Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 3 weeks ago #1

Hello guys,
I am searching for HUD-Masking shader for reshade 3, like mastereffect
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

• Marty McFly
  • We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!
  • Thank you received: 716
Well, I don't know if shaders can communicate with each other. One shader would have to "backup" the image at the very start and one shader that runs after all others would have to apply the mask using the backupped image at the start. Thing is, I have a fancy GUI mask where you can paint the areas with the mouse you want to have masked but I don't know how shaders can communicate so as long as I don't have any info about that, no GUI mask.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3

• crosire
  • Thank you received: 1384
That's pretty simple to do actually in 3.0 using two techniques. The first technique simply copies the back buffer into a texture. The second technique then uses that texture for masking. Now you only have to move the first technique to the top of the technique list in ReShade's in-game GUI and the second to wherever in the list you want the masking to occur.
Cheers, crosire =)

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #4

• moriz1
  • Thank you received: 16
would this technique allow reshade to completely ignore any UI element, especially variable ones like MMO UIs?

i know that GeDoSaTo allows you to pick exactly which rendering layer to apply its effects, but something like this is probably out of the scope for ReShade.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #5

• Marty McFly
Nope, you can only adjust the area onscreen where no effects are applied.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

just a hypothetical question after reading this.......does that mean green screening would be possible? like ingame, if the game supports a green screen, we could filter out the image?
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by SiriusHours.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #7

• Kleio420
  • Thank you received: 28
seems like the question everyone keeps beating around the bush about isnt about masking its loading reshade shaders at the correct time to bypass user interfaces generated by games and what is required for such a thing to be done as this im assuming im not expert tho would have to be done per game in some fashion

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #8

• Martigen
  • Thank you received: 35
Since the UI is always the closest element in any game where depth information is available, could it be possible to simply say 'If depth < 1, do not apply shader'?

Wouldn't help games without depth information, but it'd be good for those that do.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #9

• crosire
The GUI is not usually part of the scene depth buffer, so that doesn't work.
Cheers, crosire =)

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #10

• moriz1
perhaps a setting that forces reshade to only apply post processing to parts of the scene that DOES have depth buffer info?
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Marty McFly.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #11

• Marty McFly
Î accidentally edited your post instead of replying :p
----
That's not the problem: the depth buffer has data even where the GUI is. Say you have a minimap in one corner, the depth buffer does not contain data about the minimap but what's behind. Finding out if depth and color buffer "match" is something our brain is very good at but impossible to do in code. That's why in the GTA V menu you can't see if you're in the menu or not when using AO debug output because depth buffer is same.
UI masking is done in other modifications like ENB / GeDoSaTo by finding the point where the game applies the GUI elements and applying the own effects just before the GUI is created. ReShade can't do that on a generic basis; GeDoSaTo needs hashes specifically selected for the various games, this approach defeats the sense of ReShade being generic. ENB is specifically developed for one game, even one singular patch, so it's hardcoded. Also not applicable for ReShade.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Marty McFly.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #12

• moriz1
right, i understand now. i was under the false impression that the UI element would block depth buffer info from anything behind it, where it doesn't do anything of the sort.

i guess a true dynamic UI mask is simply out of scope for reshade to handle, unless some other tool comes along that can inject reshade shaders before the GUI is drawn.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #13

• Martigen
  • Thank you received: 35
Marty McFly wrote:
Î accidentally edited your post instead of replying :p
----
That's not the problem: the depth buffer has data even where the GUI is. Say you have a minimap in one corner, the depth buffer does not contain data about the minimap but what's behind. Finding out if depth and color buffer "match" is something our brain is very good at but impossible to do in code. That's why in the GTA V menu you can't see if you're in the menu or not when using AO debug output because depth buffer is same.
UI masking is done in other modifications like ENB / GeDoSaTo by finding the point where the game applies the GUI elements and applying the own effects just before the GUI is created. ReShade can't do that on a generic basis; GeDoSaTo needs hashes specifically selected for the various games, this approach defeats the sense of ReShade being generic. ENB is specifically developed for one game, even one singular patch, so it's hardcoded. Also not applicable for ReShade.
Thanks for the explanation Marty, that makes sense.

I guess there's one last possibility for this holy grail -- a (shader/technique?) that allows us to breakdown the scene by frame, such that we can determine at what point the UI is applied. Then, use this information to exclude it. It will always be different for every game, but once known, everyone can apply it.

*hopes*

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #14

• crosire
That's not how shaders work. A shader cannot break down a frame. It is applied at some point while that frame is generated and has no information about anything previously done to it. Sorry.
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by crosire.

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #15

• moriz1
@crosire

i vaguely recall that you mentioned something about working on an automatic UI detection method, so that reshade can apply effects before the UI is draw for each frame. is that still happening? or is that actually impossible?

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #16

• crosire
Was a plan, but I abandoned it. I don't have plans to add any more major feature to ReShade for a while. I simply do not have the time and stomach in the moment.
Cheers, crosire =)

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #17

• Marty McFly
Not even the long requested asm output thing? I remember we talked about that but I don't remember your response :whistle:
However, take your time mate!

HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? 1 month 2 weeks ago #18

• Kleio420
  • Thank you received: 28
crosire wrote:
Was a plan, but I abandoned it. I don't have plans to add any more major feature to ReShade for a while. I simply do not have the time and stomach in the moment.
so are you saying that reshade as is is not able to do similar on some games that GeDoSaTo is able to determine where the gui is rendered or just that its to time consuming to be worth looking to much into atm vs other things your time is better spent on ik me and im sure many others are just curious if this is on the back burner possible or not