Depth buffer detection modifications

• thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #41 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

robgrab wrote: Wow, thanks! Besides the Bioshock games I’d love to see Resident Evil 4 get depth buffer access. You used to be able to fake it using GeDoSaTo but it was very hit and miss.

COMPARISON

thalixte wrote: The problem is, this texture alternates with blank ones, and i do not see the difference in the texture descriptions between the good one and the blank one.
Will further investigate when i have some times...

Not understanding how this works would it be possible to skip that "blank" frame and replace it with a duplicate of the good frame? Like frame interpolation.

This might not affect it but I know that sometimes the HUD can also cause interference. For Bioshock 2 Remastered the HUD can be disabled by selecting the game in Steam by selecting Properties and under Set Launch Options type -allowconsole
The console command in game is togglehud
I know that sometimes HUDs can interfere with the depth buffer. For instance in System Shock 2 whenever you draw your weapon it screws it up. Here is what I mean.

Cool for Resident Evil 4 !

I am sorry, because i have not too much time now to spend on Reshade. I have just enabled the specific format of Bioshosck2's depth buffer (which seems to be a D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE).

I give you the link here, to make you see the problem with this game engine: dxgi.zip

here are the settings in the dxgi.ini:
[DEPTH_BUFFER_DETECTION]
DepthBufferRetrievalMode=1
DepthBufferTextureFormat=0
DepthBufferClearingNumber=0
DepthBufferTextureType=0

I checked by disabing the HUD, but same result :(
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by thalixte.
The topic has been locked.
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #42 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
It sounds like you're busy and I apologize for the inconvenience but it didn't work for me. I tried your settings with the new dxgi.dll but all I see is a white screen. I disabled Antialiasing in-game and tried changing the Near and Far Blur values but nothing. How do I get it to look like the depth buffer image you posted? What am I missing? Thank you in advance.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by robgrab.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #43 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

robgrab wrote: It sounds like you're busy and I apologize for the inconvenience but it didn't work for me. I tried your settings with the new dxgi.dll but all I see is a white screen. I disabled Antialiasing in-game and tried changing the Near and Far Blur values but nothing. How do I get it to look like the depth buffer image you posted? What am I missing? Thank you in advance.

I remember i have changed the depth reverse mode in the settings. Later i will send to you my dxgi.ini file...

EDIT:

Now, it seems to work. Can you test this dll: dxgi_32bits.zip ?
This one should work with Bioshock2 remastered (it works on my rig). If the depth buffer doesn't display, don't forget to play with RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED var, as in the last version of Reshade, this setting is 1 by default.

The 64bits version (maybe will work with Deux Ex Mankind, haven't tested it yet): dxgi_64bits.zip

Edit:
It works well with Deus Ex Mankind, but in "post processing" retrieval mode only.
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #44 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote: EDIT:

This one should work with Bioshock2 remastered (it works on my rig). If the depth buffer doesn't display, don't forget to play with RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED var, as in the last version of Reshade, this setting is 1 by default.

The 64bits version (maybe will work with Deux Ex Mankind, haven't tested it yet): dxgi_64bits.zip

WOW! It works beautifully! I haven't encountered any issues yet. Thank you SO MUCH!!! I've always dreamed about getting depth buffer access in the Bioshock games. This new method you've discovered is a real game changer for Reshade. Brilliant!!!

CLICK ME FOR COMPARISON

Depth Mask
Warning: Spoiler!

MXAO
Warning: Spoiler!
  • Martigen
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #45 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

robgrab wrote:

thalixte wrote: EDIT:

WOW! It works beautifully! I haven't encountered any issues yet. Thank you SO MUCH!!! I've always dreamed about getting depth buffer access in the Bioshock games. This new method you've discovered is a real game changer for Reshade. Brilliant!!!

CLICK ME FOR COMPARISON

That's amazing! Thank you thalixte!

Robgrab, some beauty shots with MXAO please, and then share your settings :) I thnk it's time to revisit this amazing world with Reshade cranked up to full-retard/all the way to 11!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Martigen.
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #46 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

Martigen wrote: That's amazing! Thank you thalixte!

Robgrab, some beauty shots with MXAO please, and then share your settings :) I thnk it's time to revisit this amazing world with Reshade cranked up to full-retard/all the way to 11!

I'm reluctant to release a preset for something that's not officially released yet since I'm essentially "beta testing." I'll release my preset once this feature gets included as part of Reshade. In the meantime I'll keep tweaking my settings until I get it exactly where I want it. The Remastered versions of Bioshock already added a bunch of visual improvements with lighting and texture upgrades but being able to add AO and DoF is truly the cherry on top. I'll try to take more screenshots tonight.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #47 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

robgrab wrote:

Martigen wrote: That's amazing! Thank you thalixte!

I'm reluctant to release a preset for something that's not officially released yet since I'm essentially "beta testing." I'll release my preset once this feature gets included as part of Reshade. In the meantime I'll keep tweaking my settings until I get it exactly where I want it. The Remastered versions of Bioshock already added a bunch of visual improvements with lighting and texture upgrades but being able to add AO and DoF is truly the cherry on top. I'll try to take more screenshots tonight.

Glad it works now :) Just a question: have you tested previous versions of reshade to know if it worked before the 3.1.x version ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zarathustra
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #48 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Yes, I have. The original Bioshock 1 and 2 never had depth buffer access going all the way back to the first release of Reshade. When the Remastered versions came out, and switched to DX11, nothing changed. I've been waiting a long time for this day to come and it's finally happened! This is (personally) the biggest thing to happen to Reshade since Marty released MXAO. The future looks very bright indeed. :)
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #49 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
HERE are some new screens of Bioshock 2 Remastered. The added DoF really gives some much needed separation between characters and environment.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #50 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
@Martigen, thks again for your fantastic MXAO shader :) . Have you tested the 64bits version of the dll i posted here with Elex ?
  • B4rr3l
More
6 years 2 months ago #51 by B4rr3l Replied by B4rr3l on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote: @Martigen, thks again for your fantastic MXAO shader :) . Have you tested the 64bits version of the dll i posted here with Elex ?

hey buddy I beg you to add support for BF2 DOF, I'm the developer of the BFHD PRO2 which is a remaster of BF2, I would love to have MXAO and DOF in this game and I know it has full z-buffer support. pleaaaaase!

www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-hd-remastered-3

www.facebook.com/BFHDPRO/
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #52 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

B4rr3l wrote:

thalixte wrote: @Martigen, thks again for your fantastic MXAO shader :) . Have you tested the 64bits version of the dll i posted here with Elex ?

hey buddy I beg you to add support for BF2 DOF, I'm the developer of the BFHD PRO2 which is a remaster of BF2, I would love to have MXAO and DOF in this game and I know it has full z-buffer support. pleaaaaase!

Hi ! There are two problems for BF2. Firstly, the directx version the game uses. My modifs only impact dx11 games for the moment. Secondly, reshade disables z-buffer for online games, and as far as i understand, it is a Crosire's decision to prevent hacking in multiplayer games. Look at the recent PUBG boycott of Reshade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: B4rr3l
  • robgrab
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #53 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
HERE are a few videos I uploaded of Bioshock 2 Remastered using thalixte's experimental DX11.dll
  • B4rr3l
More
6 years 2 months ago #54 by B4rr3l Replied by B4rr3l on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote:

B4rr3l wrote:

thanks for the repply! I run my own BFHD server if that helps in some sort of way, I don't really care if it can be exploited, if it works at least. Please let me know if you are able to realize this amazing improvement over my project, I've been dreaming on using the DOF and MXAO since the first day I started this project 3 years ago.

Hi ! There are two problems for BF2. Firstly, the directx version the game uses. My modifs only impact dx11 games for the moment. Secondly, reshade disables z-buffer for online games, and as far as i understand, it is a Crosire's decision to prevent hacking in multiplayer games. Look at the recent PUBG boycott of Reshade.

• thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #55 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

B4rr3l wrote:

thalixte wrote:

B4rr3l wrote:

thanks for the repply! I run my own BFHD server if that helps in some sort of way, I don't really care if it can be exploited, if it works at least. Please let me know if you are able to realize this amazing improvement over my project, I've been dreaming on using the DOF and MXAO since the first day I started this project 3 years ago.

Hi, do you know which version of directx the mod uses ?
  • B4rr3l
More
6 years 2 months ago #56 by B4rr3l Replied by B4rr3l on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote: Hi, do you know which version of directx the mod uses ?

DX9.0C
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #57 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

B4rr3l wrote:

DX9.0C

Ok, so that's what i said, my modifications do not apply to this directx version, sorry.
  • conan2k
More
6 years 2 months ago #58 by conan2k Replied by conan2k on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

thalixte wrote:

B4rr3l wrote:

DX9.0C

Ok, so that's what i said, my modifications do not apply to this directx version, sorry.

Would it be possible for you to port these modifications to DX9 in the foreseeable future? Lots of older but still nice games could benefit from MXAO and good DOF (Dishonored, Mass Effect 1-3, Fallout 3, XCOM 1-2, and many others).
The following user(s) said Thank You: B4rr3l
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #59 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

conan2k wrote:

thalixte wrote:

B4rr3l wrote:

DX9.0C

Would it be possible for you to port these modifications to DX9 in the foreseeable future? Lots of older but still nice games could benefit from MXAO and good DOF (Dishonored, Mass Effect 1-3, Fallout 3, XCOM 1-2, and many others).

Since i own Mass Effect 2, i could try if i find some times. I am still waiting for Crosire to approve my pull request or not on the Reshade's repo.

Are you sure Dishonored is a DX 9 game ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Androll
  • lowenz
More
6 years 2 months ago #60 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Dishonored *1* is a D3D9 game.