Wireframe mode

• michelly
More
5 years 5 days ago #21 by michelly Replied by michelly on topic Wireframe mode
Hi, could you tell me how you did to change the rendering from direct to wireframe?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CeeJay.dk
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #22 by CeeJay.dk Replied by CeeJay.dk on topic Wireframe mode
I agree with Crosire that it's a risk because wireframe view lets people see what's behind objects obstructing their view.

However we might be able to solve this.

I notice that the wireframe view have a color corresponding to the depth.
If we behind the scenes do something like :
color = (wireframe <= depth) ? black : depth;
then we could merge the two so wireframe objects we cannot normally see are obstructed by the color in the depth buffer.

The result would be a depthbuffer view with the wireframe displayed on top and the wires we shouldn't be able to see are hidden.

This needs to be done with a builtin shader though - we can't have this work be done in a shader that users can modify and the original wireframe view must not be available to custom shaders.

Still the full wireframe view as Thalixte show here is useful to developers and modders because it shows the overdraw of the game. Viewing it can be used to optimize the game by locating areas where the overdraw is bad.
We could maybe separate this into it's own tool, that can do nothing else but display wireframe so any potential cheaters can't flip back and forth between a wireframe view and the normal view and so they can't combine the normal view with wireframes using shaders. Such a tool should not be opensourced and should still have the same check for network access as Reshade - and maybe it should mess with the network access of the game to prevent it from going online.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by CeeJay.dk.

• CeeJay.dk
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #23 by CeeJay.dk Replied by CeeJay.dk on topic Wireframe mode

Sami 1999 wrote: This could be useful for Anti Aliasing.

If we only had wireframe view then it could be used, but we don't need it for anti-aliasing because the depth buffer view is better for this.
It's much cleaner and doesn't show as many lines that would not cause aliasing - so for detecting aliased lines it causes far fewer false positives.

The wireframe view does have very sharp and well defined lines - combining that with an edge detection algorithm used on the depth buffer could create very fine outlines for a high quality Borderlands look. It's not that I don't wan't access to this view - it's just like Crosire says, it's a dangerous view to have in Reshade.

• Chavolatra
More
4 years 11 months ago #24 by Chavolatra Replied by Chavolatra on topic Wireframe mode
it is improve ambient occlusion or for depth buffer work in MSAA on in games ?

• CeeJay.dk
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #25 by CeeJay.dk Replied by CeeJay.dk on topic Wireframe mode
I think it would have to be some sort of polygon view - the wires are not enough.

• Dsan
More
1 year 6 months ago #26 by Dsan Replied by Dsan on topic Wireframe mode
Hi @thalixte,
I'm an artist => denis-santelli.com/  Nobody's Perfect ;)
I'm working moslty with wireframe rendering an nature representation in virtuals world.
I started oil painting a landscape from GTA 5 but I would like to introduce wireframe parts on this painting to bring more confusion between real and virtual

This is going to sound silly but I am desperately looking for how to get wired mode in GTA V and I came across your conversation in this forum
Would you be kind enough to help me?

Thanks
Denis

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.