Depth buffer detection modifications

• thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #701 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

BOTLester wrote: Hey, I have problem with depth buffer in several dx9 games (STALKER, Fallout New Vegas). As far as I remember it didn't work in Fallout 4 too so probably it is also problem with dx11. I tried thalixte custom dlls for dx9, but it still doesn't work, the only thing I could find in logs about depth buffer was this : "Failed to retrieve texture from depth surface! HRESULT is '0x80004002'."
Depth buffer is just empty.

ENB does have an access to depth buffer in those games, so i guess it's a problem with ReShade :/

Found a little time to test Reshade with Stalker (Shadow Of Tchernobyl). There is an AA setting to disable in the advanced graphic settings menu. The display (MSAA is inactive) is not right for this game in the DX9 tab.

With the official Reshade version, as well as with my own versions, Stalker depth buffer is accessible, when the ingame AA is disabled:

[img

[img

[img
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by thalixte.
The topic has been locked.
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago #702 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
HELP! I'm having a hard time understanding the process of getting the depth buffer to work, specifically in Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm not familiar with the file modification process for this. If anyone could give me a walk-through (that's easy to understand) of getting the MXAO to work I'd really appreciate it! I don't know what to copy, replace, modify specifically!
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #703 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

Virtuous. wrote: HELP! I'm having a hard time understanding the process of getting the depth buffer to work, specifically in Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm not familiar with the file modification process for this. If anyone could give me a walk-through (that's easy to understand) of getting the MXAO to work I'd really appreciate it! I don't know what to copy, replace, modify specifically!

First of all, you have to use my own dll:
mega.nz/#!alAXwAzT!WItkhs5WeJr6P0nP4ggl1brW0HBKswACpe9faCoY5Fo

or this one:
mega.nz/#!r5Q2iABJ!KGjxuW45lO_CcklOQ4UXz4sl_gzukZuHWaB6ES4itZU

Secondly, you have to ensure the game is offline, and that the ingame MSAA is not enabled.

Thirdly, in the first Reshade's tab you have to change the preprocessor options (the RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED option, generally). Take a look at this thread: reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/4810-ab...s-in-displaydepth-fx .
Then, you have to go to the DX9 tab, and play wit it. I will send you the settings that i use when i have some time...

I suggest you to use the last version of the displaydepth shader, as it show you both the normal and the depth map.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by thalixte.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virtuous.
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago #704 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
So I made some progress with getting MXAO to work in Batman Arkham Asylum, but the MXAO is still not working properly. I'm using the latest Reshade and I replaced the standard d3d9.dll with yours, selected the correct depth buffer and the MXAO isn't functioning properly.

Since I was finally able to find that d3d9.dll (thanks to your recent post), I was able to get the depth detection to work.

However, when applying MXAO, the shadow placement is only determined by the roundness of a 3d object, rather than placing shadows inbetween ojects that are close to each other. This is what happens
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #705 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Glad to see you access the depth buffer.
Maybe you should ask @MartyMcFly for this MXAO stuff.
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago #706 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Wow, I thought the whole point of getting the Depth Buffer to work was to make MXAO work. Guess I wasted 2 hours trying to figure it out lol. So it seems like no matter what MXAO won't work with it. Maybe because it's dx9? I dunno.
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #707 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

Virtuous. wrote: Wow, I thought the whole point of getting the Depth Buffer to work was to make MXAO work. Guess I wasted 2 hours trying to figure it out lol. So it seems like no matter what MXAO won't work with it. Maybe because it's dx9? I dunno.

Nope, looks just like it does when the depth buffer had the wrong direction, so probably no wasted time. Try changing the preprocessor definition "Depth Buffer Reversed" and change it from 1 to 0 or vice versa and see if it helps.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Uncle Crassius.
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #708 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Yes, Uncle Crassius is totally right. I did not think about that. If you can change the RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED value directly with the DisplayDepth shader, it is not necessary the case with the MXAO shader. So, you have to set the RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED in the preprocessor options according to the value you have set for the display depth shader. Also, MXAO works only in performance mode in some game (like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.). I do not know why.
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago #709 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
I should have mentioned I tried everything you two just pointed out. Changing any of the "Display Depth" options doesn't change the MXAO at all and I tried many combinations. The only thing that changed the MXAO whatsoever (and by change I mean just turning off and on) was by switching between the depthstencil boxes on the dx9 Reshade tab. Neither the "Disable depth buffer size restriction" or the "multiple depthstencil replacement buffer" options changed anything. Also, putting on performance mode made no changes. If anyone can get MXAO functioning properly on Batman: Arkham Asylum please let me know, because the in-game Ambient Occlusion is awful. For now I'm just using Nvidia Inspector Ambient Occlusion compatibility as a replacement, but it's still not that great.
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 2 months ago #710 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Installing now. I'll let you know how it goes later if you don't beat me to it with a solution.
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago #711 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Best of luck to ya man! If you find a solution hit me up on steam steamcommunity.com/id/Virtuous-/
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 2 months ago #712 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Replying here in case others have problems but it worked really straightforward.
- Installed ReShade 4.1 and only chose MXAO for testing purposes (I would refrain from using Display Depth altogether, I rather rely on MXAO's debug view option)
- Replaced the dll with thalixte's 32 bit dll he provided above.
- Used these settings (and proof it works): imgur.com/a/T63yfUr
That did the "trick". Works in the game as well, not only the main menu screen. ;)
  • thalixte
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #713 by thalixte Replied by thalixte on topic Depth buffer detection modifications

Uncle Crassius wrote: Replying here in case others have problems but it worked really straightforward.
- Installed ReShade 4.1 and only chose MXAO for testing purposes (I would refrain from using Display Depth altogether, I rather rely on MXAO's debug view option)
- Replaced the dll with thalixte's 32 bit dll he provided above.
- Used these settings (and proof it works): imgur.com/a/T63yfUr
That did the "trick". Works in the game as well, not only the main menu screen. ;)

Thks a lot !
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 2 months ago #714 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Thank you, too. Forgot to mention that I only own the GOTY version of Arkham Asylum. They only added a few maps so technically there shouldn't be any differences to the standalone version but you never really know.
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #715 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Thanks for the help guys. After all the the hardcore setting tinkering I realized it was the in-game MSAA messing up the MXAO haha, I need more coffee! At least I learned a lot in the process.
However, I soon became frustrated by one of the annoyances of MXAO i've seen before - rendering through smoke/fog!

Because this is soo immersion breaking I'm just going to revert to the Nvidia Inspector Ambient Occlusion Compatibility setting since it does not show through smoke/fog.

Maybe one day MXAO will be advanced enough to detect when not to render through sprite effects like fog, smoke, and god rays. Until then, MXAO is only really good for games that have none of that; and that's rare lol!
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Virtuous..
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #716 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Haha, yeah, fog's always an issue. I haven't tried it myself but GeDoSaTo manages to inject SSAO earlier in the render pipeline than ReShade.
[ blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=821 ]
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago #717 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
Hmmm interesting, I'll check into it...
  • Virtuous.
More
5 years 2 months ago #718 by Virtuous. Replied by Virtuous. on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
I can't even get that gedosato thing installed. Last post on the website was from 2017. I'm guessing the thing doesn't even work anymore. Hmphh
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #719 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
I actually managed to get it running, sort of. To stop AO from bleeding will require further work, though, and it seems that the shadows get messed up occasionally flickering heavily with AO on. Maybe it's for the better so this thread won't derail even further. ;)
  • BlueSkyKnight
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #720 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic Depth buffer detection modifications
I found an Issue with a DX1132 Bit game called Secret of Mana. Got it on sale on steam right now, tried to relive my childhood. :D

Anyways The issue is selecting depth buffers options that work don't really change anything and the ones that do change anything pick the same depth buffer.

Secret of Mana current screen

Secret of Mana Only Depth Buffer available.

Secret of Mana ReShade Log
pastebin.com/aZjWahhm
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by BlueSkyKnight.
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.