POM Custom Effect

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #1 by cr4zyw3ld3r POM Custom Effect was created by cr4zyw3ld3r
Hello everyone,

I am total scrub when it comes to coding shaders HLSL or otherwise and I was curious if anyone could point me in the right direction for where to find proper formatting or rewrite this code to get it running with reshade. I will put additional files in as well if those end up working better.
Link

Help super appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
If you mean Parallax Occlusion Mapping with POM, trust me when I say you it's impossible to do properly on ReShade. I actually wrote a shader for that once, but multiple issues arose. Even Boris Vorontsov (ENBSeries developer and hundreds of times more experienced than me) couldn't do it when he tried to do it on GTASA back in the days, even with a lot more data available.

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #3 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
Actually Boris did succeed see this enbdev.com/ss_prlx_en.htm Edit: he just had parallax maps w/o Occlusion. But out of curiosity what is stopping this from being made? AFAIK both S.T.A.L.K.E.R SoC and Crysis were able to do POM in DX9 via shaders. See also this Cryengine 3 DX9 POM bit.ly/2lj0CUU
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by cr4zyw3ld3r. Reason: links were hard to get to

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
No one says it isn't possible - I did after all as well. The problem is masking and needed data to determine how to do POM.
You need a texture for it, similar like regular textures need an additional normal map texture to create proper normal mapping.
Somehow the shader has to know what to extrude. I did it with luma, by using the color data.
Next problem, you need geometry data, otherwise you don't know where one model ends (or texture ends) and another starts.
Sadly, Boris removed his screenshots from enbdev.com where he shows the issues of GTASA POM version (Skyrim ENB has a lot more data available so it's possible there) but they were similar to the picture here (that was my experiment, numerous bugs on object edges and screen borders - you just CANNOT workaround them anyhow, I tried for weeks).

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/11224507_900373876667233_1311474259885901337_o.jpg?oh=71edf316825cadee366bd94830095a1a&oe=593B3DC1
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Marty McFly.

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #5 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
Looks like you beat me to it I was going to share your own experiment https://www.facebook.com/MartyMcModding/photos/a.556689594368998.1073741833.542464412458183/900075613363726/?type=3&theater

Are you able to share this shader? See my work here I have used a number of tools that make this easier. Looking to go further with MArmoset/Substance Designer

My mod has only been possible thanks to your tools and I think even with this rough shader you created I can do amazing things with Shadermap and Pixplant tools that I used to create those textures.

I extract my depth/extrusion maps from the Normal Map that game designers made some time ago. And yes I am aware that POM/normals are best baked from a HQ 3D model, but I am not a 3D artist alas. With these tools I have had really good results and I think with your shader the combo would look great!!!!

P.S I have put links in all my posts BTW but you have to hover over them to see.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by cr4zyw3ld3r.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago #6 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
Oh, I don't think I have that anymore but how's that gonna help you create textures? Or are you trying to improve the pom shader of your mod for this game? My shader used the grayscale of the game texture as relief height, that's the most stupid thing to do (but the only one available on reshade or enb).

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #7 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
I think you misunderstand. I have already Diffuse, Normal, and Heightmaps as greyscale(I generated these from Normals) all I would need is the shader to experiment and see if I can improve it.

If there is any chance you can dig it up I would be so grateful. I can donate some cash to your cause if need be as well. I see that you have really done your research in this area and I am sure you have much more knowledge here since you have read all those shader papers and R&D articles. However I think I can muster some additions to the code, but I would like to have a base first and your code seems to be running really well.

• lowenz
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic POM Custom Effect
Ah, you're the Thief "Deadly Shaders" guy :D Hello man!
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by lowenz.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #9 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
Ah so you want to implement it in your own non-ReShade based shader mod? I'll see what I can do, I remember most of the code I've ever written so maybe I can rewrite it.

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #10 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
Yes this would be ideal! Thank you for taking the time for this :)

Also Hello lowenz!

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #11 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
I actually found it

pastebin.com/7nfeKav0

The code and the visual result look so bad that it's almost satirical :p
I suggest to let yourself inspire from any minecraft shaderpack because their code is really simple and they'd get enough shit if it didn't work properly ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cr4zyw3ld3r

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #12 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
Donated a little bit to you cause! ;)

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #13 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
SO I feel like a total n00b I want to give this a test with reshade first to get the effect you had and see how the game will respond. I have found additional shader code that I would like to implement. What are the steps to get this running on the reshade framework.

I have tried it with custom SweetFX code to no avail.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago #14 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
ReShade Framework? It's discontinued and works with a legacy version of ReShade, you know that?

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #15 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
Is there a way me to implement this as a custom shader in the current version? If so what would I need to do. I cannot seem to find a good tut on this. I mean there has to be Kentie did this in unreal 1!
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by cr4zyw3ld3r. Reason: typos

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago #16 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
Well, it is for the current ReShade version...

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #17 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
But how do I activate it? I have tried searching for a way of enabling it. I tried the sweetfx custom shader route, I tried adding it to Reshade.fx but got compiler errors. No luck. :unsure:

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago #18 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
Well, are you familiar with the usage of ReShade 3.0 at all?

reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/2501...-guide-for-newcomers

Read that. If you still need help after that, I can refer to it ;)

• cr4zyw3ld3r
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #19 by cr4zyw3ld3r Replied by cr4zyw3ld3r on topic POM Custom Effect
I am. I have got it running with a number of my games. Like I said I love your master effect stuff. Thanks to it I got Thief 3 running.

What I am not familiar with is setting up my own shader so that it loads.

I guess that is where I need step by step instructions.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago #20 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic POM Custom Effect
Now I'm entirely lost.
You want POM on this game. I told you it won't work on ReShade without severe bugs.
From what I understood, you created additional textures with height map data - something ReShade cannot access.
So I assumed you have some sort of own rendering pipeline to modify where you can add POM.
Now you want to know how to write own shaders for ReShade (which is rather easy for a shader programmer) so you're obviously not a shader programmer so you can't make any use of my POM shader in the first place.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.