LUTs: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

• Ryukou36
More
6 years 8 months ago #41 by Ryukou36 Replied by Ryukou36 on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

sets wrote: i can make the same result with just technic color 1 or 2 or colorful + curves
having to do all the stuff like taking game screenshot and modify thru photoshop / gimp takes too long and much trouble, idk why you guys are saying it's faster
and one screenshot don't reflect the full game because different areas have different colors/effect etc. You have to take multiple screenshots then modify them for desired result. while you can do all these stuffs with the other shaders much easier

This guy don't have a clue of what he's talking about it. Maybe can take more time to make a preset using a lut, but the result is amazing and performance wise is great. Since a good friend of my, teach me how to use a lut and what I can do with it, is my weapon of choice for all my presets. I just need to took few screenshots on different environments or day/night and make a good overall lut. Then use just few shaders for sharpen, lightning and DOF effect. Some example, all of the them use a lut at base. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #42 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
If you're going to show off your ReShade skills, you should include a picture with ReShade disabled for people who haven't played the game presented.

• sets
More
6 years 8 months ago #43 by sets Replied by sets on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
i did create some LUT with photoshop but the result is not really good as other ingame shaders, and it's complicated / hard to do if you are bad at photoshop
ingame sliders are easier to use

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #44 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

sets wrote: i did create some LUT with photoshop but the result is not really good as other ingame shaders, and it's complicated / hard to do if you are bad at photoshop

Sorry for the sidetrack, but I'm just curious...
Why do you pay for a Photoshop subscription if you're not going to learn it?

• Ryukou36
More
6 years 7 months ago #45 by Ryukou36 Replied by Ryukou36 on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

FierySwordswoman wrote: If you're going to show off your ReShade skills, you should include a picture with ReShade disabled for people who haven't played the game presented.

Hi there, I will take your comment like a compliment!! But my intentions wasn't to show off nothing, I just want to show to him (sets) have a look, of what a good lut can do. It just matter of time and patients. Nice day!!

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #46 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

Ryukou36 wrote: Hi there, I will take your comment like a compliment!! But my intentions wasn't to show off nothing, I just want to show to him (sets) have a look, of what a good lut can do. It just matter of time and patients. Nice day!!

What I'm getting at is to someone who doesn't play the games, they'll have no idea what the LUT is doing. It could be making it look better, worse, 'meh', etc.

For example, I don't play Hellblade or EA's Battlefront, so I don't know what you've done with them. Could've negated their grading, added to it, or simply tweaked the lightness values some. As far as I'm concerned, there may as well not even be ReShade in those screenshots to begin with.

• sets
More
6 years 7 months ago #47 by sets Replied by sets on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

FierySwordswoman wrote:

sets wrote: i did create some LUT with photoshop but the result is not really good as other ingame shaders, and it's complicated / hard to do if you are bad at photoshop

Sorry for the sidetrack, but I'm just curious...
Why do you pay for a Photoshop subscription if you're not going to learn it?

in photoshop curves or Level you have to choose the color sample for every changes while we can just use slider ingame with others shaders,much easier / simple and real time screen preview is always better than editing from the screenshot...

• sets
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #48 by sets Replied by sets on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
hmm... i got some free tonight and created some new presets and they actually looks nice, only did curves and exposures, what else work in photoshop ? anything under "image > adjustment" would work on LUT ?

how to reduce the pink amount in this lut ? left is original right is lut

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by sets.

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #49 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
You could use HSV to reduce the Red saturation.

What do you mean by "color sample every few changes"? You just drag the curves around and it updates in real-time on the canvas.
And you can use Curves to do Levels' and probably Exposure's job as well via the value curve. Do as much as you can with one Curves use and make minor adjustments with the other tools after.
That's how I go about it, anyway.

• Ryukou36
More
6 years 7 months ago #50 by Ryukou36 Replied by Ryukou36 on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

FierySwordswoman wrote:

Ryukou36 wrote: Hi there, I will take your comment like a compliment!! But my intentions wasn't to show off nothing, I just want to show to him (sets) have a look, of what a good lut can do. It just matter of time and patients. Nice day!!

What I'm getting at is to someone who doesn't play the games, they'll have no idea what the LUT is doing. It could be making it look better, worse, 'meh', etc.

For example, I don't play Hellblade or EA's Battlefront, so I don't know what you've done with them. Could've negated their grading, added to it, or simply tweaked the lightness values some. As far as I'm concerned, there may as well not even be ReShade in those screenshots to begin with.

You always are this harsh to people? You need to learn, how to have a friendly conversation and be more respectful. I believe your never check the Screenshot Thread, because almost no one put comparison screenshots of they work, including me and you doubt about other people work because of that. That's sad!!

PS.
If you want or have time, just take a look to my work and judge by yourself. Nice day!!! www.flickr.com/photos/ryukou36/albums

• Ryukou36
More
6 years 7 months ago #51 by Ryukou36 Replied by Ryukou36 on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

sets wrote: hmm... i got some free tonight and created some new presets and they actually looks nice, only did curves and exposures, what else work in photoshop ? anything under "image > adjustment" would work on LUT ?

how to reduce the pink amount in this lut ? left is original right is lut

Hi there. You can use almost everything, the most I used right now are Shadows/Highlights, Color Balance and Levels. And remember, when you activate the lut shader, play with the sliders on ReShade and you will find a better result.

To reduce the pink, you can use Color balance on a lut, Tonemap have a very useful slider for that call it Defog or HSV like Fiery said. Good luck!!

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #52 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

Ryukou36 wrote: You always are this harsh to people? You need to learn, how to have a friendly conversation and be more respectful. I believe your never check the Screenshot Thread, because almost no one put comparison screenshots of they work, including me and you doubt about other people work because of that. That's sad!!

If you consider that "harsh", you have a lot of maturing to do.
I make a point to not sugarcoat things, but I'm not entirely a ruthless person.

And I don't visit the screenshot thread for 3 reasons:
1) That very reason. People don't upload comparisons.
2) I disagree with most other people's creative direction
3) I don't have much to gain from it.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by FierySwordswoman.

• niflexible
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #53 by niflexible Replied by niflexible on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
I totally agree with you,,,
I hate when people don't use comparison side by side shots, it defeats the purpose of showcasing your work.
I always skip presets that are lazy to do before/after shots that take what,, few seconds to do.
The only sad person as he said, is him and similar closed-minded individuals.

It's like shopping for monitors size and they only show the new size in front while covering the previous
with a blanket in the back so you can't see what you shop for and how it changed, only to annoy you.
And I dont get what he meant by "being harsh", there's nothing harsh that was said, grow up!
I agree with you, he needs to mature as a lot of people do that think similar on his level ( and there's plenty of them too, sadly).
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by niflexible.

• turgor128
More
6 years 6 months ago #54 by turgor128 Replied by turgor128 on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
Is there a way to reverse this process? I mean convert lut.png texture to readable for photoshop 3d lut formats like .cube, .3dl, etc. This could be useful in reducing posterization purposes.
I hope this is not off-topic.

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #55 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide

turgor128 wrote: Is there a way to reverse this process? I mean convert lut.png texture to readable for photoshop 3d lut formats like .cube, .3dl, etc. This could be useful in reducing posterization purposes.

I hope this is not off-topic.

Alright, what....
Firstly, reverse what? Did you convert something and want it back? Keep backups.
Second, you don't need to make a photoshop lut thingy. Might make tweaking easier, IDK, but the method I described in the OP has almost no problems.
Also, as a side note....
BY THE NINE, COMPRESS YOUR PNG'S! 96mb is WAY too much for a LUT. I ran it through OptiPNG and it came back out 15.5 mb, less than 1/6th the size.
PNG's are lossless, so just compress it to save space, especially when uploading it online.

• bingobongo
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #56 by bingobongo Replied by bingobongo on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
Fantastic guide. Very clear and useful. Thanks.

I'd like to use a second LUT in different areas of the same game. I don't mind manually activating it manually by switching profiles. So I have created a second LUT ("lutEPL.png"), then created a second Reshade .ini profile, and within that .ini profile, I have tried to point it to the second alternative LUT file by adding the line in bold below:
[LUT.fx]
fLUT_TextureName="lutEPL.png"
fLUT_AmountChroma=1.000000
fLUT_AmountLuma=1.000000

But it still seems to use the same default lut.png. Does anyone know the best method for using a second custom LUT within the same game?
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by bingobongo.

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #57 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by FierySwordswoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bingobongo

• bingobongo
More
6 years 6 months ago #58 by bingobongo Replied by bingobongo on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
Thank you Fiery!

• robgrab
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #59 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
This has been a very helpful thread. I created my first LUT! I consolidated 5 separate shaders (Curves/DPX/Levels/Tonemap/Vibrance) into a single LUT! So now for Divinity Original Sin 2 I'm just using LUT, Magic Bloom, Luma Sharpen, and Marty's latest version of MXAO (3.1). I love efficiency!
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by robgrab.

• robgrab
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #60 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic LUT's: Powerful Color Correction - The Guide
I created a LUT for some basic color correction in Psychonauts. By default the game has a strong green tint.

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by robgrab.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.