Searching solution of multi-buffer MXAO for Star Wars: Republic Commando

• Olegtia
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #1 by Olegtia Searching solution of multi-buffer MXAO for Star Wars: Republic Commando was created by Olegtia
Hello everyone!

Yesterday i tried to set Reshade to work for Star Wars: Republic Commando and turns out that game renders environment, player's weapon and UI in 3 various depth buffers.

I'm adding some screenshots of my problem:

This is main problem

All three depth buffers

So in result of MXAO work with first depth buffer i get shades OVER my weapon (second DB)😅

Now i searching a way to:
- merge buffers before MXAO
- or run it in multi-passing for two buffers
- or intersect one buffer from another with some mask of players weapon
- or, at least, change buffers output order for placing MXAO under "weapon buffer".

It's just my opinions of solving this problem, i'm new in reshade problem solving and don't understand it's programming language.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Olegtia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Olegtia
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #2 by Olegtia Replied by Olegtia on topic Searching solution of multi-buffer MXAO for Star Wars: Republic Commando
Hello? Is there anyone to answer my question? Moderators, administration?

• Marty
More
3 years 5 months ago #3 by Marty Replied by Marty on topic Searching solution of multi-buffer MXAO for Star Wars: Republic Commando
I would also like to know if it's possible to merge depth buffers/information from them. Sounds pretty useful and actually essential in certain games like in Republic Commando it seems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olegtia

• DrPeroxide
More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #4 by DrPeroxide Replied by DrPeroxide on topic Searching solution of multi-buffer MXAO for Star Wars: Republic Commando
I know this thread is a bit old, but I've had some luck with this and thought I'd share. I'll go through my exact process, although the answer you're looking for is probably the very last two steps.
  1. Startfrom a base install of Star Wars: Republic Commando from Steam
  2. Open up the game dir by right clicking the game in steam and finding the Browse Local Files option. Then go to GameData/System. Leave the window open.
  3. Download the Reshade installer and run it. Make sure you select the SWRepublicCommando.exe file in the System folder.
  4. (Optional) Download the graphics fix from ModDB . Move the contents of the zip into that System directory. I'm not sure if this actually has any impact on ReShade, but you'll want if you're planning on playing the game at a reasonable resolution.
  5. Download d3d8.dll from crosire's d3d8to9 repo . Move the dll file into the System directory.
  6. Acquire the 32 bit version of d3d9.dll from Thalixte's modified Reshade. There's two options for this I'll mention later. Move the dll file into the System directory, overwriting the original
  7. Boot up the game. You can modify the Settings as you wish; none of them appear to intefere with the depth shader.

This was not only the only way I was able to access the depth shaders, but also allowed me to merge those shaders together.
Here are some screenshots as proof, along with my depth buffer settings.

Regarding Thalixte's dsd9.dll, you have two options to grab this.
  • A slightly out of date copy can be found by here . I found this link on this thread posted here years back, and that is the most recent copy of the DLL I could find.
  • Go straight to Thalixte's Reshade repo and follow his instructions for cloning and building it. This might be more up to date than the 2019 DLL up for download, as he apparantly updated the Repo in August. This is a bit more effort though and doesn't seem to be necessary.

I'm not sure why this was so hard to find. When he originally made that post, it seemed like it was going to get merged into Reshade proper, but unfortunately it never was. I have no idea why, as I haven't trawled through all the comments. I hope these extra options make their way into Reshade one day though.

Anyway, hope this helps both of you out, and anyone else looking to get MXAO and other Depth effects into Republic Commando.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by DrPeroxide.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.