Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

• Martigen
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #121 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Updated MXAO to 1.5.7r
Changelog:

-removed Sample Randomization, performance uncomparably lower because of cache misses
-removed bayer16x16.png dependancy, results in higher quality of AO
-changed blur weight calculation, heavily inspired from GFSDK
-added per pixel normals, this is a test
-various code restructurements for higher performance
-changed AO blur for better visuals and sharper AO result
-a lot more I probably forgot

Woohoo! Thanks Marty.
Now where's that github link (I keep forgetting to bookmark it)...
EDIT: not on github, but on page 1 thanks. Is it going to get merged?
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Martigen.
The topic has been locked.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #122 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Yeah, right now all of my AO shaders have a weird bug on 3.0 where they take the color buffer as input instead of the depth buffer,, no clue why. MXAO 1.2 on github works fine but the ported 1.5.7 not. Strangely some other AO of mine also displays this bug.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #123 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I will try the new version out, currently playing XCOM2 which MXAO works perfectly with. I will report back with my thoughts later. Just gonna make it work Reshade 2. I managed to get work though it took me long time put in with other effects.
  • genstar
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #124 by genstar Replied by genstar on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
but with the 1.5.7 version, I can achieve this image and how? "AO + Skylighting"
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by genstar.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #125 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I'm not Marty so I can not be 100% sure. But I asked a similar question and from what I understand the skylight technique was a experiment. This was not compatible to the in direct light technique that MXAO uses now. Also it would have a large performance hit. So it's not used in the updated version
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #126 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Cool, I testing now. Will share stuff while see stuff. I am using this with Reshade 2.03f I replaced the Reshade.fx with new 1.5.7 MXAO code test with 64bit dx11 game XCOM2. First, I am no expert, so if stuff is weird it can be contributed to my lack of knowledge rather then bugs.

The first thing I noticed, yes it seem to run with better performance. But my text was looking weird. So put on debug and found what happening
Warning: Spoiler!

However inside the game I think it worked out well with bMXAOPerPixelNormalsEnable enabled. Though I wanna test this more. When usually play this game I have MXAO bind to key that turn off when I am in the HQ part as their is a lot gui and MXAO doesnt add anything.

I really like the new debug IL and AO interface.

Also what's awesome, the swinging grass looks awesome now. It blends in very good. This I didnt manage in other versions. Also there is often trees in the background that looked very pixely(is that word?). They look awesome now and doesnt grab your eye. As the rendering distance is very low in XCOM 2, I use AO FADE Start of 0.11 and fade out .31.

Also I dont feel need to bump blursharpness to 2, it works very well just 1

Ok I spent some time get it to look nice in XCOM 2. I just say WOW. I did a very performance settings with IL it only chewed 10fps from me, If remember correctly similar setings with other MXAO was chewing about 15 fps

Pictures

My settings:

I really look forward to have it in Reshade 3 in future.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Sunesha.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #127 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I tried out Hitman Blood Money. Though the whole AO just turns off and on again. Had similar behavior before with both MXAO and NVIDIA driver enforced HBAO

Also in my never ending hope, NO Deus EX Human Revolution just work in pause menu. Only driver enforced HBAO works that you have to hex edit to work correctly.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #128 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Yeah well the per pixel normals grab whatever's onscreen so it also embosses your HUD, if visible^^ Reflective Bumpmapping does the same. As I said, it's a test.
  • WSH303
More
7 years 6 months ago #129 by WSH303 Replied by WSH303 on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I have an issue with using the newest version of MXAO. I just copy/pasted the code to MXAO.fx file and im getting following error:

preprocessor error: redefinition of "RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE"

Am I doing it wrong ? :silly:
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #130 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Yeah well the per pixel normals grab whatever's onscreen so it also embosses your HUD, if visible^^ Reflective Bumpmapping does the same. As I said, it's a test.

I do not say is bad one. It works in the game. I will try it out bit more though. I just noticed that text looked weird directly. The text looks weird with just AO as it overlays on it. But I think there is nothing to do. Though my viewer people noticed that my game looks very nice. Also testing without other shader tools is hard to reevaluate. I am so used with nice contrast, colors and sharpening so game looks so plain =)

I am though super happy. it looks better with the small details like grass and tree branches and that without costing more and even costing less performance

XCOM2 is bad candidate as it over lays tons gui stuff. I am curious, so I gonna try the new MXAO in Witcher 3 later in the week. I share my thoughts then.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #131 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I test 1.57 with Splinter Cell Blacklist, it has built-in HBAO+ So yeah I just show you the pictures. I think they speak from themselves

My settings, tried to match hbao+ ao intensity.

PICTURES
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Sunesha. Reason: Forgot tags
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #132 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Should just add don't take notice of the green FPS number. I was rendering big audio files and this small test was something to do when my computer was occupied with rendering
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #133 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hm, considering that these AO implementations use the internal data and don't need normals etc precomputed, these are good numbers, I guess.
For radii like these you can have boundary check unchecked (man my choice of words...) to get a lil more performance.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Marty McFly.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #134 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Hm, considering that these AO implementations use the internal data and don't need normals etc precomputed, these are good numbers, I guess.
For radii like these you can have boundary check unchecked (man my choice of words...) to get a lil more performance.

Good to know. I kinda keep boundray check ckecked(using your words :whistle: ) just because it helped me once, So now I leave it on, but will start checking it more later. I think MXAO did better than HBAO+ and game was built it in.

Though in this scene there wasn't much for IL todo.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #135 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Guys, I cannot port newest MXAO to 3.0. For some weird reason, the data in the normal map texture gets lost, idk how.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #136 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Gremlins in the machine. I blame them.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #137 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Apparently it is the case in the older shaders as well, just the old code did by accident not show this behaviour. Welp.

EDIT: Seems like the presence of other AO shaders screws up the rest. Idk how. So the new shader works if I use MXAO 1.2 along with it, one of the two is fucked up.
  • Sunesha
More
7 years 6 months ago #138 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I always seen code as magic. I was alpha testing a audio software. After 3 months all was wondering what happened that made software crash. It turned out to be a fade out on clip on track 18 made the project file to crash. As most people didn't use more than 17 tracks and most didn't use fade out on clips preferred to use mixer automation. So yeah 3 months it took to find it. What went wrong and why I left to the magicians
  • Martigen
More
7 years 6 months ago #139 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Apparently it is the case in the older shaders as well, just the old code did by accident not show this behaviour. Welp.

EDIT: Seems like the presence of other AO shaders screws up the rest. Idk how. So the new shader works if I use MXAO 1.2 along with it, one of the two is fucked up.

What does Crosire say? I mean, does the issue lie in Resahde's compilation or the code itself?

We needs it in 3.0! *throws sex, drugs and rock & roll at screen*
  • Estebanium
More
7 years 6 months ago #140 by Estebanium Replied by Estebanium on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hi guys,

I tried MXAO in Skyrim with ENB, but I got some really strange results. I copied Reshade to Skyrim folder and aktivated the dll in the enblocal.ini:
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=ReShade32.dll

It is working ingame but it seems like it is not working very well. I have silhouettes of the ambient occlusion at the wrong position. So every five to ten seconds the screen is flickering, resulting in the first image. Then the screen turns to normal and it looks like it is working.

If you move your head then the AO silhouettes are at the wrong position, they move with the rotation of the camera, resulting in the second image. Any ideas?
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.