qUINT

• CaptainCleanoff
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #281 by CaptainCleanoff Replied by CaptainCleanoff on topic qUINT
I'm having issues in both Mass Effect 2 and ME3 - maybe these just don't work, then again, this thread shows it is possible? I'm a noob at this stuff. I've got the QUINT shaders, but I keep getting an error with ADOF failing to compile. In "statistics" it gives this error: "... qUINT_dof.fx(608,17-61): error X3548: in ps_3_0 uints can only be used with known-positive values, use int if possible".

When I click on "edit" for qUINT_dof.fx, the particular line with the error is: "uint3 chromaMode = (uint3(0,1,2) + iADOF_ShapeChromaMode.xxx) % 3;".

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by CaptainCleanoff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #282 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
That's a known bug, change the uint to int, that should work but gives warnings on DX11. Until I get git working again on my system, I can't push any fixes yet.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptainCleanoff

• CaptainCleanoff
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #283 by CaptainCleanoff Replied by CaptainCleanoff on topic qUINT
Hi, thanks for the reply. I actually worked this out yesterday, and while it did remove the error message I was receiving, I was still getting no depth buffer access. I had to download Thalixte's d3d9.dll to enable depth buffer access for dx9 titles (like Mass Effect 2 and 3). While mxao, dof etc work now after a lot of work to figure everything out, they still look far from perfect. I'll need to spend some time trying to get the settings right, dof is being a particular pain. Regardless, thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by CaptainCleanoff.

• crosire
More
5 years 1 month ago #284 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic qUINT
This is fixed in the next ReShade update: github.com/crosire/reshade/commit/e2ee01...01b91438cca63be41331
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptainCleanoff

• thalixte
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #285 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic qUINT
Hi, Crosire !

The pb is that the new update does not embed the PR i made for d3d9. Have you found some time to check it ?

Best regards
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by thalixte.

• nmck160
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #286 by nmck160 Replied by nmck160 on topic qUINT
Hi Marty,

Not sure if this is necroing the thread or not (long time lurker, 1st post), but I'm having trouble with the Lightroom shader, but only with one game so far (Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2), that does not give me an issue with other shaders, including depth-buffer based ones like MXAO and ADOF. Additionally, Lightroom has worked for me in other games, like Fallout New Vegas.

Perhaps it's due to being OpenGL? I think I recall Crosire mentioning that OpenGL games can only handle so many Reshade shaders at once? I'm not sure.

Anyways, anytime I activate Lightroom, my screen glitches out like the following:

I've played with all the pre-processor definitions, swapping the shader orders, nothing prevents it.

Anyways, I would like to give an enormous amount of praise to the no-hassle approach that qUINT takes, I want a small list of shaders that can do a lot of things instead of a huge buffet-type thing.

Great work as always, Marty!

EDIT: I have Reshade 4.2.1, the most current Steam version of the game, 2nd latest drivers for my GTX 1080 (don't want to mess up my nVidia Inspector bits for my dx9 games ATM), and I have the most current version of qUINT from your github installed.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by nmck160.

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #287 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
Yes, this is a known bug, can't fix it at the moment since for some odd reason, git won't work so I can't update the repository. Latest update of Lightroom has an optimization where it uses an internal LUT to render the color grading to and afterwards reads it, instead of doing the expensive color grading on the entire image. Now I use screen coordinates to construct the LUT and in OpenGL, vertical axis is flipped so the LUT is entirely buggy.

• lowenz
More
5 years 1 week ago #288 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic qUINT
Any news? Can't you upload the new release package via other channels (sharing services) ?

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 day ago - 5 years 1 day ago #289 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
Yes, got git working finally. Jeez, I tried everything short of a Windows reinstall. Now OpenGL is giving me major hickups - I think I fixed that problem with the LUT you have, since it's merely caused by the handedness of the coordinate systems in OGL vs DirectX. I'm testing on Quake 2 and for some reason, the shader doesn't draw to the right half of the 4K LUT I use internally to process the CC.

Apparently, when the LUT texture size exceeds the screen size, ReShade refuses to draw to the areas outside (so for Full HD, a LUT with a width of <= 1920 is OK) but that must work so it's a ReShade bug. Can't really verify that I fixed this particular problem of yours if ReShade acts up.
Last edit: 5 years 1 day ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty, Masterfireheart

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 day ago - 5 years 1 day ago #290 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
Updated qUINT, see github for more details.

Besides some super minor stuff, a huge update to MXAO just went live!
MXAO (as you maybe know) is based on Alchemy AO and therefore, along with HBAO+ and ASSAO which all work more or less the same, state of the art of 2012-2014.

Nowadays, SSAO in any form is considered a solved problem and not much effort is going into it anymore since current-gen solutions are as good as it gets with screen-space data. GI is done with more sophisticated tech and then there's Ray Tracing knocking on the door.

Current state of the art method of computing SSAO is called Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion, short GTAO. It's a fairly new method from Activision, which is considered an upgrade to HBAO and tries to estimate the occlusion as physically accurate as possible.
Since there is no official source code available, only broken implementations of third parties around, I had to come up with my own take on it, which is now live. It's enabled by a new preprocessor define MXAO_HQ (see file content), it is a tiny bit slower than regular MXAO, radius behaves a bit different, Angle bias is not used and right now there's no IL, I'm currently trying to figure out how to properly integrate that.

To show you what it can do, here's a comparison to off vs on (open in 2 tabs and switch back and forth). Overall the occlusion looks more plausible and isn't just blanketed everywhere surfaces meet in in angle.

OFF:
[img

ON:
[img
Last edit: 5 years 1 day ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, NattyDread, Boulotaur2024, jas01, conan2k, DeMondo, Uncle Crassius, Tojkar, Ryukou36, Viper_Joe and 7 other people also said thanks.

• crosire
More
5 years 1 day ago #291 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic qUINT

Marty McFly wrote: Apparently, when the LUT texture size exceeds the screen size, ReShade refuses to draw to the areas outside (so for Full HD, a LUT with a width of <= 1920 is OK) but that must work so it's a ReShade bug. Can't really verify that I fixed this particular problem of yours if ReShade acts up.

Yeah, it is a ReShade bug. Hadn't had any luck tracking that down yet.

• Duran.te
More
5 years 1 day ago - 5 years 23 hours ago #292 by Duran.te Replied by Duran.te on topic qUINT

Marty McFly wrote: Updated qUINT, see github for more details.

MXAO (as you maybe know) is based on Alchemy AO and therefore, along with HBAO+ and ASSAO which all work more or less the same, state of the art of 2012-2014.

Nowadays, SSAO in any form is considered a solved problem and not much effort is going into it anymore since current-gen solutions are as good as it gets with screen-space data. GI is done with more sophisticated tech and then there's Ray Tracing knocking on the door.

Current state of the art method of computing SSAO is called Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion, short GTAO. It's a fairly new method from Activision, which is considered an upgrade to HBAO and tries to estimate the occlusion as physically accurate as possible.
Since there is no official source code available, only broken implementations of third parties around, I had to come up with my own take on it, which is now live. It's enabled by a new preprocessor define MXAO_HQ (see file content), it is a tiny bit slower than regular MXAO, radius behaves a bit different, Angle bias is not used and right now there's no IL, I'm currently trying to figure out how to properly integrate that.

Great Job Marty! This new method looks amazing. ;)
I was hoping so much for an update like this.

Here there are some comparison screens I took from the now-free Assassin's Creed Unity game, using default values:

top left: MXAO Standard                             top right: MXAO HQ
bottom left: "Standard" Debug          bottom right: "HQ" Debug

Becouse of forum limitations, I couldn't upload every screen comparing MXAO with in-game solutions (SSAO & HBAO+).
If someone's interested in this, you can found them here: imgur album
[hr]Edit:
Testing the HQ version further, I realized that the setting MXAO_TWO_LAYER doesn't work.
Is it intended or it still has to be implemented?
Last edit: 5 years 23 hours ago by Duran.te.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty McFly, jas01, Uncle Crassius, Viper_Joe

• Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 23 hours ago #293 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic qUINT
Wow, looking much better than I expected after the Sponza Atrium examples.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty McFly

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 22 hours ago - 5 years 22 hours ago #294 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
Duran.te Guess I should employ you to take promo pictures, I just take random snapshots. Neither IL nor double layer are currently working, in theory GTAO's method of integration shouldn't need this feature but I'll consider it. IL will be added at some point, I'm currently struggling to find a clean solution. Glad to see it performs well for you, one thing that caught my eye in your pictures is that the blur - even though entirely noise free - is a bit mushy. Maybe I can improve that.

Uncle Crassius Well, I don't cherry pick example pictures :P The Sponza scene is ideal for me to protoype and I was too lazy to fire up a game just to make comparison pictures.
Last edit: 5 years 22 hours ago by Marty McFly.

• Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 9 hours ago #295 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic qUINT

Marty McFly wrote: Uncle Crassius Well, I don't cherry pick example pictures :P The Sponza scene is ideal for me to protoype and I was too lazy to fire up a game just to make comparison pictures.

Hehe, I figured as much. Would've downloaded without further pictures anyway. How's the voxel lighting stuff going, if I may ask? Might not be proper to ask after you just gave us something cool but you're a bit of a tease, you know. ;)

• lowenz
More
5 years 8 hours ago - 5 years 7 hours ago #296 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic qUINT

Marty McFly wrote: Updated qUINT, see github for more details.

To show you what it can do, here's a comparison to off vs on (open in 2 tabs and switch back and forth). Overall the occlusion looks more plausible and isn't just blanketed everywhere surfaces meet in in angle.

You're really a gift to gamers community, man! Welcome back!
Last edit: 5 years 7 hours ago by lowenz.

• jas01
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #297 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic qUINT

Marty McFly wrote: Glad to see it performs well for you, one thing that caught my eye in your pictures is that the blur - even though entirely noise free - is a bit mushy. Maybe I can improve that.

This is the only thing that was bothering me a little in my testing (while viewing pure debug mode of your MXAO). Even higher amount of samples (32-64) could not fix this "issue" (and give me as clear image as in your normal MXAO). Of course nothing too visible during normal gameplay, so it's not that important right now.
Personally I think that this this update is very nice - In my opinion looking a lot more natural right now. For me it's a great improvement for sure. I'm happy to see you still working on (and constantly expanding) your projects.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by jas01. Reason: [/quote]

• lowenz
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #298 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic qUINT
Of course it's more natural now, no more SSAO classic "darkening aura" around objects :p
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by lowenz.

• jas01
More
4 years 11 months ago #299 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic qUINT

lowenz wrote: Of course it's more natural now, no more SSAO classic "darkening aura" around objects :p

You won't experience this issue even in his older MXAO (no dark outline around objects that are not in contact with each other). I'm thinking mostly about better ground shadows (below/ next to some object) and smoother (more blended/ less "edgy") shadows at the walls (created by some smaller objects - like bricks or wooden blocks). There is not longer just a little darkening (where objects are touching the ground) but more visible "shadow" below most objects (npcs, tables, chairs or cars).

• Duran.te
More
4 years 11 months ago #300 by Duran.te Replied by Duran.te on topic qUINT
@Marty McFly

Marty I'd have a request I've been thinking for a while.

Due to Reshade generic injection there's no way to determine precisely when to load MXAO, so it's very common to see Ambient Occlusion passing through game's vfx (fog, smoke...).
An easy solution would be to play with intensity and fade out values, but that wouldn't solve the problem caused by near-camera vfx, and lowering the intensity too much would make MXAO nearly useless.

What I was thinking was making MXAO auto-correcting based on the image displayed on screen. (Some sort of Eye-Adaptation)
So, if the blackest areas of the image visualized in that moment would start greying out / decontrasting after a detonation of a smoke-bomb, the Ambient Occlusion would adapt to it by greying out itself accordingly.

Would something like this be possible somehow?
I'm a bit tired of applying color grading to hide ambient occlusion as much as possible :lol:

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.