Kuwahara & Anisotropic

• Eideren
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #1 by Eideren Kuwahara & Anisotropic was created by Eideren
Hey,
I was porting a bunch of shaders I had laying around over to MPC-HC and I kind of stumbled on this software so I thought why not port it on here as well while I'm at it.

The filters included in this release are two versions of the kuwahara filter, the first one is a slightly tweaked copy of the original and the second is the first Anisotropic version from code.google.com/archive/p/gpuakf/ .

The second filter won't compile on old shader models and while it can run decently on good hardware, it isn't really supposed to be used in real time, 'relies too heavily on nested loops and kind of likes to eat all of your GPU while in configuration mode, be very careful when fiddling with it !

Here's a preview of what the first shader looks like :

And the rest of the album: imgur.com/a/EUCWM
I don't have any screenshot of the second shader, it's very similar but drawn with softer strokes.

DL link : google drive
Extract and replace your folders by those contained in the archive, you can keep your "ReShade.fxh" if you already have one though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Apocalypso, andrew, WalterDasTrevas, Zarathustra, AssassinsDecree

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zarathustra
More
6 years 1 month ago #2 by Zarathustra Replied by Zarathustra on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
Thanks a lot! It's great to have some artistic shaders. Even if I don't play with them I love to use them for screenshots.
Btw, do u know any good app or online site to create high quality artistic versions of images? The sites I know usually limit the image size quite severely.

• Eideren
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #3 by Eideren Replied by Eideren on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
I don't know of any but if you want to use those filters you could check out the demo application that the source for the anisotropic version provided ( code.google.com/archive/p/gpuakf/downloads )

• Sh1nRa358
More
6 years 1 month ago #4 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
so how close is this to the aniso filtering found in nvidia card menu and most games?

• Eideren
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #5 by Eideren Replied by Eideren on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
It isn't related, anisotropic filtering is used to correct texture mapping onto surfaces while anisotropic kuwahara is a filter derived from kuwahara which modifies an entire image based on its "directionnality"( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropy ) to produce something that looks more abstract than its input.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sh1nRa358

• Zarathustra
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #6 by Zarathustra Replied by Zarathustra on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic

Eideren wrote: I don't know of any but if you want to use those filters you could check out the demo application that the source for the anisotropic version provided ( code.google.com/archive/p/gpuakf/downloads )

Great, thanks a lot. I used that app on a few of my Total War - Warhammer shots and I like the result a lot. On most of them I applied a sharpening filter from a photo app afterwards. Looking forward to trying your shader.

Here is a small TW-WH2 - Kuwahara gallery

Before After example:

Another example:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Zarathustra.

• Tojkar
More
6 years 1 month ago #7 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
I tried the shaders in AC:O. The kuwahara filter works as it should but anistropic filter produces only black screen regardless of the settings.

• Eideren
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #8 by Eideren Replied by Eideren on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
I didn't initialize the exposed float variables properly, try it again now and tell me if those changes did anything. It probably wasn't the issue though, I don't have AC:O so could you check the logs for me and tell me if there are any suspicious lines ?

• Tojkar
More
6 years 1 month ago #9 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic

Eideren wrote: I didn't initialize the exposed float variables properly, try it again now and tell me if those changes did anything. It probably wasn't the issue though, I don't have AC:O so could you check the logs for me and tell me if there are any suspicious lines ?

Actually, the problem was that I had missed adding the texture folder correctly. Now it works as it should. Sorry, totally my bad.

• miwalker
More
5 years 9 months ago #10 by miwalker Replied by miwalker on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
Hey, this is awesome!

I was wondering about that last image you posted, where it looks like you applied this shader to lord the rings video footage? That's something I've been trying to do since forever, find a video player where I can use resahde within it, however when trying out MPC-HC, I was unable to get reshade working with it.

I was wondering how you were able to do it? Or is it something different, like porting reshade shaders to MPC-HC format shaders?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eideren

• Eideren
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #11 by Eideren Replied by Eideren on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
Hey, sorry about the late reply, the forum doesn't seem to send me email when new replies comes in.

Yep, I originally wrote them as a bunch of shaders in MPC-HC's format so I won't be able to help you that much.
this thread mentioned that MPV player works with reshade, did you try that out ?
If you have the technical ability to port them to MPC-HC I can help you out with the API and syntax, if all you want are my MPC-HC shaders I could just upload those for you.

• Tojkar
More
5 years 8 months ago #12 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
Kuwahara Anistropic does not seem to work on OpenGL games. Or to be specific, No Man's Sky. Works flawlessly on DX games and this is the only OpenGL game I have, so I'm not sure if it's game specific or renderer specific. It also could be a bug in ReShade as there seems to be some problems in the OpenGL-part of it.

The log shows nothing of use. The last entry is that Kuwahara Anistropic is being compiled. Then the game crashes instantly without giving ReShade any possibility to write any related errors to the log. Removing the shader fixes the crash and also the regular Kuwahara filter works just fine.

• Eideren
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #13 by Eideren Replied by Eideren on topic Kuwahara & Anisotropic
Anisotropic is fairly complex, I don't think that it works on Dx9 either, that said I still tried it out on "The Chronicles of Riddick" and on "Dota 2".
Dota 2 on opengl did indeed crash the game on compile.
Riddick is pretty old by now so I kind of expected it to fail to compile and it did but without crashing the entire application, perhaps because it failed on an earlier part of the code while dota 2 continued further and hit something that crashed the whole thing. So this seems more likely linked to reshade's support of newer versions of opengl and opengl in general; a bunch of the default shaders included, while they don't crash the game, can't compile on either games.

I'll debug this one out once reshade fixes some of the issues that it has with opengl.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.