Glamayre_Fast_Effects

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 7 months ago #1 by rj200 Glamayre_Fast_Effects was created by rj200
Fast_FXAA_sharpen_DOF_and_AO is now called Glamayre_Fast_Effects and has a new Fake Global Illumination effect.

Get the new version here: github.com/rj200/Glamarye_Fast_Effects_for_ReShade

About

Designed for speed and quality, this shader for ReShade is for people who can't just run everything at max settings and want good enough post-processing without costing too much framerate. The FXAA quite a bit faster than as standard FXAA, and ambient occlusion more than twice as fast as other algorithms. Fake Global Illumination is many times faster than other GI shaders, but it's not really the same - it's a fake 2D rough approximation (though it works surprising well!)

Glamarye Fast Effects combines several fast versions of common postprocessing enhancements in one shader for speed. Each can be enabled or disabled separately.

1. Fast FXAA (fullscreen approximate anti-aliasing). Fixes jagged edges. Almost twice as fast as normal FXAA, and it preserves fine details and GUI elements a bit better. However, long edges very close to horizontal or vertical aren't fixed so smoothly.
2. Intelligent Sharpening. Improves clarity of texture details.
3. Fast ambient occlusion. Shades concave areas that would receive less scattered ambient light. This is faster than typical implementations (e.g. SSAO, HBAO+). The algorithm gives surprisingly good quality with few sample points. It's designed for speed, not perfection - for highest possible quality you might want to try the game's built-in AO options, or a different ReShade shader instead. There is also the option, AO shine, for it to highlight convex areas, which can make images more vivid, adds depth, and prevents the image overall becoming too dark.
4. Bounce lighting. A very fast short-range indirect lighting implementation that gives surfaces some coloured light reflected from nearby. It makes colours and shade much more realistic than Ambient Occlusion alone.
5. Subtle Depth of Field. Softens distant objects. A sharpened background can distract from the foreground action; softening the background can make the image feel more real too.
6. Fake Global Illumination. Attempts to look like fancy GI shaders but using a very simple 2D approximation instead. Not the most realistic solution but very fast. It makes the lighting look less flat; you can even see bright colours reflecting off other surfaces in the area.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, bugmenot, Viper_Joe, someone_for, canceralp, YF, The Iron Wolf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• someone_for
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #2 by someone_for Replied by someone_for on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I'm really enjoying this AiO shader and especially the fake GI Feature.
I have one suggestion though. I use the Fake GI with sky detection on because I don't like the sky getting too bright but I wish it would fade out a bit smoother into the horizon.
SkyDetection example
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by someone_for.

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #3 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I have just released 2.1, which includes improvements to Fake GI.

Thank you for the feedback someone_for. The update includes fixing the fading out of the effect with distance in sky detect mode (before it was fading out GI brightness but not colour)

Get it here.

github.com/rj200/Glamarye_Fast_Effects_for_ReShade
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe, someone_for

• Wicked Sick
More
2 years 6 months ago #4 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Thanks for this. I was away for quite a bit. I am going to test this soon, just wanted to say thanks and that I am excited ^_^

• someone_for
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #5 by someone_for Replied by someone_for on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Thanks for the quick update. It's much better now. Would it be possible to improve the sharpening technique you're using? I don't know much about coding and pixels but only sharpening black/dark pixels is barely noticeable.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by someone_for.

• canceralp
More
2 years 6 months ago #6 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
It's really nice and gives a needed performance uplift, especially for high resolutions like 4K. May I ask for a feature? I would really like to fine tune FXAA here. At least the strength.

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #7 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I will add back the FXAA control I had during initial development. Actually, I've made a minor tweak to make the default FXAA a little smoother. The fake GI occasionally interacted badly with it. Still testing fake GI tweaks. I intend to release an update next week.

My FXAA will never look as smooth as SMAA or other fancy shaders - there are some compromises I made in the name of speed. You can mix and match; you can disable my FXAA and use another ReShade shader or try the game's built-in options if you want the best anti-aliasing.

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #8 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I have just released a new version with lots of small tweaks to improve image quality, simplified strength settings, and slightly faster Fake GI.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #9 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
The sharpening is intentionally subtle to not cause artefacts. The aim was to counter the subtle loss of detail caused by FXAA without adding back aliasing, and add a little clarity to fine details. It does allow pixels to get brighter, but the brightening is weakened as that makes it look more realistic.

Today's 3.0 release improved it subtly - a little bit sharper in textures and a little bit less aliasing on edges.

An important design choice for me was that it's zero-cost sharpenning - no extra texture reads on top of FXAA so it has basically zero impact on framerate.

It will always look quite suble at 4k on a small screen. If you want stronger without artefacts you probably requires a different shader that uses a bigger kernel (more texture reads).

Another option: extra sharpening at zero framerate cost is probably available in the settings menu on your computer monitor or TV.

• distino
More
2 years 6 months ago #10 by distino Replied by distino on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Getting compilation error X4505: maximum temp register index exceeded on Skyrim LE when I turn off performance mode in V3.0 and 3.1. In Skyrim SE all versions are  working without problems, but in Skyrim LE since v3.0 shader compiles and I can switch it on/off without problems with performance mode,  but as soon as I disable it to make some adjustments it doesn't compile and throws a list of : 

error X4505: maximum temp register index exceeded

• bugmenot
More
2 years 6 months ago #11 by bugmenot Replied by bugmenot on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Wow, this is the best Shader since quint. I even like it better than quint because of the amazingly fast AO.

But, can you have a short look at this topic? reshade.me/forum/shader-suggestions/7404-warpsharp-shader

I 'm really in the need of an edge sharpening filter, because I'm playing games with a 5700U Laptop and only get proper framerates with resolution scaling - which makes the edges blurry as fXck. If you're able to create an edge sharpening filter like warpsharp you would be my all-time-hero.

• Vetrogor
More
2 years 5 months ago #12 by Vetrogor Replied by Vetrogor on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
The menu wrapper don't work for me. DetectDepth is fine.

• Vetrogor
More
2 years 5 months ago #13 by Vetrogor Replied by Vetrogor on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I turned off all effects except GI (without it performance mode doesn't work) but don't see any boosting to fps. It shows always 50-60ms

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #14 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Menu detect won't work on every game, only on games that clear the depth buffer when in a menu.

It can't boost FPS - it is just faster than most alternative FXAA and AO algorithms. You only get faster if you are using in INSTEAD of others ReShade or game's builtin options.

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #15 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I have just released a new version:

As well as image improvements, I've optimized the code so it uses fewer temp registers this might help with DirectX 9.0 games with issues. Let me know.

• distino
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #16 by distino Replied by distino on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Getting this error in both DX11 and DX9 games with 4.0
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by distino.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rj200

• Vetrogor
More
2 years 5 months ago #17 by Vetrogor Replied by Vetrogor on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I see that performance was boosted up to 2 times. But I have the same error as above and in UI shown settings that shouldn't be visible in the 'without bounce lighting and GI' version.

• distino
More
2 years 5 months ago #18 by distino Replied by distino on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I'll add that I also sometimes get the 3rd error(X3550) as above, although it's really random. Like it sometimes appear when reloading preset or switching between performance mode, but will disappear once I reload or switch again. Though in my case, I remember once it does appear, it wasn't only 1 line like above, but like around 10 lines I think.

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #19 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Thank you for the feedback both.

Those warnings are harmless I think but I will fix them anyway.

I will see if I can fix the GUI checkboxes without just copying and paste the whole thing to a second file.

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #20 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I have uploaded version 4.1 with those warning fixed, and a small improvement to AO. GUI checkboxes fix not done yet.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by rj200.
The following user(s) said Thank You: distino

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.