ReShade 3.0 Progress Discussion

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 17 hours ago #21 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
@crosire
About clearing the texture before bound and SMAA requirement, how about cleaning the smaa texture manually in blank pass instead?

Keeping the data is quite useful when rendering sprites and with discard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SunBroDave
More
8 years 17 hours ago #22 by SunBroDave Replied by SunBroDave on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
Crosire, can I request that even for those variables with sliders, you still include textboxes that allow the user to set them to any value they choose, without any kind of limit? In the past I've been able to get very good results out of going beyond the suggested limits for some effects, for example setting the white point above 255 or the black point below 0 in the LEVELS shader from SweetFX.

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 16 hours ago - 8 years 16 hours ago #23 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress

kingeric1992 wrote: @crosire
About clearing the texture before bound and SMAA requirement, how about cleaning the smaa texture manually in blank pass instead?

Good idea!

SunBroDave wrote: Crosire, can I request that even for those variables with sliders, you still include textboxes that allow the user to set them to any value they choose, without any kind of limit? In the past I've been able to get very good results out of going beyond the suggested limits for some effects, for example setting the white point above 255 or the black point below 0 in the LEVELS shader from SweetFX.

Double clicking on value allows to enter any value via the keyboard.
Also, the kind of UI element that should be displayed is all up to the user, depending on what's entered for the "ui_type" annotation (see the second gif).
Last edit: 8 years 16 hours ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunBroDave

• MrBeer
More
8 years 8 hours ago #24 by MrBeer Replied by MrBeer on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
Can we look at trying to fix nvidia optimus on the new skylake laptop with win10 i seem to get it to wotk with bo3 but that is the only one i can get it to work with.
Have a msi Ge62 6qd also can beta test if you need any info.
it I sucks i have to use RadeonPro to get it to work .

thanks.

• kkthebeast
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #25 by kkthebeast Replied by kkthebeast on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
Looks good brother. My concern would be when configuring the shaders, I would like to see as much of the screen as possible. In my case I am tweaking to get the color as real as possible. Also the ability to set hot keys for each shader to toggle on/off to see the effects. It's very very useful to be able to see both "allows my brain to reset. see if I'm on point with where I am trying to go. Some times i think i have it exactly right then i toggle SweetFX off and realize I made it look like hot garbage.
If you want to go Full screen with it cool! but it would be nice to have a toggle to make the background 100% transparent to see the effects.

Also I'm really going to miss the external files. I use 2 laptops when setting up a preset. one to edit the settings.txt (network share) and the other in game. I'm constantly toggling setting on and off (this works great on the preview 8, not so much on 2.0 crashes about every tenth time. It doesn't seem to like its settings file messed with when in game. :(

Keep up the great work. Your work is amazing broskidoodles
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by kkthebeast.

• ScarecrowDM
More
7 years 11 months ago #26 by ScarecrowDM Replied by ScarecrowDM on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
This is very cool indeed.
In-game tweaking is a very appealing ENB's feature, I'm really happy to see something like it within ReShade.

Also, good to see ReShade evolving.
I hope by version 10.0 it will support Vulkan and Linux, lol :P

Thanks Crosire, it is getting better and better.

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #27 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
Decided for the dialog based layout. Current status:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SiriusHours, SunBroDave, MaxG3D, Mobeeuz, DeMondo, piltrafus, OtisInf, Fredoooooooo, ShoterXX

• dustymonkey
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #28 by dustymonkey Replied by dustymonkey on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
It would still be nice to have a tool that adds and removes the dll's from game folders (especially if its more than one file that needs to be dropped.)

As for the demonstrated user interface - Don't hide functionality! In the gif I am looking at, it appears the shaders can/need to be dragged to change their order.... Thats hidden functionality and is therefore not good UI design.

In good UI design, the user should always be able to see what they can do at any given moment. There are paradigms you can take for granted, but dragging an item in a vertical list isnt really one of them. What visibly distinguishes a reorder-able list like this from all the ones users have seen that or not reorder-able? Even if YOUR list is always reorder-able, the user still lives in a world where almost all similarly appearing lists are not. Personal familiarity ("veterans only") vs broad familiarity ("noobies too")

I would suggest continuing to have them reorder-able by dragging (because it is convenient), but also include on each item in the list up and down arrow buttons that can be clicked on to move them up and down (bonus points if you gray out the proper buttons for the topmost and bottommost elements.)

Also, whats the ETA on some sort of release we can dive into?
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by dustymonkey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, ahnion

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #29 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress

dustymonkey wrote: It would still be nice to have a tool that adds and removes the dll's from game folders (especially if its more than one file that needs to be dropped.)

Will use the ReShade Setup tool known from the SweetFX 2.0 package for that. It's simple and does only one thing: install the DLL, but it does that well (most of the time).

dustymonkey wrote: As for the demonstrated user interface - Don't hide functionality! In the gif I am looking at, it appears the shaders can/need to be dragged to change their order.... Thats hidden functionality and is therefore not good UI design.

In good UI design, the user should always be able to see what they can do at any given moment. There are paradigms you can take for granted, but dragging an item in a vertical list isnt really one of them. What visibly distinguishes a reorder-able list like this from all the ones users have seen that or not reorder-able? Even if YOUR list is always reorder-able, the user still lives in a world where almost all similarly appearing lists are not. Personal familiarity ("veterans only") vs broad familiarity ("noobies too")

I would suggest continuing to have them reorder-able by dragging (because it is convenient), but also include on each item in the list up and down arrow buttons that can be clicked on to move them up and down (bonus points if you gray out the proper buttons for the topmost and bottommost elements.)

Good point and thank you very much for the feedback (I can only fix such things right away if they are brought up).

dustymonkey wrote: Also, whats the ETA on some sort of release we can dive into?

No ETA yet. There are too many things I need to decide on how to handle from now on still (how presets are stored, how #defines are controlled, if I require configurable options to be uniform variables or if they still can be #defines, etc.).
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by crosire.

• OtisInf
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #30 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress

crosire wrote: No ETA yet. There are too many things I need to decide on how to handle from now on still (how presets are stored, how #defines are controlled, if I require configurable options to be uniform variables or if they still can be #defines, etc.).

If you want, these things can be debated separately in threads here or in issues on github. I think most devs of the shaders roam these forums now and then so you don't have to do this alone ;)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OtisInf.

• piltrafus
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #31 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
@ Crosire
Congrats on the new overall philosophy for reshade 3.0 Everything looks like a great step in the right direction.

Regarding drag to reorder the pipeline. Your example is perfect. Don't even doubt for a second about it. left click to "drag and drop" is the primary interaction in windows. That's how you move windows around for starters.
If you want to make completely foolproof you could add a tooltip if you hover over a shader name that pops with "click and drag to change order". Please don't waste a single second of your precious time with double ways to do things when one of them is clearly the simplest and most efficient.
My opinion, of course.

Regards.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by piltrafus.

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #32 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress

OtisInf wrote: If you want, these things can be debated separately in threads here or in issues on github. I think most devs of the shaders roam these forums now and then so you don't have to do this alone ;)

Yes please. As I said before, I am open for any suggestions on the layout and features it should provide.

piltrafus wrote: Regarding drag to reorder the pipeline. Your example is perfect. Don't even doubt for a second about it. left click to "drag and drop" is the primary interaction in windows. That's how you move windows around for starters.
If you want to make completely foolproof you could add a tooltip if you hover over a shader name that pops with "click and drag to change order". Please don't waste a single second of your precious time with double ways to do things when one of them is clearly the simplest and most efficient.

That's what I had in mind. Similar to the info tooltip shown in the last GIF as I hover over the overlay key setting.

• piltrafus
More
7 years 11 months ago #33 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
I completely missed the tooltip poping up in the gif. Apologies. Obviously you are not a step, but about three towns ahead. Carry on good man, don't let me slow you down.

• OtisInf
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #34 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress

crosire wrote:

OtisInf wrote: If you want, these things can be debated separately in threads here or in issues on github. I think most devs of the shaders roam these forums now and then so you don't have to do this alone ;)

Yes please. As I said before, I am open for any suggestions on the layout and features it should provide.

Ok. Should there be a Reshade 3.0 forum section? So in that forum, people could start threads regarding 3.0?

Also, a couple of things to keep in mind (what I've learned with dealing with users of my software and their feedback)
- If you ask everyone on their opinion about what to do, you'll get a tremendous amount of different opinions, which are often conflicting and/or not in line with what you yourself have in mind.
- there will be people who are very vocal and some won't say anything at all, and it will look like the vocal people's opinion is what the general group wants, this might not be the case
- difficult things might not get any feedback at all, and silly things gets a tremendous amount of feedback (see: 'bikeshedding' ;))

so what I'd advice you to do is this: (I know this isn't a real product with licenses etc. but let's see it as such, as it's easier to deal with it in that way.)
- first make sure for yourself what you want to implement in v3, what your goals are (what you want to achieve with 3.0). That's key. Product development has the downside that there's not a 'client' you can talk to and ask what they need, your client is unknown and has many faces.
- think a bit about the different groups of users your stuff has. From what I can see, these are: general non-tech gamers, hardcore gamers, screenshotters, shader devs. They all have different needs and these can conflict.
- if you are undecided about something, open a thread (e.g. in a reshade 3.0 feedback forum section) and ask for feedback, then decide from that what's best in your PoV, what's in line with your vision of what you want to achieve
- Just say 'no' to most requests, as it's the right answer. Saying 'no' is key to ship stuff. Here's an insightful article about that: blog.intercom.io/product-strategy-means-saying-no/
- You can't please everyone, so spending energy to achieve that is a waste.
- Keep things simple.

The above stuff might sound harsh, but in general the people who work on a piece of software know full well what they want to achieve, and I'm sure you do too, so have confidence in what you want to achieve yourself is also in the best interest of your users :) From what I see in this thread, you're on a clear, right track and I've confidence things will work out great. There will be some things to improve after this, no matter what.

Good luck :)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OtisInf.

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #35 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
I'm well aware. I do have a clear picture of what I want, but I share the view of a shader developer and as such a lot of the new features benefits those most. But they are not the general population using ReShade, so I need to get an idea what everybody else wants too. Doesn't mean all suggested is done (this has never been the case, categories like network access are too sensible for example), I still have the last word afterall, but there's a good chance it is.

I created a separate forum category for now, so it's easer to collect posts.

• kingeric1992
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #36 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
crosire
Assuming there is a save/load option on the UI veriables, can you make additional static const UI variables that only update values upon recompilation/reload?

I'm thinking that it can allows some degrees of flow control optimization through UI without user editing text file for static const variables or #defines constant.

And about handling #defines, just plain and simple token ops should be enough.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by kingeric1992.

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #37 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress

kingeric1992 wrote: crosire
Assuming there is a save/load option on the UI veriables,
can you make additional static const UI variables that only update values upon recompilation?

Yes, that's possible. I would prefer constant variables over #defines a lot, because they are scope-safe and can use the full power of ReShade's namespaces.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by crosire.

• OtisInf
More
7 years 11 months ago #38 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
About editing parameters for a shader, is it possible to have a low-height window for that, docked on the bottom? E.g. the same with TVs where you can change e.g .brightness/contrast in a small window at the bottom of the screen so the whole UI isn't obstructing the view and you can thus clearly see what the results are of your edits?

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #39 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
You can move and resize the windows as you see fit.

• NattyDread
More
7 years 11 months ago #40 by NattyDread Replied by NattyDread on topic ReShade 3.0 Progress
Great work on this, just please make the font size scaleable (or just have 2 options - normal and large) so we can see anything when tweaking at high resolutions.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.