Depth buffer detection modifications

• thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #21 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Hmmm.... I have to get the game to check. Have you tested another retrieval mode ?
The topic has been locked.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #22 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
I don't know if Bioshock 2 remastered is a d3d11 game.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by thalixte.
  • lowenz
More
6 years 2 months ago #23 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote: Hmmm.... I have to get the game to check. Have you tested another retrieval mode ?

Only "first" and "second" are working.
Some levels work with second, some with first (Sarif building), some.....mixed (LOL).
  • lowenz
More
6 years 2 months ago #24 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

robgrab wrote: Can't wait to try this with Bioshock 2 Remastered.

UPDATE: Didn't work. :(

Unreal Engine games seem to destroy every information about the depth, player's arm+weapon apart.....
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #25 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

lowenz wrote:

thalixte wrote: Hmmm.... I have to get the game to check. Have you tested another retrieval mode ?

Some levels work with second, some with first (Sarif building), some.....mixed (LOL).

Ok, but what if you use the "at_output_merger_state" mode ?
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #26 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

lowenz wrote:

Unreal Engine games seem to destroy every information about the depth, player's arm+weapon apart.....

Many game engines destroy the depth buffer before the final rendering, that's why i try to retrieve it before. If it exists, i should see it. But when i make some researches in the web, it seems that this game is still a d3d9c or a directx10 game.
The modifications i made to the reshade code only take place in the d3d11portion of the library. So, it will not affect opengl, d3d9 or d3d10 games.
Maybe port that changes to d3d10 will not be too hard to do, but i haven't got much time to do it.
  • Uncle Crassius
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #27 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Just noticed that the regular 3.1.1 has depth buffer access in Tomb Raider (2013), probably one game that benefits from the recent changes. Apparently only with AA turned on, strangely.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Uncle Crassius.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #28 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

Uncle Crassius wrote: Just noticed that the regular 3.1.1 has depth buffer access in Tomb Raider (2013), probably one game that benefits from the recent changes. Apparently only with AA turned on, strangely.

Have you tried this game with the dll i brought to you yesterday ?
  • Uncle Crassius
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #29 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote:

Uncle Crassius wrote: Just noticed that the regular 3.1.1 has depth buffer access in Tomb Raider (2013), probably one game that benefits from the recent changes. Apparently only with AA turned on, strangely.

Nope, that's what I meant with "regular 3.1.1". Should've put an "OT" before or something, sorry.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Uncle Crassius.
  • lowenz
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #30 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Yes, probably the DX10 porting can give good results!
Why is it impossible to do with d3d9?
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by lowenz.
  • lowenz
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #31 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote:

lowenz wrote:

Ok, but what if you use the "at_output_merger_state" mode ?

No results (in DXHR DC)
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by lowenz.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #32 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

lowenz wrote: Yes, probably the DX10 porting can give good results!
Why is it impossible to do with d3d9?

Not impossible to do, just more difficult...
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #33 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

Uncle Crassius wrote:

thalixte wrote:

Nope, that's what I meant with "regular 3.1.1". Should've put an "OT" before or something, sorry.

So, it means the dll i brought to you does not have depth buffer access, even in "post process" mode, which corresponds to the current 3.1.1 detection mode ?
  • Uncle Crassius
More
6 years 2 months ago #34 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote:

Just tried it out. Had to rename the 32-bit one to dxgi.dll in order to make it work. The other one wouldn't load. With setting set to "before depth buffer clearing" I got depth buffer access even without AA applied. Looks like it does the trick.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #35 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

Uncle Crassius wrote:

thalixte wrote:

Just tried it out. Had to rename the 32-bit one to dxgi.dll in order to make it work. The other one wouldn't load. With setting set to "before depth buffer clearing" I got depth buffer access even without AA applied. Looks like it does the trick.

Good to know :) Yes, i'm sorry, didn't brought to you the reshade install exe to ease the process. It is necessary to rename the 32bits dll to make it work.
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #36 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote:

lowenz wrote:

Many game engines destroy the depth buffer before the final rendering, that's why i try to retrieve it before. If it exists, i should see it. But when i make some researches in the web, it seems that this game is still a d3d9c or a directx10 game.
The modifications i made to the reshade code only take place in the d3d11portion of the library. So, it will not affect opengl, d3d9 or d3d10 games.
Maybe port that changes to d3d10 will not be too hard to do, but i haven't got much time to do it.

The original Bioshock games used DX9 with an optional DX10 mode which gave a few more water effects but killed performance. Both of those used the Unreal 2.5 engine. Bioshock Infinite and the Remasters are DX11 using the Unreal 3 engine. I assume Bioshock 2 Remastered uses DX11 because it's using dxgi.dll. Man, I was really looking forward to adding DoF and AO to the Bioshock Remastered games. You used to be able to force AO by changing the flag in NVIDIA Inspector but I've never been able to get DoF. The search continues.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by robgrab.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #37 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

robgrab wrote:

thalixte wrote:

lowenz wrote:

The original Bioshock games used DX9 with an optional DX10 mode which gave a few more water effects but killed performance. Both of those used the Unreal 2.5 engine. Bioshock Infinite and the Remasters are DX11 using the Unreal 3 engine. I assume Bioshock 2 Remastered uses DX11 because it's using dxgi.dll. Man, I was really looking forward to adding DoF and AO to the Bioshock Remastered games. You used to be able to force AO by changing the flag in NVIDIA Inspector but I've never been able to get DoF. The search continues.

Not sure dxgi.dll means that the game engine uses d3d11. It looks like a proxy dll which can work with d3d10 games. What do you see in the logs ?
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago #38 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
I'll check when I get home.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #39 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

robgrab wrote: I'll check when I get home.

Not necessary, Bioshock 2 remastered uses dxd11, you are right.

Unfortunately, it uses a special texture format for the depth buffer. I can retrieve it :
[img

The problem is, this texture alternates with blank ones, and i do not see the difference in the texture descriptions between the good one and the blank one.
Will further investigate when i have some times...
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #40 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Wow, thanks! Besides the Bioshock games I’d love to see Resident Evil 4 get depth buffer access. You used to be able to fake it using GeDoSaTo but it was very hit and miss.

COMPARISON

thalixte wrote: The problem is, this texture alternates with blank ones, and i do not see the difference in the texture descriptions between the good one and the blank one.
Will further investigate when i have some times...

Not understanding how this works would it be possible to skip that "blank" frame and replace it with a duplicate of the good frame? Like frame interpolation.

This might not affect it but I know that sometimes the HUD can also cause interference. For Bioshock 2 Remastered the HUD can be disabled by selecting the game in Steam by selecting Properties and under Set Launch Options type -allowconsole
The console command in game is togglehud
I know that sometimes HUDs can interfere with the depth buffer. For instance in System Shock 2 whenever you draw your weapon it screws it up. Here is what I mean.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by robgrab.