3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #981 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

markbradley1982 wrote: So I've been playing Chivalry – Medieval Warefare using Depth3D and Virtual Desktop on my Vive. The 3D looks amazing, but when I turn on the depth map view, it's completely white as if there were no buffer map access. However clearly there is stereoscopic depth happening. BlueSkyKnight hypothesized that maybe the depth map pops in and out, but the game consistency appears to have depth for me. Is there some kind of caching going on of whatever bit of depth buffer it can capture that allows the 3D effect to happen continuously?

Also according to the Reshade compatibility list, there is no note mentioning that there is no depth buffer access for Chivalry.

Here's my settings for the game:

KeySuperDepth3D=112,0,0,0
Techniques=SuperDepth3D
TechniqueSorting=SuperDepth3D

[SuperDepth3D.fx]
Depth_Map=20.000000
Custom_Sidebars=1.000000
Weapon_Depth_Map=0.000000
Depth=30.000000
Custom_Depth_Map=0.000000
Perspective=0.000000
Dis_Occlusion=1.000000
Near_Far=1.000000,4.500000
Depth_Map_View=0.000000
Depth_Map_Flip=0.000000
Weapon_Adjust=0.000000,0.250000,1.001000
Weapon_Percentage=5.000000
Weapon_Distance_Correction=0.000000
Stereoscopic_Mode=1.000000
Downscaling_Support=0.000000
Anaglyph_Colors=0.000000
Anaglyph_Desaturation=1.000000
Eye_Swap=0.000000
AO=1.000000
Power=0.500000
Spread=1.500000

Try using 1.9.6 in the experimental folder.
If anyone has the game they can test it.

I think you may be out of luck with that game since it's an Online only game. You may have to try TriDef for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #982 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
1.9.6 Is almost out. Now it's just a few days of Playtesting it in a few games.

Please go ahead and try it out. Any feedback would be nice on this new one. I Tried to make it a lot easier. To use.

I also Merged Cross Cursor back into the Shader. Since I found out how to Make where you can select your key for it. I will still leave a stand alone one for anyone that wants to use it outside my shader.

I was able to fix that problem with that fraken Battlestar Galactica game. :P

The updates are in the Experimental Folder.

In the next few days, I will make a better youtube video.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus

• ksotar
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #983 by ksotar Replied by ksotar on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote: 1.9.6 Is almost out. Now it's just a few days of Playtesting it in a few games.

Wow, Admiral, that was quick! :)
Yes, PBD works like a charm now.

Interestingly I had to reassign head tracking axis as well to work properly. I've read reports on Elite Dangerous having same problems with axis. I wonder, what's wrong with coordinates in those spacesims :huh:

There are other problems with the main shader too with this game.

What are those? I'm trying to figure out proper settings for Depth3D, is it futile for now?
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by ksotar.

• markbradley1982
More
6 years 11 months ago #984 by markbradley1982 Replied by markbradley1982 on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote:

markbradley1982 wrote: I think you may be out of luck with that game since it's an Online only game. You may have to try TriDef for it.

I believe you may have misunderstood my post. Actually Chivalry has great 3D with Depth3D + Reshade. But when I view the depth map it's pure white which means there shouldn't be any 3D happening at all, but clearly the game is in stereoscopic 3D. I'm trying to understand how this could be happening rather than stating the game doesn't work. The game indeed works very well in stereoscopic 3D.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #985 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Fantastic work on the latest version, I'm just curious, what happened to the Vertical Squish, i would prefer it to be in the new shader, or if that is not possible, maybe a standalone Vertical squish cubic distortion shader? :D
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Aelius Maximus.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #986 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote: Fantastic work on the latest version, I'm just curious, what happened to the Vertical Squish, i would prefer it to be in the new shader, or if that is not possible, maybe a standalone Vertical squish cubic distortion shader? :D

Try Aspect Ratio adjustment.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #987 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

ksotar wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote: 1.9.6 Is almost out. Now it's just a few days of Playtesting it in a few games.

Wow, Admiral, that was quick! :)
Yes, PBD works like a charm now.

Interestingly I had to reassign head tracking axis as well to work properly. I've read reports on Elite Dangerous having same problems with axis. I wonder, what's wrong with coordinates in those spacesims :huh:

There are other problems with the main shader too with this game.

What are those? I'm trying to figure out proper settings for Depth3D, is it futile for now?

It should still work. There will be strange corruption on some screens.

• x8009
More
6 years 11 months ago #988 by x8009 Replied by x8009 on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
also new tridef version

Release Notes
Changes in 7.4

If activation fails due to a firewall issue, then offline activation can be used.
Fixed an issue that caused some folders or files to remain after uninstall if the files were in use.
Added a TriDef License Info link to the Start Menu.
TriDef 3D Ignition

Added a Side by Side (Letterbox) 3D display mode. This is an unsquashed Side by Side 3D format with black bars. This mode is supported by TriDef 3D Ignition only, and can be selected from the Advanced > (standard display types) list in TriDef 3D Display Setup.
Enabled the Profile > Advanced Settings menu for Generic and user profiles. The following settings are available:
Depth Map Correction: Used in normal 3D mode to correct shadow issues for some games.
Reverse Depth: Turn this on if the depth appears inverted in Power 3D mode.
Added support for the following games:
XCOM 2
ARK Survival Evolved (BattlEye must be disabled)
Improved support for various other games including The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, War Thunder, Diablo 3 and League of Legends.
Fixed an issue that caused 64-bit games to crash on some systems.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 11 months ago #989 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote:

Aelius Maximus wrote: Fantastic work on the latest version, I'm just curious, what happened to the Vertical Squish, i would prefer it to be in the new shader, or if that is not possible, maybe a standalone Vertical squish cubic distortion shader? :D

Where is that? I need to be quite specific about how much i squash the screen vertically, and your vertical squish was perfect for achieving the right vertical alignment in my HMD... :dry:

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #990 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote:

Where is that? I need to be quite specific about how much i squash the screen vertically, and your vertical squish was perfect for achieving the right vertical alignment in my HMD... :dry:

It should be next to the Zoom function.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #991 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

x8009 wrote: also new tridef version

Release Notes
Changes in 7.4

If activation fails due to a firewall issue, then offline activation can be used.
Fixed an issue that caused some folders or files to remain after uninstall if the files were in use.
Added a TriDef License Info link to the Start Menu.
TriDef 3D Ignition

Added a Side by Side (Letterbox) 3D display mode. This is an unsquashed Side by Side 3D format with black bars. This mode is supported by TriDef 3D Ignition only, and can be selected from the Advanced > (standard display types) list in TriDef 3D Display Setup.
Enabled the Profile > Advanced Settings menu for Generic and user profiles. The following settings are available:
Depth Map Correction: Used in normal 3D mode to correct shadow issues for some games.
Reverse Depth: Turn this on if the depth appears inverted in Power 3D mode.
Added support for the following games:
XCOM 2
ARK Survival Evolved (BattlEye must be disabled)
Improved support for various other games including The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, War Thunder, Diablo 3 and League of Legends.
Fixed an issue that caused 64-bit games to crash on some systems.

Ya that Depth Map correction really helps with Shadows in some DX 11 Games in S3D.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 11 months ago #992 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Ah, it's in the polynomial distortion shader.... :|

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #993 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
I changed Near Depth So it does not effect the Weapon hand. I had to do this because before when you enabled it the weapon hand popped out of the screen. This is bad since it can cause eye strain.

The new change adjusts the Depth Map itself. This Works really well for FPS games less distortion and you can raise the Depth_Map_Adjust from your normal value. I set it to around 2X and max out Near Depth.

Games Tested DreamFall Chapters, Prey 2017,and 35mm.

The old way of doing it caused too many artifacts too even tough it was stronger.

Will still be tweaking it still.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 11 months ago #994 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
The near depth value truly makes the near details pop, infinite warfare looks pretty damn good on the Pimax 4k

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #995 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote: The near depth value truly makes the near details pop, infinite warfare looks pretty damn good on the Pimax 4k

Ya Looks like I am going to have to divorce the Weapon from the World Depth Map. I don't see any way around it.

Pop what I am calling it now.

So added it back in, what happens now when you enable Pop is that the Weapon Hand is Pushed back in.

There are limits. to this. before Z fighting becomes an issue. I say for an FPS game 2 is Max.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 11 months ago #996 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Pop is a good definition. There is a good balance of far and near depth now, just wish there was a standalone squish shader, haha. :|

Also, in the Polynomial_Barrel_Distortion_v1.1 experimental shader, is there any way i can remove the split in the middle, i can't seem to adjust it so there is no gap

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #997 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote: Pop is a good definition. There is a good balance of far and near depth now, just wish there was a standalone squish shader, haha. :|

Also, in the Polynomial_Barrel_Distortion_v1.1 experimental shader, is there any way i can remove the split in the middle, i can't seem to adjust it so there is no gap

Ya shader order is important for P_B_D. It should be last in the shader hierarchy.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #998 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Now with the newer code update, I think I may be able to reduce the number of depth maps needed now.

I was also able to add convergence back. This is a better way to add pop to an image fewer artifacts. Should allow for better image quality.

Still learning :D
Made many mistakes.... But, now I am starting to get a hand on things. I also updated the FlashBack shader.

Also, I have been using the new game Prey 2017 to Work on image quality. That weapon depth Still a pain in the ass......... Since if you raise the convergence the FPS hand want to pop out of the screen. I guess you can limit convergence and not go to high in FPS Games. I am still working on that problem.

Also, don't forget to Try The FlashBack shader. It looks better in some games.

Like Prey 2017, Dreamfall Chapters, and Fez.

But, in games like Quake 2XP and BorderLands2, you want to use the newer one.

It about on par with the game the Witcher 3. This may be down to preference on this game.

Also just because the new shader is getting worked on the most. Does not mean I am not working on the older shader. :)

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #999 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
I was able to add both.

Also fixed that artifact issue with Near Depth.

Near Depth and Convergence now work better with each other.

Added Convergence clamp toggle. This is to keep the objects limited to around 5-8cm boundary. This is to keep it from distorting.

Also worked on image Quality.

Normal Shader

Flash Back

It's nice to have options. Both shaders to look ok. It really depends on what kind of warping you like to have in your 3D image.

As for this last image, I removed the convergence option and Maxed out Near Depth.

I am leaning on this Last Option because I personally think It gives the best Image quality. Since My goal is to not to have many options in the shader. Since it will/can confuse new people.

I will have both options up for a while so you guys can see the difference in game.

Also no more yellow errors in DX9. :) Fixed that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus, zig11727

• markbradley1982
More
6 years 11 months ago #1000 by markbradley1982 Replied by markbradley1982 on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
What game is that in the screenshot?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.