MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #441 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
No I cannot ignore it because bloom threholding is done before blurring, after blurring looks odd. The better way is using a curve function on final bloom texture anyways. Good then, no fog or anything like this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fuze
More
9 years 1 week ago #442 by fuze Replied by fuze on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
About fog, can you make a fog shader that would just set the depth buffer output to screen blending mode?

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 6 days ago #443 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

fuze wrote: About fog, can you make a fog shader that would just set the depth buffer output to screen blending mode?

That would be no proper fog because fog also scatters. I'd need to run bloom generation algorithm twice which I won't do.

• SunBroDave
More
9 years 6 days ago #444 by SunBroDave Replied by SunBroDave on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

Marty McFly wrote: No I cannot ignore it because bloom threholding is done before blurring, after blurring looks odd. The better way is using a curve function on final bloom texture anyways. Good then, no fog or anything like this.

Marty, maybe you can give us a shader that's just your bloom (complete with bloom threshold) so that we can still use that version of bloom in conjunction with the framework? Then you'd be free to modify bloom in the full MasterEffect package so that you can add in new effects like fog. Even though we're used to using the bloom that's there (personally it's one of my favorite effects) I'd say we all definitely want you to move MasterEffect forward, so maybe this would be a reasonable compromise?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, BrandonHortman, jas01, vad

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 6 days ago #445 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
The framework uses my bloom already.

• jas01
More
9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #446 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

SunBroDave wrote:

Marty McFly wrote: No I cannot ignore it because bloom threholding is done before blurring, after blurring looks odd. The better way is using a curve function on final bloom texture anyways. Good then, no fog or anything like this.

Marty, maybe you can give us a shader that's just your bloom (complete with bloom threshold) so that we can still use that version of bloom in conjunction with the framework? Then you'd be free to modify bloom in the full MasterEffect package so that you can add in new effects like fog.

I guess that this is not possible. I mean that there will still be some incompatibilities. Propably this doesn't metter where he will locate his bloom. (In Master Effect or in CustomFX from Framework). I personally like to have new shaders than this parameter from oryginally bloom (anyway he is great)

I'm really sorry for my poor grammar. :<
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by jas01.

• Koklusz
More
9 years 6 days ago #447 by Koklusz Replied by Koklusz on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
How would bloom shader work then anyway? Would threshold be fixed at one value, or would it work like some kind of HDR, changing threshold depending on overall screen brightens or/and color? Because later would be actually be neat.

• Ganossa
More
9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #448 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

Koklusz wrote: How would bloom shader work then anyway? Would threshold be fixed at one value, or would it work like some kind of HDR, changing threshold depending on overall screen brightens or/and color? Because later would be actually be neat.

That feature is already covered with GemFX in the framework.
In the current release it is not working 100% correct but in the dev build/next release it works perfectly and also covers all other lighting effects, including the ported bloom from ME.
That feature however is totally independent from the threshold cause one is a trigger and the other one is an eye adaptation effect.
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by Ganossa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Koklusz, Quentin-Tarantino

• brussell
More
9 years 6 days ago #449 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
Imo bloom is pretty much useless without the threshold parameter. Different games have different lighting conditions and brightness levels, sometimes they already have a native bloom implementation. And I don't want rely on the coincident that it might or might not work with a specific game. Besides I view bloom as the more important effect, not just visually, but ,when configured right, it works throughout the game, whereas fog is appropriate only on rare occasions.

• Elimina
More
9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #450 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

fuze wrote: About fog, can you make a fog shader that would just set the depth buffer output to screen blending mode?

Since we are all talking about implementing fog, I would like to post a picture that happened to my Watch Dogs after I installed ReShade. So, I'm pretty sure it is the save games fault, and not ReShade, but here is the pic right when I installed rehshade

i.imgur.com/gVN3IE4h.jpg
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by Elimina. Reason: added qoute

• Quentin-Tarantino
More
9 years 4 days ago - 9 years 4 days ago #451 by Quentin-Tarantino Replied by Quentin-Tarantino on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
Marty do you know when you be adding Tilt–Shift back in?
I was only starting to love it and then it was took away from me :( :P
Last edit: 9 years 4 days ago by Quentin-Tarantino.

• Quentin-Tarantino
More
9 years 4 days ago #452 by Quentin-Tarantino Replied by Quentin-Tarantino on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

Elimina wrote:

Since we are all talking about implementing fog, I would like to post a picture that happened to my Watch Dogs after I installed ReShade. So, I'm pretty sure it is the save games fault, and not ReShade, but here is the pic right when I installed rehshade

i.imgur.com/gVN3IE4h.jpg

That's a nice mistake :) Watch Dogs meets Silent Hill :lol:

• Frankie
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #453 by Frankie Replied by Frankie on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
Marty, any chance of some form of temporal antialiasing? Like TXAA?
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Frankie.

• huss93
More
8 years 11 months ago #454 by huss93 Replied by huss93 on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
hi marty :) possible changed algorthyme for gta v for dof ?

sorry for english ..........french

• helge
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #455 by helge Replied by helge on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
Hello to you all!

I just set up the reshade program in combination with the Master Effects a couple of days ago and it works just fine, exept one thing: Ambient Occlusion. No matter which option of AO I choose, I always get the same bug: The shadowing shines through all the objects, they seem to get transparent for those dark spots. Probably hard to spot on a screenshot, but more than noticeable and very annoying especially in motion. This is, by the way, for Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, (currently I don't have any other Dx9 games to test, doesn't work in other dx version, right?). I tried a couple of things, mostly shutting down every single other program that was running, disabling Uplay Overlay, run as administrator and so on... Unfortunately nothing helped. I hope, someone has some suggestions on how to resolve that issue, cause I would really love to use that great tool, but without AO it's only worth half, that effect really does a lot for the visuals of a game.

PS: Windows 7, newest AMD drivers installed, newest ReShade and MasterEffect files also.

PPS: I'm German and if I am not mistaken, at least the creator of MasterEffects is German too. I'm fine with English and this way everybody can understand this, but I just wanted to let you know, German would also be an option, if things get tricky or something.

And oh, by the way, is it somehow possible to keep the effects away from the HUD and menue? Especially with Bloom it's rather annoying.

Thanks in advance! ;)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by helge.

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #456 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
Frankie
I don't know how TXAA/TAA works (comparing older pictures - that I know but not more), there is no actual source code for that and I'm generally bad at reproducing code from some paper explaining how it works (except I comprehend it to 100% - I wouldn't be able to write an AO shader from scratch but a DOF shader is possible (Magic DOF approach is from some paper)).
huss93
No.
helge
AO in games works l is in the middle of a render chain so light sprites (called 2dfx, 2D rendered textures like the car headlights) are rendered on top of it. These light sprites don't write to depth buffer so they are basically invisible for the depth buffer. Same goes for any lighting effect like flares, bloom, fog and so on. Now ReShade calls the depth info of these pixels where the light sprites or bloom or whatever is and applies AO on top of it.
We essentially have no option to prevent AO from darkening light sprites or whatever, except luminance consideration, lowering the AO amount if the source pixel has a specific brightness. Problem is here that fog isn't actually very bright, the luminance consideration doesn't only save light sprites from occluding but also bright game objects, some light sprites aren't bright (red car light for example) and so on.
We would need to place AO before rendering those effects but that is close to impossible on a generic base. Even ENB which is made for dedicated games can't do it always. In GTA IV for example, it renders AO before light sprites etc but in GTASA for example, you can really see the AO though car burnout smoke, fire, sun haze and so on because the ENB version for SA doesn't take care of that.
The closest we get is as I said, luminance consideration and I MasterEffect has this option already. AO_LUMINANCE_CONSIDERATION enables this option. If a pixel is brighter than the AO_LUMINANCE_LOWER value, AO starts to get less until a pixel is brighter than AO_LUMINANCE_UPPER - pixels that have a higher luminance than this value get no AO at all. 1.0 equals 255 255 255 color, the brightest possible in LDR colorspace.
For effects inside MasterEffect, I take care of this - AO gets applied at the very beginning, before DOF, before lighting, before flares, before bloom. That's why it took me a long while to setup the effect chain properly and that's the reason why ME structure is so complex, every effect takes care of each other effect - grayscale is applied after chromatic abberation because CA would create colored offsets which contradict the definition of grayscaled image.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonHortman

• Wicked Sick
More
8 years 11 months ago #457 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
The bloom issue that people are reporting, in which thread is it being addressed? I am asking because I'd like to follow. Sorry for bother you.

• helge
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #458 by helge Replied by helge on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
@Marty:
Thanks for those explanations, but I think you didn't quite get my problem right. It's not the 2D objects that are my problem, it is everything. The AO effect shines through all the 3D objects, like the protagonists model for instance. I can see those black shadows through walls, buildings, persons etc.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by helge.

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #459 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread

Wicked Sick wrote: The bloom issue that people are reporting, in which thread is it being addressed? I am asking because I'd like to follow. Sorry for bother you.

I brough it up earlier here in the Framework thread: reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/516...19-1281?start=6#4229
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire. Reason: Fixed link

• Wicked Sick
More
8 years 11 months ago #460 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic MasterEffect ReBorn official thread
Thank you.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.