distortion correction - conformal perspective

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 week ago #61 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
I don't exactly understand, what you mean by double elliptical?
It is possible to use any of those cartographic projection from Blinky within Perfect Perspective. But note that most games limit FOV to 110°, while Blinky enables 180-360°

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mr. Smiley
More
5 years 6 days ago #62 by Mr. Smiley Replied by Mr. Smiley on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
By double elliptical I meant two circles intersecting, like how our vision is basically two circles intersecting to make things sharper and clearer, or how we look through binoculars to magnify something. Since Perfect Perspective magnifies I was hoping a double circle or sideways 8 effect can be applied... I hope that makes sense.

If there is a chance something like Blinky can be applied to Perfect Perspective that would be great. Something to make FoV in games more interesting. Since you do have the option to duplicate an image to the corners when the screen is curved, it could add a chance to extend the FoV in games artificially beyond what was meant by applying what is to the left, right, top, and bottom of a player character like what Blinky is doing to extend the FoV artificially and more naturally. I'm actually not sure on those thoughts when it comes to something like shaders for reshade, you would know more than me on this though.

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 day ago #63 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
The center of distortion must be at the image center vanishing point. Making two intersecting circles would result in double vision like VR screen-shot .

What would make image more like human vision is "Vertical Curviness Amount".
Default 0.5 is more or less, view from two-eyes merged into one, if you will :)

Extending FOV beyond what's already there on the screen is currently impossible in pixel shaders.
Blinky renders 6 views to get 360 degrees of view, while games with ReShade render only one.

Extending FOV is possible with vertex shaders, but they are not supported by ReShade.

• canceralp
More
3 years 7 months ago #64 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
This shader made my FOV hacked - "Univisium" (18:9) Horizon Zero Dawn experience a lot better! Thank you.

May I make a suggestion? I tried this shader in different games with positive results but something cought my attention; every game places their HUD in different places. Some even are affected by the aspect ratio. So, how about being able to move the final picture on the screen vertically and horizontally? Just like old VGA monitors.

For example, Horizon Zero Dawn has a compass on top of the screen. After I set my correction values, I zoom a little bit so the unused area can be minimal on the screen. Bu that crops the compass. If I can move the picture a little bit down afterwards, I can save a great portion of the HUD.

The opposite can be true for another game. If I remember correctly, Skyrim had its HUD on the bottom as 3 horizontal bars. Then, moving the picture a little upwards would prevent the HUD from being cropped.

Again, thank you for the great shader.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fu-Bama

• WSH303
More
3 years 7 months ago #65 by WSH303 Replied by WSH303 on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
Hello,

Cool shader, like it very much. And I have an idea how it could be improved a bit. Would it be possible to take in account physical curvature of a screen? Lots of ultra wide LCDs are curved.

Have a nice weekend :)

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #66 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
Thank you for the feedback, glad to hear you like this effect.

I added the offset option to new version 3.6 so you can now un-hide the UI.
For correct view on curved displays you can now set 'Vertical distortion' above 1.0.
There's also a usage-manual when you mouse-over technique.

Since update 3.5, there's a physically based vignette.
It can be used as a standalone vignetting filter using this settings:
[PerfectPerspective.fx]
Projection=3
K=1.000000
Vignette=1
BorderCorner=0.0

The vignetting effect is driven by FOV setting and projection type and represents "natural illumination falloff".

Valorant:
Warning: Spoiler!

Wreckfest:

Vignette:

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Fu-Bama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canceralp

• canceralp
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #67 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
I have just discovered UI Mask feature. It and Perfect Perspective are really a good duo. Here are comparison pictures from Horizeon Zero Dawn in 21:9.

BTW, I have been working on Panini Projection (not as a coder, but as a person who makes drawings) and tried to create a formula for Perfect perspective in excel. Basically you enter some values and it throws the others for you. It's middle point among "perfect" perfect perspective, undersampling, unsharpening and screen distortion.
I tried it on these games:
Horizon Zero Dawn
Batman Arkham Series
Crysis
Metro Exodus
The Forest
Control
Sekiro

Here is the Google Drive link for the FOV calculator
Here are Some Pictures
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by canceralp. Reason: Links added

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #68 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
Very nice chart.
Do some ultra-wide games (21:9) use hFOV locked to 16:9 inner window?
I'm asking as I could add an option for 16:9-locked FOV Type.

• canceralp
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #69 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
Horizon zero dawn, assassin's creed unity and syndicate, hellblade Senua's sacrifice are the ones I know of that use 16:9 as base FOV. But only Horizon allows for FOV adjusting, so the others shouldn't matter much.

Assassin's Creed FOVs are a disaster, anyway. I believe, what we need is a database of games with their FOV values and their bases.

BTW, is there any way that you can detach vignette effect from the final image? What I want is so hard to describe without a picture but since all I have is my phone, I'll try;

Imagine applying some correction and zooming enough that there are only 4 small corners that are mirrored. If I select border Alpha as 0, they are at full brightness. When the Vignette is applied on top of the image, physical corners are bright because they are not effected by the vignette, while perspective borders are darkened by the vignette.

Now imagine the vignette effect properly starting from the physical corners of the screen, now the mirrored "filling" parts will also be darkened.

I know this way the vignette effect wouldn't be perfectly accurate to the lens type, but as an artistic choice the screen would be looking better without poppingly bright corners.

I also know that a vignette shader can be placed on top of Perfect Perspective but I'm just telling as an idea. Doing things under the same shader would be more practical and performance efficient.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by canceralp.

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #70 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
I added an option for vignette on borders with new version 3.7, this was quite simple. There's also 16:9-locked FOV type for ultrawide mods.
I also optimized code performance, following this guide
www.humus.name/Articles/Persson_LowLevelThinking.pdf

Thanks for feedback.

• canceralp
More
2 years 6 months ago #71 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
May I ask for another feature?

"here in this link"  there is an example of Panini Projection. However, this one is slightly different from Perfect Perspective shader's. It doesn't warp the outer horizontal frame in any way, it only squeezes the sides. This type of projection is less realistic but it gives two big advantages:
1) it preserves vertical FOV and doesn't lose any pixels. This is perfect for games like Assassin's Creed Unity, Syndicate since they already come with very low vertical FOV.
2) Using UIMask to preserve menus like this is a lot easier. 

Imagine having a 1920x1080 screen. This way, I can force the game to run in 2560x1080 in windowed mode and shrink it from the sides to 1920x1080, without giving it an American football-like shape. UIMask can easily restore the menus. Finally, when the window is center aligned on the screen, the result would be a 16:9 picture with Panini perspective. 

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #72 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective

1) The example you provided indeed does change vertical FOV, since aspect ratio of both images is extremely different. If you would crop the second "panini" image to the same aspect ratio as the source above, vertical FOV would be extremely lower and a lot of pixels would not get displayed. Imagine the aspect ratio being your monitor.

New version 5.0.5 released.
  • New anamorphic mode was added, with separate projection setting for vertical and horizontal axes (macro).
  • Linear gamma workflow was improved, works with HDR monitors and 10-bit input.
  • Dithering was added to fix banding of vignette.
  • Debug mode has distortion grid.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Fu-Bama.

• valerio
More
1 year 4 months ago #73 by valerio Replied by valerio on topic distortion correction - conformal perspective
Does anyone know of a way to adapt perfect perspective to triple screens usage, so to leave the center screen untouched (flat), and to warp only the side screens? I've seen this shader managing that, even if overall it looks way more primitive than perfect perspective
Or, just in case I missed it, is there a general consensus in how to improve the projection distorsion in games that do not implement simultaneous multi projection?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.