• piltrafus
More
8 years 1 month ago #41 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic 2.0
First of all congrats on the new release and thanks for all the hard work you guys have put on it. All the effort towards the improvement of this gift of a tool is greatly appreciated.

bopper2010 wrote: ... it seems like more emphasis was put on visual aesthetics and the looks of the tool itself rather than on ease of use...

I have to admit that this was my impression too. To the 14 year old in me It seems that it's at least the third iteration on this tool and every new version feels more like a step in a new direction rather than a step forward in functionality. However, I can see all the new improvements that go under the hood in order to build a better and more accessible framework. I'm also well aware that nothing is perfect right away. Things only get better when you keep hammering them into the desired shape.

I'll offer some friendly feedback in case it helps this assistant tool move forward:
- My main problem with the tool is that it takes too many clicks to do things, is cluttered and unclear and it doesn't follow basic UI conventions. Details below...
- The shader list is too long and extends beyond the window without giving a visual clue (scroll bar). Therefore breaks UI design conventions. Also is not functional without a scroll wheel on your mouse ( Can't use a wacom pen with this tool for example)
- The "shaders" and "Values" tabs should be active simultaneously. Too many clicks to go back and forth btw those two.
- Left click on shader name or tick-box selects and activates the shader. But it doesn't show the shader settings in "values" tab. You have to use Right click for that and then click on the side panel to actually get to the "Values". A single left click on a shader should do all that at once.(with the two panels active)
- Left click and drag should drag the shader to a new position in the pipeline. it is a pain to rearrange a long list of shaders clicking the tiny arrows on top hundreds of times. Drag and drop is a basic and intuitive UI function that any user will get right away.
And that drives me to my main suggestion
- The shader list is too long. Nobody that cares for their eyesight would ever use all shaders at once. There should be an option to hide all unused shaders, so you easily get a cleaner uncluttered list to rearange and work with. Better still would be to have a shader "Vault" where you select the shaders you want to work with on this particular preset and only those show in the current 'Shaders" tab.

I'm well aware is easy to come in at the eleventh hour and offer a improvements to something that took months of work to get into its current shape. However that doesn't make a fresh view less useful. Respect to the devs and I hope this feedback is useful and in no ways is felt as a criticism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire
The topic has been locked.
  • crosire
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #42 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic 2.0

MaxG3D wrote: ... if you would've create an in-game GUI. It's that simple.

No it's not. I simply do not have the time (sorry, but there are much more important things in my life). One doesn't just write an in-game UI in a day. Companies put months/years of effort into theirs to get it right (i.e. Steam overlay).
Right now we managed to split up the work: I'm responsible for the injector and backend, Ganossa for the configuration frontend and UI.

piltrafus wrote: I'll offer some friendly feedback in case it helps this assistant tool move forward:

Thank you. That's the kind of feedback I'd love to see more often. I agree with all points on your list. And since the tool moved to WPF, it should be much easier for Ganossa to improve the UI further.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, piltrafus
  • padolamap
More
8 years 1 month ago #43 by padolamap Replied by padolamap on topic 2.0
Two questions is it possible to use these new dll with the old files without using the interface?
Can it be possible that I can not use the loxa fit with this new interface?
from already thank you very much for your time and for sharing it for the good of all
  • crosire
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #44 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic 2.0

padolamap wrote: Two questions is it possible to use these new dll with the old files without using the interface?

Yes, but not vice-versa.

padolamap wrote: Can it be possible that I can not use the loxa fit with this new interface?

I'm not sure what you mean?
  • piltrafus
More
8 years 1 month ago #45 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic 2.0

crosire wrote:

padolamap wrote: ...is it possible to use these new dll with the old files without using the interface?

Yes, but not vice-versa.

so can we use the new library with old presets? how can we do this? just dropping the new libraries into the game is giving me errors.
that would be great so we can hit the ground running while we get adjusted to the new assistant.
  • Evan20xx
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #46 by Evan20xx Replied by Evan20xx on topic 2.0

crosire wrote:

padolamap wrote: Two questions is it possible to use these new dll with the old files without using the interface?

Yes, but not vice-versa.

How about with the SweetFX Preview 8 package? I get errors when trying just the new .dll's only. If there is something I've missed somewhere I apologize in advance. Busy days = less time to read everything.

Thanks
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Evan20xx.
  • Ioxa
More
8 years 1 month ago #47 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic 2.0

padolamap wrote: Can it be possible that I can not use the loxa fit with this new interface?

They won't work with the new assistant / framework files. I'm working on porting them but running into some problems I can't figure out. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out in a day or two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, padolamap, Apocalypso, Golgotha
  • Ganossa
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #48 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 2.0
- ReShade Assistant Tutorial -
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Ganossa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: padolamap, SpinelessJelly, Golgotha
  • Golgotha
More
8 years 1 month ago #49 by Golgotha Replied by Golgotha on topic 2.0
I feel compelled to share this; a couple of months ago I developed an unconscious habit of clicking the reshade.me bookmark to quickly check for an update every time I went online. I spend almost as much time tweaking reshade settings as I do playing the games they enhance; I just never get bored of the I wonder what this does? --> recompile --> oh loop. Also, semicolons. After a while I stopped hoping to see anything but the familiar Version 1.1 was released on Nov. 8th and I was ok with that; you folks have made a wonderful tool in a collaborative effort that, in my mind, puts a check in the maybe we are not doomed as a species column.

Last night when I saw, not 1.11 or 1.2, but 2.0, all those dopamine-pregnant vesicles in my brain birthed a wave of pleasure. I thought I heard the sound that plays in Zelda when Link finds a piece of the triforce and holds it over his head in triumph. I bet if you had hooked up me and someone who's taken a small toke of crack to an fMRI, a neuroscientist wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. I think that's pretty amazing when you think about it; I'm just some random dude in Atlanta, Georgia and as a result of your work my neurochemistry was physically changed. Take all the randos around the world and convert their reshade update-induced minigasms into a few ounces of pure liquid pleasure extract using a linear function based on their respective nerd quotients and y'all could take a dive. Or at least take turns in a pretty disgusting bath.

I'm also impressed with how you guys welcome and respond to criticism from both mature people endowed with the understanding that they are not the only conscious entity in the universe and sincerely want to help with the tremendous amount of unpaid effort done in the free time of highly skilled individuals, and also the equanimity displayed in dealing with the inevitable small, but very vocal minority of those suffering from "Trump Syndrome" who, for whatever reason, lack the neural mechanisms that allow for a meta-awareness beyond what they desire in the moment and see any obstacle to its fulfillment as an intentional slight against their person that justifies them venting unlimited wrath to depressurize an existential panic they cannot name, much less understand. There was someone a couple of pages back who seemed like, if they could, would have pressed a button resulting in a swarm of killer bees emanating from Crosire's unused USB ports! "I'll teach him to give something to the world for free without only considering what I want!" Humans are kind of hilarious.

Damn! I put myself in tldr city with this one! Myself, I lack the neural mechanisms for brevity and conciseness. Anyway I was going to point out a couple of things but piltraeus already did a better job of outlining them than I would have. Except for one thing, am I the only one who misses the sliders from mediator to adjust the values? It takes me a lot longer to stop and manually enter in the values via keyboard. Or am I missing something? I thought I was going crazy for a minute until I realized some adjustments I made on the appearances tab made some things disappear for lack of contrast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, piltrafus
  • crosire
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #50 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic 2.0

Golgotha wrote: tldr

That (once again) ... was ... an amazing read! Thank you so much. No money in the world could buy me the joy I experience reading these posts =P.

Oh, as for entering values: It might help to know that you don't need to click into the edit boxes to enter numbers, it's enough to just hover over with the mouse (makes it very fast to change multiple settings in a row: point with right hand and enter value with left hand).
  • Ganossa
More
8 years 1 month ago #51 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 2.0
Since it got buried so fast:

Also, at 1:08 I describe the navigation with MiddleMouse/RightShift + MouseWheel, you can also use RightClick + MouseWheel for the navigation as long as you click on non-interactive elements.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davemode
  • kingeric1992
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #52 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic 2.0
was about ask mouse clicks then I realize there already been one.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by kingeric1992.
  • louiscarter88
More
8 years 1 month ago #53 by louiscarter88 Replied by louiscarter88 on topic 2.0
Once I got used to it, the new UI aint that bad. Good work guys.

One thing tho, any plans to re visit HUD exclusion? I know you said there was work on an automated process, but is there any chance of including a manual system of injecting PS and VS hash codes? (for those of us who dug them up from using GeDoSaTo)
  • OtisInf
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #54 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic 2.0
First congrats on the release! I was just wondering if it would ever see the light of day!

crosire wrote: 2.0.0:

• Added "mousepoint" source for uniform variables (float2 with mouse cursor coordinates)

Is this as great as I think it is, e.g. can this be used to obtain the focus point for AF in the DoF shader? As that would be awesome.

Will look at it more tonight.

(ps: there's still a PR waiting ;))

(edit) btw: you could add the binary distribution to github, under 'releases'. This is IMHO better than using sites like mediafire.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by OtisInf.
  • OtisInf
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #55 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic 2.0

piltrafus wrote: First of all congrats on the new release and thanks for all the hard work you guys have put on it. All the effort towards the improvement of this gift of a tool is greatly appreciated.

bopper2010 wrote: ... it seems like more emphasis was put on visual aesthetics and the looks of the tool itself rather than on ease of use...

I have to admit that this was my impression too. To the 14 year old in me It seems that it's at least the third iteration on this tool and every new version feels more like a step in a new direction rather than a step forward in functionality. However, I can see all the new improvements that go under the hood in order to build a better and more accessible framework. I'm also well aware that nothing is perfect right away. Things only get better when you keep hammering them into the desired shape.

Yep, same here: the new mediator is simply abit unfriendly to the user, like its predecessor, sorry. Things are crammed together which should be separate (shader list and pipeline, this is totally unclear. All I was thinking was 'why is this list sorted using the 'chaos' directive', only after reading piltrafus post I realized it's the pipeline we're looking at.) and things which are now separate should be together (values and selected shader).

Also, it's unclear why sometimes multiple shaders are selected when you select one and not with other shaders.

The help for a shader is displayed only when you hover over it, not for the selected shader

Which shader is actually active is done through bold text, but it's unclear what that means if the shaders around it are selected too through their backcolor.

If a shader value is a range, a textbox _with_ a slider might have been better. Even a spinner control would have been better. There's screen estate enough.

Heck, if you would have used something like: github.com/FransBouma/Algorithmia/tree/m...ures/PropertyEditing (it's from my algorithm lib, it's an example not a plug that you should use that) you could have used a simple property grid. Not that that is great UX, but alas...

The UI runs around in a circle or something, but I have no idea where to go if I want to access a tab: do I look left or right? Sometimes the globals are on the left, sometimes on the right.

I understand it's made this way to look flashy, but putting in numbers and fiddling with settings is precisely what LoB apps offer and they're made with the most boring controls one can imagine.

A tree, a treelist perhaps (like DevExpress' one), some tabs, a menu. Terribly boring but very efficient. Yes, I know the old one had tabs, but those were not tabs like one sees in normal software. With the amount of info one can edit in a shader, I doubt there have to be tabs anyway.

Why are all shaders in the pipeline btw? If they're not enabled, they don't need to be in the pipeline so the whole list of shaders in the form of a pipeline is a little odd.

If you want dependencies to be honored, and that might be a good thing, it's easy to do: define per shader which shaders it should be placed _after_ by default. Place those dependencies in a directed graph, run a topological sort over it and you have the right order. (see: github.com/FransBouma/Algorithmia/blob/m...s/GraphTests.cs#L267 same lib ;))

I'm well aware is easy to come in at the eleventh hour and offer a improvements to something that took months of work to get into its current shape. However that doesn't make a fresh view less useful. Respect to the devs and I hope this feedback is useful and in no ways is felt as a criticism.

True. It's a bit of a letdown that the new tool is not really a step forward with respect to UX.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by OtisInf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brussell, DeMondo
  • robgrab
More
8 years 1 month ago #56 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic 2.0

Ganossa wrote: Since it got buried so fast:

Also, at 1:08 I describe the navigation with MiddleMouse/RightShift + MouseWheel, you can also use RightClick + MouseWheel for the navigation as long as you click on non-interactive elements.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. You should move this to the first page of the thread so people can see it or make it a separate thread altogether. It makes more sense now. Can't wait to try it out when I get home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davemode
  • Ganossa
More
8 years 1 month ago #57 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 2.0
Glad you like it Rob :lol: I am quiet happy with how it turned out. Hope you get your fun with it later!

(Video is already on the front page, just in my post which is second)

I am sure some more active youtuber can improve on that tutorial ;)
  • Abby
8 years 1 month ago #58 by Abby Replied by Abby on topic 2.0
Well, TuningPalette like in ENB is not working when enabling Tuning Color Map "#define TuningColorMap 1"
TuningColor LUT is working
TuningColor Palette is working

Ignore Error "ReShade.fx (10, 2)" ReShade is still compiling effects normally
Note: Testing everything in progress on game GTA San Andreas.
  • geffyb
More
8 years 1 month ago #59 by geffyb Replied by geffyb on topic 2.0
I looked up this program in the past, but skipped on using it continuously because of it's individual game install requirement. Making it a universal tool is making me give it a go again. Thank you for the time and effort put into this.
  • Ganossa
More
8 years 1 month ago #60 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 2.0

Abby wrote: Well, TuningPalette like in ENB is not working when enabling Tuning Color Map "#define TuningColorMap 1"
TuningColor LUT is working
TuningColor Palette is working

Ignore Error "ReShade.fx (10, 2)" ReShade is still compiling effects normally
Note: Testing everything in progress on game GTA San Andreas.

The TuningColorMap uses bright detection in a certain setup. We change a few things about namespaces which cause the issue here. I will need to investigate when I got some time, for now you either have to disable dependency (which will then not take scene brightness into account for the map) or activate the ambient light which forces the bright detection algorithm to run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abby
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.