Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask

• Sh1nRa358
More
9 years 3 months ago #101 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Any way you can make an option to allow this to do passes before the other shaders or after the other shaders?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #102 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask

Sh1nRa358 wrote: Any way you can make an option to allow this to do passes before the other shaders or after the other shaders?

If you're using it with the new framework you can choose when it runs in the effect ordering section in ReShade.fx. Everything will run in the order it is listed so just place the #include line between the effects you want to run before and after.

To do that in the old version open up GAUSS_settings.h and scroll to the bottom, there is an option to add .fx files that run before and after the gaussian effects. The compatibility option will run SweetFX or MasterEffect before the gaussian effects, set that to 0 and add the file names manually if you want SweetFX or MasterEffect to run after the gaussian effects.

The best way would be to use the new framework because you can choose individual effects to run it between instead of entire shader packs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sh1nRa358

• Sh1nRa358
More
9 years 3 months ago #103 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
So what do you think would be the best placement as far as not having the gaussian repixelate jaggies: before or after any AA?

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #104 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask

Sh1nRa358 wrote: So what do you think would be the best placement as far as not having the gaussian repixelate jaggies: before or after any AA?

Not sure about that one... If I had to guess I would think it would be best to run AA last. You should probably test it and see what looks best to you.

• Wicked Sick
More
9 years 3 months ago #105 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Hey, Ioxa, I just wanted to say to you a big thanks. Your sharpening with the Framework is gorgeous. Great work, thank you a lot.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #106 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask

Wicked Sick wrote: Hey, Ioxa, I just wanted to say to you a big thanks. Your sharpening with the Framework is gorgeous. Great work, thank you a lot.

No problem! Glad its working out for you! And lets both thank Boulotaur2024 for making this in the first place, I don't think I could go back to playing games without it. Hopefully he will give it a proper port someday because I don't think I will ever get the bloom working right.

• Wicked Sick
More
9 years 3 months ago #107 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Yes, we should not forget him. I stressed your name because, well, you did all alone when no one else would do it.

My very first post in this forum was to ask about the Boulotaur2024's gausian.

I also can't see myself playing without ReShade now.

• vfxninjaeditor
More
9 years 3 months ago #108 by vfxninjaeditor Replied by vfxninjaeditor on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Hey guys, just a quick question. I have never used the gaussian shader before. Could you help me with some recommendations? Any common settings you like to use?

• Wicked Sick
More
9 years 3 months ago #109 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Hello VFX.

I am not so fond of presets but I really like to use them as a base. There are many people that do wonderful jobs and I like to mimic them. But in the end, I always do what appeals me more.

So, in short, I can't say anything to you but to try for yourself.

• Quentin-Tarantino
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #110 by Quentin-Tarantino Replied by Quentin-Tarantino on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask

vfxninjaeditor wrote: Hey guys, just a quick question. I have never used the gaussian shader before. Could you help me with some recommendations? Any common settings you like to use?

When i was using SweetFX 1.5.1 the Version that had the Sin City shader included
Found here: www.mediafire.com/download/de9y6nc02cfz0fh/SinCityFX.rar

I used {Gaussian Unsharpmask}

Gaussian Blur settings

#define GaussEffect 1 //[0|1|2|3] 0 = Blur, 1 = Unsharpmask (expensive), 2 = Bloom, 3 = Sketchy. Default is 2
#define GaussQuality 2 //[0|1|2|3] Warning: 2 and 3 are expensive. Default is 1
#define GaussSigma 0 //[0 to 4] The higher the wider blur/bloom is (only effective when Bloom selected)
#define GaussBloomWarmth 3 //[0|1|2|3] Temperature" of the bloom - 0 = neutral, 1 = warm, 2 = hazy/foggy, 3 = Sekta
#define GaussThreshold 0.5 //[0.00 to 1.00] [DX10/11 only] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define GaussExposure 43.0 //[0.00 to 100.00] [DX10/11 only] Exposure of the effect (the lower the brighter)
#define GaussStrength 0.3 //[0.00 to 1.00] Amount of effect blended into the final image

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes using {Gaussian Unsharpmask}

Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Quentin-Tarantino.

• vfxninjaeditor
More
9 years 3 months ago #111 by vfxninjaeditor Replied by vfxninjaeditor on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
okay, so what about quality? I see there are 12 levels. It's hard to tell if there is a big difference. I believe I can notice a significant frame drop going from 1 to 2.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #112 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask

vfxninjaeditor wrote: okay, so what about quality? I see there are 12 levels. It's hard to tell if there is a big difference. I believe I can notice a significant frame drop going from 1 to 2.

Quality is really more like radius, it will blur the already blurred image again which makes the blur wider. For sharpening it is probably best to keep it at 0 because higher settings will make the halo larger. For blur and bloom it could be helpful but I usually keep it at 0 or 1.

In the original there were 4 levels of quality, each step up added multiple blur passes with the highest setting being 12 passes. Because the performance hit from each level was so high I decided to split them up so each level added 1 more pass. Each blur pass is 22 texture fetches, thats why you are seeing that frame drop.

• Sh1nRa358
More
9 years 2 months ago #113 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
I don't know if this has been updated to make it look like it did when it was first released but could you make me that version again for the newest reshade if it has not? I'm getting this error when I updated to the newest framework:

E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\/ReShade/CustomFX_settings.cfg(54): error: Redefining defined variable "BloomStrength"
from file E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\ReShade/CustomFX/ColorCorrection.h, line 4,
from file E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\ReShade.fx, line 47.
E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\/ReShade/CustomFX_settings.cfg(56): error: Redefining defined variable "GaussBloomWarmth"
from file E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\ReShade/CustomFX/ColorCorrection.h, line 4,
from file E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\ReShade.fx, line 47.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #114 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask

Sh1nRa358 wrote: I don't know if this has been updated to make it look like it did when it was first released but could you make me that version again for the newest reshade if it has not? I'm getting this error when I updated to the newest framework:

E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\/ReShade/CustomFX_settings.cfg(54): error: Redefining defined variable "BloomStrength"
E:\Users\\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation 2\/ReShade/CustomFX_settings.cfg(56): error: Redefining defined variable "GaussBloomWarmth"

Those are redefinition errors. The reason you're getting them is because this shader is included in the CustomFX in the framework. A quick fix would be to open CustomFX_settings.cfg in the ReShade folder and delete all the gaussian blur settings. I don't have time to test it right now but that should fix it.

You may also want to open ReShade.fx and put a couple slashes (//) in front of the line that says #include EFFECT(CustomFX, Gaussian). Otherwise it may run the shader using the settings in that file I made for you.

When I get a chance I'm going to take a look at the bloom in the shader because it looks off right now. I'll let you know if it looks like it did in the older version when I'm done.

• Sh1nRa358
More
9 years 2 months ago #115 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Ok, cool. The 2nd suggestion sufficed. Thanks ^_^

• BornDownUnder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #116 by BornDownUnder Replied by BornDownUnder on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Sorry to resuruct a thread that hasn't had a post for 3+ months...

How would one decrease the contrast amount applied when using the unsharpmask portion of the shader?

Also are you still working on this shader & hopefully the inclusion of image sharpening?
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by BornDownUnder.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #117 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Unsharpmask is a form of image sharpening, its basically the difference between a blurred image and an unblurred image.

There is a clamp for the sharpening in the shader file. Look for the line that says "#define sharp_clampG 0.035". Lowering that value should decrease the contrast.

• BornDownUnder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #118 by BornDownUnder Replied by BornDownUnder on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Many thanks for the info Ioxa, it has allowed a much better scaling of contrast for the overall image.

Images below are comparison, time frame ~6am morning in-game (final results are still a work in progress):
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by BornDownUnder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ioxa

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #119 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Wow, that does make a big difference. Maybe I should add an option to adjust that in the settings.

• BornDownUnder
More
8 years 10 months ago #120 by BornDownUnder Replied by BornDownUnder on topic Gaussian Blur / Bloom / Unsharpmask
Yeah, was quite frustrating trying to nail down the contrast whilst including unsharp mask which for me is pretty much a must-have in every preset in all games...

Many thanks again for the info!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.