Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wireframe mode

Wireframe mode 1 month 3 days ago #1

When i worked on the depth buffer detection, i used to enable the wireframe rendering mode of directX. Of course, this modifications alone does not help to have a good representation of the vertices the game uses. But accidentally, i found that coupling those rastering representation alongside with the displayDepth shader produces a very good result.

So i implemented the wireframe representation, and added the ability to bind a key combo to this end (shift+W for me).

I do not know if this feature has a real interest (except for analysing purpose), so i ask your opinion about it (and especially Crosire's one). Of course, this feature would only be available in offline mode to avoid wall hacks and so on...
This wireframe mode would work for all the games that have a valid depth buffer.

To illustrate it, here are some screenshots:
Assassin's Creed Odyssey:

Assassin's Creed Origins:

Agents of Mayhem:

Race Driver Grid:

Shadow Warriors 2:
Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by thalixte.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: luluco250, Masterfireheart

Wireframe mode 1 month 3 days ago #2

Too dangerous I'm afraid. The network detection works well enough, but I don't want to risk it not working perfectly in some multiplayer games and having this available.
Cheers, crosire =)

Wireframe mode 1 month 3 days ago #3

OK. I understand your point of view ;) So, i will not make a PR for this.

Wireframe mode 3 weeks 2 days ago #4

This could be useful for Anti Aliasing.

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #5

Some more screens...

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt:

Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by thalixte.

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #6

Gran Theft Auto V:

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #7

Half-Life 2:

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #8

We can clearly see the increasing in the number of vertices and draw calls over the years :P

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #9

Definitively, something using tessellation or the dynamic variety would probably also show up or even risk framerate dipping a fair bit since culling would otherwise prevent this from being drawn such as the case of Crysis 2 and the incorrect assumption on how it did tessellation and was wasting GPU performance when it's mostly a issue with the wireframe mode forcing everything to be visible. :D

I like the effect although I don't use wireframe in too many titles usually due to the performance being less than stellar though older games would be more manageable.
(Well not too many games offer it as a console cvar or similar either, TWF in Elder Scrolls was it? ToggleWireFrame for one of the later games via Fallout 4 and it's Creation engine retaining many of the same cvars.)

EDIT: Well doing it that way it wouldn't be as clean as the above images either via black & white. :)
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by JBeckman.

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #10

JBeckman wrote:
Definitively, something using tessellation or the dynamic variety would probably also show up or even risk framerate dipping a fair bit since culling would otherwise prevent this from being drawn such as the case of Crysis 2 and the incorrect assumption on how it did tessellation and was wasting GPU performance when it's mostly a issue with the wireframe mode forcing everything to be visible. :D

I like the effect although I don't use wireframe in too many titles usually due to the performance being less than stellar though older games would be more manageable.
(Well not too many games offer it as a console cvar or similar either, TWF in Elder Scrolls was it? ToggleWireFrame for one of the later games via Fallout 4 and it's Creation engine retaining many of the same cvars.)

EDIT: Well doing it that way it wouldn't be as clean as the above images either via black & white. :)

Oddly enough, the way it is implemented does not impact the perfs drastically. I can travel across ACOD or TW3 world without great frame drop. I can also watch the culling algorithm working in real time. If i have some time, will make a video.

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #11

Shadow Warrior 2:

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #12

The Witcher 3:

Wireframe mode 2 weeks 5 days ago #13

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: