New Luma Sharpen

• Wicked Sick
More
6 years 1 month ago #21 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic New Luma Sharpen
I am really liking it too. Thanks a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeMondo
More
6 years 1 month ago #22 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic New Luma Sharpen
Awesome shader Fu-Bama ! Thank you !!

• Chavolatra
More
6 years 1 month ago #23 by Chavolatra Replied by Chavolatra on topic New Luma Sharpen
i can use this sharpen filter with unsharp mask.?

i use adaptive sharpen with unsharp mask and have more better combination for games ?

• sets
More
6 years 1 month ago #24 by sets Replied by sets on topic New Luma Sharpen
not liking this shaders, it makes the colors brighter

• Sunesha
More
6 years 1 month ago #25 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic New Luma Sharpen

sets wrote: not liking this shaders, it makes the colors brighter

Try to lower the Sharpen Clamp Value to lower values and it will not "brighten" so much. May need to bump the sharp values

• Sunesha
More
6 years 1 month ago #26 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic New Luma Sharpen

Fu-Bama wrote:
Ok, I added depth mask to the shader. :)
By default it's set to preview mode for the sharpening start and stop.

Marvelous, I played around with it. It is really awesome, it works really good.

I hit some snags, it seems that the shader is not working with weird depth outputs. For example the games tried with reverse depth output, like Dishonored 2, Fallout 4 and Kingdom Come Deliverance where I could only sharpen the foreground as probably because of the reversed depth output. However the game could use just fine was Hitman that doesn't has its output reversed. Not sure if did something wrong or not, I tried to use Pre-Processor settings to flip it around without results. I know that unity engine based game has the output mirrored.

I think start understand the shader correctly. After red color it sharpens and green means it doesnt sharpen. Blur near and far is to blend the red color and green color sharpen nicely. Depth gamma for how much to blend the depth based mask you created. At least this is to my undestanding, would love to be corrected :whistle:

Thank you so much for working on this shader. I thought about how cool a depth based sharpener would be for long time so it is so cool to have one in the toolbox.

I try do a small instruction video of the shader as a thanks when gotten more used to the shader =)

• Sunesha
More
6 years 1 month ago #27 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic New Luma Sharpen

Fu-Bama wrote: I also made Panavison-like sharpen version that has Depth high-pass mask.
It gives some interesting results

This really works well and super easy to use. Not sure how you did pull this off. I really like how it just leaves shape outlines alone. The effect is real nice. Think sharpening high frequency detail far away just lead to well contrasted pixels. Especially out lines gives a weird unnatural contrast when sharpnend. Thought that is kinda what sharpen does.

Looks really natural and still sharpens stuff like roughness of a wall. It is kinda like a automatic selective sharpener.

• Sunesha
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #28 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic New Luma Sharpen
Congrats on finishing Filmic Anamorph Sharpen to the shader github. :cheer:

I mentioned it when speaking of the Filmicdepthsharpener, depth input is not responsive to the reshader preprocessor Definitions. So the shader is just behaving correctly if depth is "normal", meaning when reversed, upside down or logarithmic it is like stated. Which of course limit shader working correctly with many games. To illustrate what I mean, I attached a image of Unity engine game, which almost always has a upside down depth input.

You probably aware of this limitations, but in case you was not took time time to whine about it ;)

The reshade pre-processor depth I am referring to (saved in dxgi.ini or similar)
RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE=1000.0
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_UPSIDE_DOWN=0
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED=0,
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC=0
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Sunesha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fu-Bama

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #29 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic New Luma Sharpen

Sunesha wrote: Congrats on finishing Filmic Anamorph Sharpen to the shader github. :cheer:

I mentioned it when speaking of the Filmicdepthsharpener, depth input is not responsive to the reshader preprocessor Definitions. So the shader is just behaving correctly if depth is "normal", meaning when reversed, upside down or logarithmic it is like stated. Which of course limit shader working correctly with many games. To illustrate what I mean, I attached a image of Unity engine game, which almost always has a upside down depth input.

You probably aware of this limitations, but in case you was not took time time to whine about it ;)

The reshade pre-processor depth I am referring to (saved in dxgi.ini or similar)

RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE=1000.0
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_UPSIDE_DOWN=0
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED=0,
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC=0
i.imgur.com/TrqvLiC.png

It's fixed now, you can download new package.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sunesha, Marty

• Sunesha
More
6 years 1 month ago #30 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic New Luma Sharpen

Fu-Bama wrote: It's fixed now, you can download new package.

Thank you, much appreciated

• thalixte
More
6 years 1 month ago #31 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic New Luma Sharpen
Sorry for this noob question, but where is the package ?

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #32 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic New Luma Sharpen
When you install ReShade on some game it will ask you for permission to download filters. That's one way to get it.
Or just jump here: github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Fu-Bama.

• thalixte
More
6 years 1 month ago #33 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic New Luma Sharpen
Ah, it has been added to the reshade shaders in Crosire repo. Didn't see that. Thks !

• conan2k
More
6 years 1 month ago #34 by conan2k Replied by conan2k on topic New Luma Sharpen

Fu-Bama wrote: When you install ReShade on some game it will ask you for permission to download filters. That's one way to get it.
Or just jump here: github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders

Sorry if I'm missing something but there is only "FilmicAnamorphSharpen.fx" in the ReShade repository. Is the updated "FilmicSharpenWithDepth.fx" available somewhere (the one with fixes for depth-related issues mentioned by Sunesha)?

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #35 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic New Luma Sharpen
Yes, "FilmicAnamorphSharpen.fx" is the updated "FilmicSharpenWithDepth.fx".
The following user(s) said Thank You: conan2k

• B4rr3l
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #36 by B4rr3l Replied by B4rr3l on topic New Luma Sharpen
actually, performance is worse than default 3.1.2 Luma sharpen and I found it more jagged, just to let you know.. 0.08ms for luma sharpen vs 1.4ms for Filmic and luma was more efficient and the trees got less jagged and brighter, when I set clamp values to 0.85 and strong to 0.9 it got a bit better but still not as good as default luma sharpen.

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #37 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic New Luma Sharpen

B4rr3l wrote: actually, performance is worse than default 3.1.2 Luma sharpen and I found it more jagged, just to let you know.. 0.08ms for luma sharpen vs 1.4ms for Filmic and luma was more efficient and the trees got less jagged and brighter, when I set clamp values to 0.85 and strong to 0.9 it got a bit better but still not as good as default luma sharpen.

FilmicAnamorphSharpen uses 4 samples per pixel for Back-Buffer (RGB) and 8 samples for Depth (Gray). I think that's the main performance eater.

You may want to try luma sharpen without depth-edge masking functionality:
Warning: Spoiler!

What game have you used for testing? DX9, DX11 or OpenGL?
Can you send picture of those jagged trees?
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Fu-Bama.

• Chavolatra
More
6 years 4 days ago #38 by Chavolatra Replied by Chavolatra on topic New Luma Sharpen
do you can have implements sharper with bright clamp and dark clamp equals unsharp mask in you shader with depth buffer ?

• knowom
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #39 by knowom Replied by knowom on topic New Luma Sharpen
The thing to do for a "depth based sharpener" I think would be a FOV based gradient unmask sharp type of effect take the center of the image render and split it and decrease the sharpener strength outwardly to the edge of the screen. I don't know the code on how you'd go about it, but I think that technique would look great as you could nudge up the sharpness in the center of the screen image render which is the focal point. If might even reduce the processing overhead as well since you'd only be sharpening the focal point at the same amount, but dead center would be a lot crisper sharpness.

support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECAR...1/S0353_GradBlur.png
Basically a lot like this except with a unmask sharpener rather than a blur and split vertically from the center of the image to the screen edges. You could even has a toggle for a second pass to split it in the middle horizontally as well for more of a cross hair outward based sharpen effect.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by knowom.

• Pdguru
More
5 years 8 months ago #40 by Pdguru Replied by Pdguru on topic New Luma Sharpen
Excellent work - thank you.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.