Reshade and Vulkan

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #1 by Sh1nRa358 Reshade and Vulkan was created by Sh1nRa358
What is the reshade vulkan dll supposed to be named?

And when using reshade vulkan globally, where are the reshade files and settings because I don't see any shaders in the in-game reshade menu like when using any of the other backends?

EDIT: found it. C:/ProgramData/Reshade/ is not a good place for use to use reshade globally. It doesn't read shaders from the game folder. Instead it tries to read them from the programdata folder (when using relative paths in the reshade ini that is) in which windows prevents anything to be downloaded there. That's why I'm not getting any shaders read while in vulkan mode! We need to be able to tell the reshade.ini to put the global files in a place of our own choosing. Definitely not in our programdata folder.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Sh1nRa358.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade and Vulkan
Nothing. ReShade does not support DLL wrapping in Vulkan. Vulkan has a layering mechanism that ReShade has to use to be spec conform. And that requires ReShade to be in a central place, because those layers are configured via system-wide registry keys. You are best off using the setup tool to set up ReShade, it knows what to do to make it work.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by crosire.

• Martigen
More
4 years 4 months ago #3 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Reshade and Vulkan
And just to follow up Shinra on your edit -- once Reshade installs itself, you can edit Reshade.ini's core settings (such as for Shader/Textures dir) directly in the installer, so you can point it to wherever you globally store your Shader/Texture dirs during Reshade's installation.

• mac2
More
4 years 1 month ago #4 by mac2 Replied by mac2 on topic Reshade and Vulkan
just about to install the latest version of reshade into my X planes 11 (the latest vulkan enabled version).
However I understand there is now a "global" box which I think applies reshade to all "vulkan" software...…..?
Assume you can still install reshade onto each game (non-global) and it still should work?

• crosire
More
4 years 1 month ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade and Vulkan
No. It's always global. Vulkan layers can only be installed globally. But you can leave the setup tool running instead of ticking that checkbox, which will make it global only as long as the setup tool is open.

• mac2
More
4 years 1 month ago #6 by mac2 Replied by mac2 on topic Reshade and Vulkan
thanks for the reply!
not sure I fully understand - but I only want to try reshade with XP11 - so
do u mean at the install I leave global unchecked so reshade will install into the XP11 directory (like the old opengl reshade - where each game has the reshade files installed into the game directory) - but everytime I run XP11 and want reshade active this means I need to open install tool before running XP11?

• crosire
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade and Vulkan
Correct.
The alternative is to check the global checkbox, in which case it stays persitent and you do not have to open the setup tool each time.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by crosire.

• mac2
More
4 years 1 month ago #8 by mac2 Replied by mac2 on topic Reshade and Vulkan
thanks for reply!
1)so doing the non global setup will install the files directly onto XP11 so guess to remove the reshade you just delete the files on the local folder? - when you say keep the setup tool during running od XP11 assume you mean just double clicking on the reshade.exe so its open you don't need to select any vulkan option? (why can't it be made to run locally just like the openGL version or does vulkan need to work in a different way)
2)If you install the "global" version assume this automatically loads reshade into anything that has "vulkan" - if you install the version how easy is it to uninstall? (I read (not sure if its true) if you try to delete this version you may need to update some registery entries)

• crosire
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade and Vulkan
1) Pretty much. It technically is still a global installation, but is automatically uninstalled when the setup tool is closed (and reinstalled when it is opened). I explained why in the second post of this thread.
2) To uninstall that variant just open the setup tool, uncheck the checkbox again and close the setup tool. Done. It's really not hard. You most definitely do not need to worry about editing registry entries or what not. Ignore those posts.

• mac2
More
4 years 1 month ago #10 by mac2 Replied by mac2 on topic Reshade and Vulkan
ok understood
so noting your comment that the global installation is easy to delete with no registry editing - seems it might just be easier to install the "global" version in the first place?

• crosire
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade and Vulkan
Absolutely. That's why it exists ;)

• brazzjazz
More
4 years 1 month ago #12 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Reshade and Vulkan
It should also be noted that Vulkan is not updated automatically system-wide when a new installer is run. For Vulkan to be updated, the checkbox has to be checked (if it was checked before, uncheck it and check it again).

• mac2
More
4 years 1 month ago #13 by mac2 Replied by mac2 on topic Reshade and Vulkan
will give the global version a try then.
by updated what do you mean? (assume you are not talking about to the latest version of reshade but something else)

• MonarchX
More
4 years 1 month ago #14 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic Reshade and Vulkan
So if C:\ProgramData\ReShade\ReShadeXX.log file specifies some EXE file, then does it mean that EXE file supports Vulkan? Those logs specify ReShade injecting itself into MSEdge and Skype...

• brazzjazz
More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #15 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Reshade and Vulkan
@mac2 No, I meant a version update. Since the installer does not overwrite a DLL, the update has to be written wherever it is system-wide, and for ReShade to do that you have to uncheck and re-check the global thingy (unless you leave the installer open, in which case the Vulkan injection is loaded as a live-version, so-to-speak).
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by brazzjazz.

• Sadraadib664
More
4 years 1 week ago #16 by Sadraadib664 Replied by Sadraadib664 on topic Reshade and Vulkan
Guys, I'm having a problem with Reshade and X-plane 11 Vulkan. When I install it with, or without the "vulkan games globally" ticked it is not working. The popup window of ReShade isn't even showing up which is quite weird. My X-Plane is installed onto /C:/Games/X-Plane 11. I don't quite know if that matters but JFYI. I would really appreciate any help as I have no idea on what to do.

• Alves
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #17 by Alves Replied by Alves on topic Reshade and Vulkan
Hi,
I'm having the same problem discribed above. I'm want to run ReShade on X-Plane 11.50 witch is Vulkan enabled. so I installed ReShade to run on Vulkan globaly, thicking the checkbox. However when X-Plane loads nothing happens, on OpenGL API it used to have a status window on top, showing ReShade loading progress, and now it doesn't. It also doesn't open main window by pressing "home" key or "shift+F2" whatever key is set, nothing happens. I can't find any DLL on the executable folder, and there are no presets, too, but only "ReShade.ini" file and "reshade-shaders" folder
Any help please?
Thank you
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Alves.

• Snacko
More
4 years 3 days ago - 4 years 3 days ago #18 by Snacko Replied by Snacko on topic Reshade and Vulkan
Yea, same here. I've tried it every way but Reshade doesn't load. It used to work about 2 weeks ago. Could an X-Plane 11 beta update have broken Reshade? I've had 2 beta updates since it was working..

EDIT:
Found the fix here . I had to add --allow_reshade=1 as a 'Launch Option' in Steam for X-Plane 11.50b9
Last edit: 4 years 3 days ago by Snacko. Reason: Found fix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JarzoYT

• Goofmannnn
More
3 years 9 months ago #19 by Goofmannnn Replied by Goofmannnn on topic Reshade and Vulkan
Tried this as well and hasn't worked. Any other ideas? Thanks for being so helpful!

• Digika
More
2 years 11 months ago #20 by Digika Replied by Digika on topic Reshade and Vulkan

What is the reshade vulkan dll supposed to be named?

Reshade comes with 2 files:
ReShade32.json
ReShade64.json

These are configs for Vulkan layer system. You dont need to rename your Reshade dll, just copy the DLL and config into game folder where EXE is.
Then run regedit:
winkey+R -> "regedit" -> enter
go to
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ImplicitLayers
Add new REG_DWORD key and its name as full path to either ReShade32.json or ReShade64.json. By default these configs point to reshade dll named ReShade64.dll in the same folder. Make sure it is named like that (should be by default).

Now you just start the game and it hooks up. Best solution would be, of course, to do what Reshade does with installer - i.e. have only one location where ReShade64.dll and ReShade64.json are so you can have only one layer registered globally for all games.