Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Luma Sharpen

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #1

Hello,
I would like to share with you new version of Luma Sharpen filter. It produces less aliasing artifacts with better performance.

Here's original filter sharpen layer:

And here's mine:

Some pics from Alien: Isolation
Before:

and After:

Before:

After:

Shader code:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Wicked Sick, BeTa, Alex_outer, kaicooper, Scorpio82CO, jmx777, DeMondo, Qsimil, andrew and this user have 16 others thankyou

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #2

That second debug screenshot is beautiful. I'm curious, is your new luma shader also implementing a form of anti-aliasing and then sharpening? Or is the lack of aliasing in your version a result of some genius shader writing :) ?

I guess what i'm really asking is, would we get the same(ish) results by using a form of anti aliasing followed by the old version of lumasharpen as we would by just using your shader by itself?
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by SandyCheeks.

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #3

This looks excellent, thank you! Will give it a go.

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #4

SandyCheeks wrote:
That second debug screenshot is beautiful. I'm curious, is your new luma shader also implementing a form of anti-aliasing and then sharpening? Or is the lack of aliasing in your version a result of some genius shader writing :) ?

I guess what i'm really asking is, would we get the same(ish) results by using a form of anti aliasing followed by the old version of lumasharpen as we would by just using your shader by itself?

He's using a different blur kernel than original luma sharpen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SandyCheeks

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #5

I tried it last night and now it's my new default luma sharpen. Great work!

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #6

SandyCheeks wrote:

Thank you ;)
There's no anti-aliasing implemented in this shader, just approach to high-pass filter, or blur as Marty McFly noted, is different.
You won't get the same result with the old version as it implements it's own aliasing even to anti-aliased source. As seen on debug example.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Fu-Bama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SandyCheeks

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #7

robgrab wrote:
I tried it last night and now it's my new default luma sharpen. Great work!
Thank you. :cheer:
Maybe it should replace the default Luma Sharpen in Reshade-shaders?
What do you think? I can create pull request.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WalterDasTrevas

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #8

This shader is essentially the same as lumasharpen, except using overlay blending for the result and setting the "sharp_clamp" to such a large value it does not really do much anymore. The speed seems to be identical to lumasharpen for me.

Have fun experimenting :)

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 1 week ago #9

I tried this shader out for a couple days with Fallout 4. Really like the results and how it looks. Definitely a LumaSharpen alternative.

I used it with Fallout 4 with TAA(Blurry but a very calm picture in motion) and this settings was decent:
Sharpen: 2,400
BT709
Clamp: 0,600
Highpass:1

I gonna check out later how it looks with a game with SMAA which has a lot more creepy crawly pixels in another game. But this sharpener is very subtle and nice.

But I can see how I will use this instead of the LumaSharpen in most cases. Though I like to use LumaSharpen with a low offset bias setting and high sharpen setting. If there was depth-based sharpen tool I would love that. I use selective sharpening in photowork in similar way. And depth based control sharpen would be super awesome. But not sure how it would look in a game.

Thank you, it is a vert nice sharpener on its own. More alternatives is never a bad thing

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 6 days ago #10

what about making two modes for it one just depth based and then a third mode using depth to compare to the original pass to help only sharpen what you want more specifically then just a broad range offered atm?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 6 days ago #11

Kleio420 wrote:
what about making two modes for it one just depth based and then a third mode using depth to compare to the original pass to help only sharpen what you want more specifically then just a broad range offered atm?
What do you mean by depth-driven sharpen? Should it leave smooth transitions between foreground-background objects edges, like Panavision lenses vimeo.com/167050590 and sharpen only foreground/background-planes content? Or sharpen foreground and leave background untouched?
I can experiment with both. I just want to know what you imagine the depth-driven sharpening would do.
Last Edit: 9 months 5 days ago by Fu-Bama.

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 5 days ago #12

Fu-Bama wrote:
Kleio420 wrote:
What do you mean by depth-driven sharpen? Should it leave smooth transitions between foreground-background objects edges, like Panavision lenses vimeo.com/167050590 and sharpen only foreground/background-planes content? Or sharpen foreground and leave background untouched?
I can experiment with both. I just want to know what you imagine the depth-driven sharpening would do.
similar to the edited version of luma sharpen that was made for enb usage was thinking you could use depth as a way to lower the radius of whats sharpened rather then what appears to be applied to the entire image?

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 3 days ago #13

My idea of a depth--based sharpener. I show instead of tell with help of photoshop and a video. A bit long (5min) :whistle:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kleio420, jas01, Fu-Bama

New Luma Sharpen 9 months 2 days ago #14

Sunesha wrote:
My idea of a depth--based sharpener. I show instead of tell with help of photoshop and a video. A bit long (5min) :whistle:
if a sharpen shader for reshade were to work more like that it would be great

New Luma Sharpen 8 months 3 weeks ago #15

Sunesha wrote:
https://youtu.be/o7vMpI7PwUU

Ok, I added depth mask to the shader. :)
By default it's set to preview mode for the sharpening start and stop.

Shader Code:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kleio420, Scorpio82CO, DeMondo, Ryukou36, Sunesha, Marty, Rudy102, someone_for

New Luma Sharpen 8 months 3 weeks ago #16

I also made Panavison-like sharpen version that has Depth high-pass mask.
It gives some interesting results

Shader Code:
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Fu-Bama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scorpio82CO, Ryukou36, Marty, Rudy102, someone_for

New Luma Sharpen 8 months 3 weeks ago #17

it is last version ?

New Luma Sharpen 8 months 3 weeks ago #18

Chavolatra wrote:
it is last version ?
Panavision one and one with depth mask are two different sharpen effects. But I would suggest to use the Panavison one, since it solves the problem that Sunesha mentioned in the video in a more automatic way.
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Fu-Bama.

New Luma Sharpen 8 months 3 weeks ago #19

Great work. More filters are always good.

When I used it for Civ 6, I noticed that it accentuates white edges more than the default LumaSharpen filter, which I prefer in that case.

The accentuated bright edges are maybe something to look out for and I guess it depends primarily on the use case and personal preference which filter to use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fu-Bama

New Luma Sharpen 8 months 3 weeks ago #20

gives beautiful results in image quality, tremendous!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fu-Bama
  • Page: