Glamayre_Fast_Effects

• geisalt
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #21 by geisalt Replied by geisalt on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Hello, Thank you for this very great shader pack, it runs extremely well !

The 4.1 version from 2 days ago on github has a little problem with reshade 4.3 located on this line

line 630:   c.w= c.w=max(c.r,max(c.g,c.b)) + min(c.r,min(c.g,c.b));
Syntax error error 3000; unexpected = and expected ;

it works perfectly with reshade 4.9, unfortunately i already overwrote the previous version which worked properly before.
Is it fixable? and if it is a compatibility problem, would it be possible to have an older version reuploaded again?

By removing the extra c.w=  the code compiles properly, and thoo i dunno if it works perfectly or if 4.9 just ignores the code as it seems strange to have both c.w= duplicated.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by geisalt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rj200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #22 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Indeed that is a typo. I have fixed it, thank you for letting me know.

github.com/rj200/Glamarye_Fast_Effects_f...ayre_Fast_Effects.fx

I'm surprised 4.9 allowed it, but I guess HLSL is based on C, and it is valid C (though good compiler should give you a warning because an assignment inside a bigger statement is almost always a a mistake.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #23 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Yesterday I released version 4.2, with improved Fake GI and hopefully clearer settings for it.

github.com/rj200/Glamarye_Fast_Effects_for_ReShade
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe, geisalt

• geisalt
More
2 years 5 months ago #24 by geisalt Replied by geisalt on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
thankies :)

• someone_for
More
2 years 4 months ago #25 by someone_for Replied by someone_for on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Any chance you can make this shader compatible with HDR?

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #26 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Today I released version 4.3, which has some more Fake GI tweaks. It should look better and not have any serious artefacts in difficult scenes.

Get it here: github.com/rj200/Glamarye_Fast_Effects_for_ReShade  

@someone_for what did you mean? Does it not work well with some HDR game/monitor/shader if so what?

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #27 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
someone_for, I've just seen the massive chat on Discord ( discord.com/channels/586242553746030596/586245736413528082 ) about HDR and some games not using a colour range of 0.0-1.0, but something else (0-750). In theory I could apply the same workaround mentioned there (normalize it), but I don't have a HDR monitor to test it on.

• someone_for
More
2 years 4 months ago #28 by someone_for Replied by someone_for on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I could test it for you👍

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #29 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
@someone_for test this and let me know if it works: github.com/rj200/Glamarye_Fast_Effects_f...ayre_Fast_Effects.fx

Experimental HDR configured by two preprocessor definitions. Discussion in Discord's #code-chat at end of November tells me that HDR unreal engine games output in 16-bit linear color space and using a wider number range. Try these settings:
#define HDR_BACKBUFFER_IS_LINEAR 1
#define HDR_MAX_COLOR_VALUE 750
The max colour value my depend on your monitors maximum brightness.

Other HDR games using 10 bit colour in range 0-1 should just work fine without enabling these modes. I'm not passing data between passes in 8 bit accuracy so no detail would be lost.

In an ideal world (and maybe in future) ReShade would detect what the game is using and normalize to 0-1 for us. But for now individual shaders may all need tweaking to work right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: someone_for

• someone_for
More
2 years 4 months ago #30 by someone_for Replied by someone_for on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
It seems to work just fine. Couldn't find anything wrong with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rj200

• dm1455
More
2 years 3 months ago #31 by dm1455 Replied by dm1455 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Really REALLY nice shader. Thanks for your work man.

• someone_for
More
2 years 3 months ago #32 by someone_for Replied by someone_for on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I was wondering if you maybe could improve your AA Implementation and use or combine some of lordbean's approach from his excellent  (H)ybrid high-(Q)uality (A)nti-(A)liasing (HQAA)  shader.

• lordbean
More
2 years 3 months ago #33 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects

I was wondering if you maybe could improve your AA Implementation and use or combine some of lordbean's approach from his excellent  (H)ybrid high-(Q)uality (A)nti-(A)liasing (HQAA) shader.

I think I can answer this for rj200 at least partially. Although it's possible he may find clever ways to improve the anti-aliasing in glamayre fast effects, the target use cases of glamayre and HQAA are radically different. Glamayre is intended to produce image quality at a level not normally possible on limited hardware, such as integrated graphics or underwhelming GPUs (such as a Geforce GT 1030). As far as I can tell, it excels at this goal - it is an extremely low overhead shader which still manages to squeeze a fair amount of extra pop into the scene it is applied to.

HQAA, on the other hand, is targeted toward the use case of running older games on mid to high end modern hardware where there is likely to be a lot of leftover GPU resources after the game has completed its rendering pipeline. HQAA uses modified versions of SMAA and FXAA that are built with the intent to use those leftover resources to try and detect+correct edges as accurately as it possibly can. Attempting to use HQAA on a low-end or integrated GPU, even on the lowest possible settings, will likely cause too much additional load on the GPU to be worth running it. I've done my best to keep the mathematical operations as optimized as possible, but even so, HQAA is a shader targeted at modern mid to high end hardware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe, rj200

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #34 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Indeed. I will be keeping it fast and simple. It's about being just good enough while keeping a high framerate (compared to other ReShade shaders or games' builtin options). It's great for running slightly older games at high resolutions (e.g. 4k), where the cost of post-processing can be a quite high % of frame time.

You can mix and match; disable the FXAA in Glamayre but keep the other effects, and run HQAA separately.

• klotim
More
2 years 3 months ago #35 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
FXAA will still take performance from your shader tho.
You wrote it yourself "That's unavoidable - disable the whole shader, not just all the effects. There is some overhead to every shader, even just to copy each pixel."

• geisalt
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #36 by geisalt Replied by geisalt on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
HQAA from lordbean doesnt look better than a properly !tweaked! SMAA + FXAA shaders and it costs more performance as the optimizations been gutted.

It also has CAS pass which is fine and all but if you use another sharpen technique it's not helpful

the shader is not split into multiple passes so you cannot apply a SMAA then effects then FXAA to correct thoses effects ( like deth buffer aliasing unfixed by smaa
)
It is still a good shader if you do not care about performance and tweaking. As it's simple to use and gives good graphic results by itself. But you wont benefit from the whole work of the devs of SMAA & FXAA for optimization.

for glamayre effects, if you disable FXAA to get a performance boost you shall disable DOF and sharpen at the same time

the difference between hqaa and glamayre: HQAA is two or three effects in a single shader, it still has atleast 3 passes. Glamayre has 3 effects in a single pass.

Glamayre is much more optimized, is lightweight and looks EXCELLENT compared to the opportunity cost, the full 3-4 passes shaders with GI + rebound and AO cost less than SMAA mid quality alone.

i use glamayre with smaa first then a black blur at the end to kill bright pixels, with some others effects, in 1080 p there is no aliasing visible; its skyrim without txaa

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by geisalt.

• lordbean
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #37 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Whether or not it looks better than other options is subjective, and therefore your opinion. You are completely welcome to dislike how HQAA looks, and not to use it.

I make no secret of the fact that I am not an advanced programmer (quite the opposite, in fact - I only started learning HLSL and ReShade a few months ago). Since aliasing is a topic near and dear to my heart, I chose to learn by building a shader that doesn't need a deep-dive understanding of how it works in order to produce good results. I have also made no secret of the fact that HQAA is not a high-performance shader, nor would I ever suggest that HQAA is better or worse than any other shader - since again, this is subjective, and therefore an opinion that must be formed by the user.

Edit: this is also decidedly off-topic. If you would like to continue the conversation, please either start a new thread or reply over in the HQAA presentation thread. I personally also think highly of Glamayre and don't want to steal any of its thunder (which discussing HQAA here is doing).
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by lordbean.

• NoPippinNo
More
2 years 2 months ago #38 by NoPippinNo Replied by NoPippinNo on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
Thank you for sharing your excellent work! It has become the foundation on which I build my presets.

It's so performance friendly I'll sometimes use two to highlight different aspects of a scene :P

• rj200
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #39 by rj200 Replied by rj200 on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I will freely admit that Glamayre's FXAA is the worst quality of all the antialiasing shaders. It's just fast.

I love the amazing results I see from other shaders. I started Glamayre to learn HLSL too and decided not to try to compete with them on image quality. I like the challenge of optimizing for speed and I wanted to squeeze out a few more frames per second at 4k or 1440p on a laptop GPU.

New release coming soon...

• lordbean
More
2 years 2 months ago #40 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic Glamayre_Fast_Effects
I've actually used Glamayre on my laptop (it's an Acer Nitro model with a 9th gen i7 and an RTX 2060 - the CPU runs so hot that the GPU usually has to throttle because the heatpipe is saturated). I was really impressed with how much visual pop you managed to squeeze into such a small footprint. The unit also highlights another major thing that often gets overlooked when selecting shaders - the DPI of the screen (not the resolution, the density of the pixels per area). On the 15.3" FHD screen in the laptop, there was literally no point running HQAA because aliasing already didn't stand out enough to see due to the density of the pixels. Glamayre's fast AA did a more than sufficient job for that sort of viewing experience.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.