Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #161 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Performance makes it not really applicable.
The topic has been locked.
  • Elimina
More
7 years 5 months ago #162 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Performance makes it not really applicable.

Can high end parts like a 1080 handle it?
  • Seaclean
More
7 years 4 months ago #163 by Seaclean Replied by Seaclean on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hello Marty. I've known your work for a few years, so it's really an honour to finally address you.

First, thank you so much for your time and effort on making and constantly improving your effects.

Now, I'm building a nice preset (Reshade 3.0.5) for World of Warcraft and I've experimented with MXAO. It looks stunning and really adds depth to foliage, building and various models. However, the effect seem to randomly flicker (switch on and off) every once in a while. It wouldn't be so intruding if it weren't so apparent when it happens.

Do you have any idea what might cause this? I've read your original comment and tweaked a few things with no luck. I would really love to have a stable MXAO. ^_^
  • Gar Stazi
More
7 years 4 months ago #164 by Gar Stazi Replied by Gar Stazi on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Marty explains it here: reshade.me/forum/shader-troubleshooting/...n-dark-souls-3#18477

World of Warcraft is an online game, so every effect that uses the depth buffer won't work properly (like MXAO)
  • Seaclean
More
7 years 4 months ago #165 by Seaclean Replied by Seaclean on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Thank you so much for responding.

Ah! That would explain it, I guess. There's no way to to bypass or otherwise fix this then? I'm assuming every game with an online component (Battlefield series, for instance) would suffer from the same problem?
  • Gar Stazi
More
7 years 4 months ago #166 by Gar Stazi Replied by Gar Stazi on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Turning off MXAO when you play online is the quick solution
  • Martigen
More
7 years 4 months ago #167 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
From one Marty to another -- did you get ever get the latest MXAO working with Reshade 3.0?

We needs it! [shush Gollum, shush]
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #168 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Yeah I did but I kinda forgot about ReShade when ENB for Skyrim SE came out. Dx11 is cool :p
  • Nerrel
More
7 years 3 months ago #169 by Nerrel Replied by Nerrel on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Yeah I did but I kinda forgot about ReShade when ENB for Skyrim SE came out. Dx11 is cool :p

Not to be a bother, but is the 3.0 compatible version available for download? I'm a fan of this shader and have been looking forward to the update.
  • acrox999
More
7 years 3 months ago #170 by acrox999 Replied by acrox999 on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I guess that explains why MXAO doesn't work at all with American Truck Simulator? But the shader file says "only for ReShade 3.X"?

As soon as I turn on MXAO, the game just stop rendering but it's still running fine, just without graphics, stuck at where the last frame was.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #171 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Then don't experiment. With ReShade 3.0, there are strange things going on...
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: acrox999
  • acrox999
More
7 years 3 months ago #172 by acrox999 Replied by acrox999 on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Eh, not really trying to experiment but I guess I'll wait until no more strange things are going on. B)
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #173 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Well, seems like I cannot continue MXAO development.
For some reason, newer MXAO builds make the application crash (which MUST NOT happen). I know the respective code parts (SSIL in loop) but not why those cause issues - either a shader compiles or not.
Crosire once said that it was a driver bug and he filed a bug report. Now this shit happens again and it's a bitch to debug because sometimes it crashes the app, sometimes not. Only on D3D11 though. No restructuring of the code works, I'm out of ideas.
Only idea I see is cutting IL functionality entirely.

EDIT: There is a way to keep SSIL but it'd require to remove UI vars for enabling/disabling IL and backface check, and removing boundary check entirely.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Marty McFly.
  • Exilium
More
7 years 2 months ago #174 by Exilium Replied by Exilium on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Remove IL and done, honestly, I do not like IL, I've never used and will never use, killer performance and takes away all effect of AO ..
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #175 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Then people must switch to inferior alternatives if they want IL. And it all depends on your configuration if AO is gone or not - on fast cards IL is not noticeable except for high sample counts.
  • Exilium
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #176 by Exilium Replied by Exilium on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
If you make a separate IL from AO, will still crashing?
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Exilium.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #177 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
AO and IL belong together, you can't calculate IL without the occlusion data.
  • Martigen
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #178 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: AO and IL belong together, you can't calculate IL without the occlusion data.

One more solution: make two shader techniques, both under the MXAO shader .fx file -- one hard has IL hardcoded on, the other has IL hardcoded off. People can choose which once to use. Profit!!!

Edit: or if having large swathes of code duplicated in a single file feels wrong or impacts performance, just make two separate .fx files.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Martigen.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #179 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Well, I chose to make it toggleable per preprocessor. Different techniques or files will usually end up in poor configs where people use both.
  • LegoPepper
More
7 years 2 months ago #180 by LegoPepper Replied by LegoPepper on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Martigen wrote:

Marty McFly wrote: AO and IL belong together, you can't calculate IL without the occlusion data.

One more solution: make two shader techniques, both under the MXAO shader .fx file -- one hard has IL hardcoded on, the other has IL hardcoded off. People can choose which once to use. Profit!!!

You can disable IL by setting the line #define bMXAOIndirectLightingEnable to 0.
Looks like it is off by default.
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.