Skyrim's depth buffer twitches randomly all the time, better use ENB AO.
The topic has been locked.
  • Anach
More
7 years 6 months ago #142 by Anach Replied by Anach on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Running Reshade 3.03 in SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) dx9, and having a small problem with MXAO. I was running HBAO in Reshade 1 + SweetFX 2 without problems, but 3 is giving me issues. The MXAO will randomly flick off for a second or two intermittently, even when not moving the character or camera. Sometimes it flickers a few times every minute, then other times it will go for hours perfectly without noticing any flicker. So far I haven't found any specific state, location or other that causes the issue. Looks great when working, but the the constant on/off makes it unusable for me. Any suggestions?
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #143 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hmm See you sure that it is not a depth buffer issue? The algorithm of MXAO does the same every frame so when it looks fine in one moment and not in another, input must be the issue. To test that, enable a strong DOF for testing purposes (not the fastDOF). If it switches to maximum blur or no blur at all at the same rate as the MXAO flickering, then you have your problem. If that's the case however, that's nothing a shader edit can fix.
  • Anach
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #144 by Anach Replied by Anach on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Hmm See you sure that it is not a depth buffer issue? The algorithm of MXAO does the same every frame so when it looks fine in one moment and not in another, input must be the issue. To test that, enable a strong DOF for testing purposes (not the fastDOF). If it switches to maximum blur or no blur at all at the same rate as the MXAO flickering, then you have your problem. If that's the case however, that's nothing a shader edit can fix.

If as you say it's a depth-buffer issue, why would the HBAO I used previously work fine in that case? When I go back to the old Reshade, the HBAO still works fine. I will try the DOF when I can.

Edit: Tried all the DOF settings, and none of them flicker on/off at all. However, I can still see the MXAO going on and off with the DOF enabled.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Anach.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #145 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Anach wrote:

Marty McFly wrote: Hmm See you sure that it is not a depth buffer issue? The algorithm of MXAO does the same every frame so when it looks fine in one moment and not in another, input must be the issue. To test that, enable a strong DOF for testing purposes (not the fastDOF). If it switches to maximum blur or no blur at all at the same rate as the MXAO flickering, then you have your problem. If that's the case however, that's nothing a shader edit can fix.

If as you say it's a depth-buffer issue, why would the HBAO I used previously work fine in that case? When I go back to the old Reshade, the HBAO still works fine. I will try the DOF when I can.

Edit: Tried all the DOF settings, and none of them flicker on/off at all. However, I can still see the MXAO going on and off with the DOF enabled.

I think MXAO is injected later. Driver Hbao is injected earlier. You even edit a dll with hex editor how the hbao shall behave. A good example for me is Deus Ex human revolution. Where Mxao only works in the pause menu. I use a hex edited hbao where I put. Dll file that handles the hbao. Took me like 3 years to set that up

I have games where Reshade has no connection to the depth buffer. Where I can use custom Hbao without problems. Though the Hbao can be a bit cheaper. Sometimes there are tons of artifacts
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #146 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Oh...Driver HBAO. How am I supposed to know. That's HBAO+, ReShade Framework had HBAO (the predecessor of HBAO+ which I also ported but cannot release due to license). Also ,different ReShade versions might have influences on depth buffer recognition. With the DOF...uhm...how about this: at the almost very end of the file, add a line like shown:
if (bMXAODebugViewEnable)
	{
		if (bMXAOIndirectLightingEnable)
		{	
			color.xyz = (texcoord.x > 0.5) ? mxao.xyz : 1-mxao.w;
		}
		else
		{
			color.xyz = 1-mxao.w;
		}
	}
color = GetLinearDepth(texcoord.xy); //ADD THIS
res = color;

Now you should see depth buffer output. See if that one randomly flickers.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Marty McFly.
  • Anach
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #147 by Anach Replied by Anach on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Oh...Driver HBAO. How am I supposed to know. That's HBAO+, ReShade Framework had HBAO (the predecessor of HBAO+ which I also ported but cannot release due to license). Also ,different ReShade versions might have influences on depth buffer recognition. With the DOF...uhm...how about this: at the almost very end of the file, add a line like shown:

if (bMXAODebugViewEnable)
	{
		if (bMXAOIndirectLightingEnable)
		{	
			color.xyz = (texcoord.x > 0.5) ? mxao.xyz : 1-mxao.w;
		}
		else
		{
			color.xyz = 1-mxao.w;
		}
	}
color = GetLinearDepth(texcoord.xy); //ADD THIS
res = color;

Now you should see depth buffer output. See if that one randomly flickers.

It still flicks on and off randomly. I didn't notice it when in an interior, but exterior definitely flicked on and off almost as soon as I went outside. Also looked like this: imgur.com/a/EZpDe
  • Ioxa
More
7 years 6 months ago #148 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Anach wrote: Running Reshade 3.03 in SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) dx9, and having a small problem with MXAO. I was running HBAO in Reshade 1 + SweetFX 2 without problems, but 3 is giving me issues. The MXAO will randomly flick off for a second or two intermittently, even when not moving the character or camera. Sometimes it flickers a few times every minute, then other times it will go for hours perfectly without noticing any flicker. So far I haven't found any specific state, location or other that causes the issue. Looks great when working, but the the constant on/off makes it unusable for me. Any suggestions?

SWG is an MMO. ReShade will disable the depth buffer when it detects network activity. That is most likely why you are seeing flickering.
  • Anach
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #149 by Anach Replied by Anach on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Ioxa wrote: SWG is an MMO. ReShade will disable the depth buffer when it detects network activity. That is most likely why you are seeing flickering.

So you're saying we can't use the new Reshade in anything with network activity?
  • crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago #150 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
This is nothing new at all. ReShade has always blocked access to the depth buffer in online games to prevent exploitation, since the very beginning.
  • Anach
More
7 years 6 months ago #151 by Anach Replied by Anach on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

crosire wrote: This is nothing new at all. ReShade has always blocked access to the depth buffer in online games to prevent exploitation, since the very beginning.

Well that is a real shame that I have to go back to the old Reshade+SweetFX, just for Ambient Occlusion to work. Everything else works great in 3.0, except AO, and the difference that AO adds to the game, I don't think I can live without it.
  • crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #152 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
???? This is the same in ReShade + SweetFX as well. ReShade + SweetFX doesn't even have any AO ............. If you use driver AO then continue to use it alongside ReShade 3.0. You don't have to use MXAO instead just because it exists. You're arguing doesn't make any sense?
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by crosire.
  • Abby
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #153 by Abby Replied by Abby on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hey Marty, is the new version 1.5.7r available for the Framework?

And if you don't mind write a changelog.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Abby.
  • Anach
More
7 years 6 months ago #154 by Anach Replied by Anach on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

crosire wrote: ???? This is the same in ReShade + SweetFX as well. ReShade + SweetFX doesn't even have any AO ............. If you use driver AO then continue to use it alongside ReShade 3.0. You don't have to use MXAO instead just because it exists. You're arguing doesn't make any sense?

I never said I use Driver AO, this someone else was talking about that, not me. Rather than reading my previous posts of the initial issue, you appear to be assuming the issue from the comment above. So to reiterate; I have been using HBAO in Reshade+SweetFX, and I never had a problem with HBAO in Reshade + SweetFX. Everything works fine. However, in Reshade 3.0, everything works, including DOF, except for MXAO, which has the flicker problem. The only problem I have is that MXAO will intermittently turn off and on every few seconds, when moving or otherwise.
  • Abby
7 years 6 months ago #155 by Abby Replied by Abby on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Anach wrote:

crosire wrote: ???? This is the same in ReShade + SweetFX as well. ReShade + SweetFX doesn't even have any AO ............. If you use driver AO then continue to use it alongside ReShade 3.0. You don't have to use MXAO instead just because it exists. You're arguing doesn't make any sense?

I never said I use Driver AO, this someone else was talking about that, not me. Rather than reading my previous posts of the initial issue, you appear to be assuming the issue from the comment above. So to reiterate; I have been using HBAO in Reshade+SweetFX, and I never had a problem with HBAO in Reshade + SweetFX. Everything works fine. However, in Reshade 3.0, everything works, including DOF, except for MXAO, which has the flicker problem. The only problem I have is that MXAO will intermittently turn off and on every few seconds, when moving or otherwise.

Turn on logarithmic and reversed depth to fix your AO problem and if you don't know how, do as crosire said here :
Warning: Spoiler!
  • Endyamon
More
7 years 6 months ago #156 by Endyamon Replied by Endyamon on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Abby wrote: Hey Marty, is the new version 1.5.7r available for the Framework?

And if you don't mind write a changelog.

Hi all :)
I'm trying to install the new 1.5.7r version but everytime i run a game I get an error saying "there were some error compiling the shaders". Basically I just copied the new version in the shader folder in the reshade-shaders folder and renamed it to mxao.fx. Can anyone help me? :oops:
Thanks a lot :P
  • Anach
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #157 by Anach Replied by Anach on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Abby wrote:

Anach wrote:

Turn on logarithmic and reversed depth to fix your AO problem and if you don't know how, do as crosire said here :
Warning: Spoiler!

Thanks for the reply Abby. Unfortunately messing with any/all of the preprocessor definitions will cause various funky things to happen to the shadows. Oddly, after reloading various changes to the settings, the AO has been a lot more stable than it usually is. I've only had the effect flick off/on a couple times in 10 minutes, where normally its a constant off/on every few seconds. Also it only seems to happen when outdoors; so far inside structures I have never noticed the effect turn off.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #158 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
This shaderfile for 1.5.7 is for ReShade 2.0 hence it maybe won't work on ReShade 3.0. A port will happen in due time, the only thing that currently happens is that for some reason, using same texture or sampler names in different shaderfiles seems to affect each other. There is a weird bug I encountered on GTAV where using texNormal and SamplerNormal as names didn't work ,texture was empty even though a pass filled it. Renaming it to an arbitrary name worked though so I might have to find unique names for all textures.

Abby, I have been writing what changed from version to version on each announcement of a new version, I think that's enough. Can move that to front page though.if you're interested which versions between received which changes, I changed a lot back and forth without keeping track, I mostly incremented the numbers for the beta testers.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abby
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #159 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I look forward to new version. I liked the new debug presentation, also my results where very good in the games tried it in.
  • plasticmind
More
7 years 5 months ago #160 by plasticmind Replied by plasticmind on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Are you still working on the smoothed normals, it seams that it's not included in 1.5.7r?
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.