3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

• customerhenry
More
2 years 9 months ago #1581 by customerhenry Replied by customerhenry on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Hello.
First at all I want to thank you the work you have done with the 3D depth in VR and the app VR companion.
Is working perfect and better than Vorpx for some games. I'm really happy and grateful.
I don't know if you will do future updates of the app, but if you do.
Can you give the option to remove the space background to leave it black or without nothing? And It's possible to do an option that the app recognize the setup you do with the distance and size when you start because you need to do the configuration size every time.
With these two request the app will be perfect and better than Vorpx.
Thank you so much for your work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Torzi
More
2 years 9 months ago #1582 by Torzi Replied by Torzi on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Been scratching down some feedback notes as well while I've been playing, and thought I'd pass them along. If they're crappy ideas feel free to ignore... I have been thoroughly enjoying this as is! I also doubled down on WMR and got a Reverb G2. Miss the OLED colors, but the detail in the distance is great! So, these notes are for WMR:

=>saveable presets for screen size, position, curve (... adjustable/saveable in menu/preset?)
Since depth perception differs with screen position/geometry, saving/sharing presets would make more sense passing that info along as well.

=>opening the settings menu blurs the screen (hard to tune), makes text hard to read

=>settings menu doesn't block input to the game (per option in settings tab)

=>3D movies (you can ignore this one, just thought you were close already)
-loses SBS when player (MPC-HC) switched to fullscreen
-OU option?
-Black/Empty environment

=> Frame pacing
I noticed the companion app is generating 90FPS even when the game is not. This causes an issue when reprojection is enabled, since the compositor thinks the game is already running at max capacity (in WMR OpenXR mode). I think this might be interfering with pacing even with reprojection disabled, as it seems a little choppy even at 70-80 FPS. It *might?* be better to just pass the frames from the game to the compositor as soon as they're available, and let the compositor do the work of figuring out how to pace the frames on the headset. Reprojection also uses that presentation timing to extrapolate the missing frames... it might help getting 'automatic' mode to work.

My workaround for this has been to limit the companion app to 45FPS with RTSS (with frametime calc point set to 'frame presentation'), and force reprojection always-on. This has been working surprisingly well. The WMR runtime has some sort of limiter in place that will put a cap on the amount of GPU that the game can use with reprojection enabled. I think MS is on the right track with this, but it's too conservative at the moment, and the only way to know you've hit the cap is that it becomes a stuttering mess.

I usually use the Steam runtime with WMR though. It's much more solid at this point in time, and the performance is great! I still try the WMR runtime as they release updates. It's definitely getting better, but they have a ways to go.

Thanks for your work on this, it really is spectacular!

• mr_spongeworthy
More
2 years 9 months ago #1583 by mr_spongeworthy Replied by mr_spongeworthy on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Wow, just gave the newest revision a whirl on my old 3D display and I've got to say it's the best yet without a doubt. I think I've been using this on and off now since sometime near the beginning, and it just keeps getting better. I just decided to give it a try in The Outer Worlds after getting tired of wearing my HMD with vorpX and the is so little distortion out of your latest version, it's just fantastic! Especially the cut-scenes, I remember the older versions often had very little depth, or you got a lot of distortion, but these look great (very close to as good as a G3D solution). The newest version does have quite a bit more impact on frame rate than the older versions seemed to, but that's a trade-off I'm very happy to make (I'm also running 4K downsampling to 1080p, so I'm rendering a lot of pixels).

I'll have to give your latest Companion App a try since that way I can compare it directly to vorpX in my HMD, but my first impression is that not only is SuperDepth now much better than it use to be, I think it's a lot better than the vorpX Z3D implementation. I don't suppose the latest Companion App includes head tracking does it?

As always, thanks for this; it's a great shader and now that all the other major players are out of 'standard 3D' and only doing VR (or out of business like TriDef), SuperDepth is one of the only solutions remaining for those of us who still want to do traditional stereoscopic gaming, at least sometimes (for my racing rims, I'll be doing an HMD forever I hope, but I find VR as a whole much less compelling in other titles and in many cases just wish I could do traditional G3D stereoscopy like I used to.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueSkyKnight

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 9 months ago #1584 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
I will add the background option. I will look in to the save configurations idea.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 9 months ago #1585 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Opening the menu blurs the screen because it getting reconstructed. Don't think I can fix that one.

Non Native Side by Side de-toggling will be fixed. I will add over and under maybe.

Companion App Frame Locking I may add something for this.

Saveable Presets bit maybe I need to read up on that one.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 9 months ago #1586 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
I will add head tracking back. It just hard to get working in an stable fashion. Since sometimes the games overhead will cause the application to shudder. Causing issues there.

I am not working on this stuff right now because I been busy. But, I will get to it. When I can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr_spongeworthy, HekutoruMAC

• mr_spongeworthy
More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #1587 by mr_spongeworthy Replied by mr_spongeworthy on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Any ideas about how to get Cyberpunk 2077 to play nice with SuperDepth3D? I got it looking absolutely fantastic, only to discover that there are several functions that cause visual artifacts on the screen (for example the "scan" function of the game). The depth was really good, both in-world and cut-scenes, and the distortion was very low, but unfortunately it will be unusable due to those artifact issues if you don't know how I might fix them. I did go through the 'dx11' tab and try a couple things; the adjust for aspect ratio and the copy screen buffer. Playing around with either of them much just seemed to lock Cyberpunk up completely, so I had to give up on that. Anyway, if you know the trick for getting it to work let me know, it's an astonishingly good looking game running with SuperDepth, I'll tell you that!

Also, I seem to remember older versions had a line you could manually edit to reduce the resolution of the depth map? I ask because I nearly always run a "Super Resolution" and would edit that value to get some FPS back. For example I used to run FO4 all the way up at 4K for a while, so I could set that depth map resolution value clear down at 50%. A lot of newer games I'm down at 2560x1440, but I could still enter a value of 75% or so to regain a little performance. My 3D display is only 1080p, so unless I'm using SuperDepthVR I don't need my depth map to be any higher resolution than 1080p or I just lose performance.

But I've been away from SuperDepth for so long I can't remember where that value is or even if it's still in the later versions? Is it still there? If so, where should I be looking?
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by mr_spongeworthy.

• mr_spongeworthy
More
2 years 9 months ago #1588 by mr_spongeworthy Replied by mr_spongeworthy on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Well, my Edit timeout expired or I would have edited that last one: I figured out the problem with Cyberpunk 2077 is specific to a specific DLSS setting I was using, or possibly that combined with a specific native screen resolution, hard to be sure. Anyway, switching to a different native game resolution and DLSS setting resolved the issue so far.

Still would like to know if I can still reduce the resolution of the depth map like I used to be able to do? Is that supported under these later versions?

• Torzi
More
2 years 9 months ago #1589 by Torzi Replied by Torzi on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Take all the time you need to do whatever you want... this is your ship! I'm just a stowaway :) It's working just fine here.. better than I imagined it could. This is mostly all I do in VR anymore (stereo games/movies), and I haven't used much else for games since you released the OpenXR version of Companion App. Just thought I'd leave some feedback. This forum thread is eerily quite for how great this is.

Can't believe how good everything looks in the G2. I did add 'curves' and 'clarity' to make up for the lack of color/brightness controls on this headset, but those do the trick. I put Cyberpunk down for a while, and moved onto Horizon:Zero Dawn. I'm glad I waited to play this game, it's just absolutely stunning with SuperDepth in VR!

@mr_spongeworthy: I get that too in Cyberpunk with the scans. It's a problem with the depth buffer. If you can find a case where it's 100% repeatable, Cosire could probably fix it if you request it in the Reshade or Cyberpunk threads. I've been using a 4:3 aspect ratio lately, and almost every game I've tried has issues with that (since most were developed for consoles on a standard 16:9 TV).

• mr_spongeworthy
More
2 years 9 months ago #1590 by mr_spongeworthy Replied by mr_spongeworthy on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Greedfall looks absolutely amazing with this by the way. Possibly the single best title I've seen to date. For some reason it's got a lot of depth with very little distortion, much better than the same version of Reshade/Superdepth in Fallout 4, for example.

Speaking of which, in Fallout 4 it's very weird, but I've noticed this kind of 'bleeds' upon movement. I've tried a ton of settings (it's not TAA, or FXAA, or Motion Blur, or anything like that) and nothing fixed it. vorpX does NOT produce this effect in Fallout 4. Look at any edge during movement, heck, move something around on a loading screen, and watch the edges bleed very strangely. I don't remember older versions doing this at all. Otherwise it looks great, but that makes it kind of unusable for Fallout 4.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 7 months ago #1591 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Good news!!!

SuperDepth3D update.................
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3DAdded a New View Mode called Reiteration Adaptive. New way of infilling hope this helps with stubborn games.

Removed Legacy mode. I needed to clean up the code a bit.

AA warning was changed because DLSS is compatible with SuperDepth3D.
So the warning now says, "Disable Or Set TAA/MSAA/AA/DLSS."

Since You may want to leave TAA or DLSS on in you game.

All View modes now have a full pixel of clearance from Depth. This is to reduce artifacts from TAA and DLSS.

The View Modes where reworked and the Performance Mode merged into it. I Hope less you enjoy the cleaner look of the infilling.

Some changes where made to the names and tags to items/options.
Overwatch Header File v1.9.9+ Update

Profiles:
+ Quake Enhanced Edition
+ Tormented Souls Demo < some one give me the full games app id please :D
+ Graven
+ Amnesia Rebirth
+ AMIN EVIL
+ Yooka Laylee
+ Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
+ Ghostrunner DX 12 RTX
+ The Suicide of Rachel Foster
+ DEATH STRANDING
+ Cyberpunk 2077

Minor Issues:
DX9 needs to be checked.
The new View mode can be heavy and or light Keep that in mind this happens because it's adaptive......... So not a bug.
Oh read the information in game help for The Suicide of Rachel Foster.

Please report bugs you find. Like the shader not compiling, ect.

Enjoy the new update.Please Request Profiles so I can know what you guys need. Also Please ask for Reviews of older profiles if you think it can be done better based on the new options in the updated version of ReShade and SuperDepth3D. Since some profiles where made in the early days of the shader.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr_spongeworthy, Torzi, costiq

• costiq
More
2 years 7 months ago #1592 by costiq Replied by costiq on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Thank you so much BlueSkyNight!

Unfortunately, I'm stuck in a place without a 3DTV and I can't check your update, but I'm dying to do it. Maybe I'll try the cross-eyes technique.
In any case, even before this update, your SuperDepth3D worked magically in the last patched version of Cyberpunk 2077 for example. Someone needs to try very hard to notice it is not geometrical 3D.

Sorry, but I can't not say it again: you are a living legend!
Gracias!

• costiq
More
2 years 7 months ago #1593 by costiq Replied by costiq on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Well, I need to take this off my chest: 

As I mentioned, I'm now in a situation when I  don't have access to a 3DTV.
I was trying to launch a game on a flat 2DTV. It was EuroTruck Simulator which I thought hey, with this one you can choose some nice ambient music from the radio and just drive through some nice scenery.
Well, after 56.5 seconds, I had to shut the game down. In 2D it was like I was half-blind, everything looks dead.

For a two-eyed person who had the chance (curse) to experience the 3D, all games look dead in the flat 2D. Raytracing, 4k - 8k- 260k, all mean nothing in two dimensions. 

For me, NVidia's assassination of 3DVision and the TV manufacturer's assassination of 3DTV are crimes against two-eyed humanity. (I'm not even joking).

That's why I have huge respect for all the people at HelixMod, crosire and you BlueSkyNight. You are the brilliant minds who give reasons for people to enjoy having two eyes instead of one.

Respect! 

• ChronicHedgehog
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #1594 by ChronicHedgehog Replied by ChronicHedgehog on topic Control: Problems with 3D while using DLSS and SDR
Playing Control on a Reverb G2 running Virtual Desktop there’s a 3D effect with internal rendering set to 720p and DLSS set to 1080p, but the quality is not satisfactory due to halved resolution. There’s no 3D effect in game when DLSS is set to 4K (there a minor effect on the screen edges when in menu) unless the internal resolution is set to 1440p or above, the resulting image quality is quite good, but performance is bad. Reloading didn’t work. Does anyone have any ideas?
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by ChronicHedgehog. Reason: Correction

• Torzi
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #1595 by Torzi Replied by Torzi on topic Control: Problems with 3D while using DLSS and SDR
What GPU/CPU are you using? I haven't played it, but I've seen the benchmarks. Control is a pretty demanding game on it's own... before trying to play in the headset, make sure you can get the performance you expect just running 2D. From what you're describing, the mode that you have DLSS set to might also have an issue. Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? Try playing around with the different modes available. Do they all behave the same?

Have you tried using the Companion App instead of Virtual Desktop? Super3D mode will help with detail at all resolutions. I also get better performance with the SteamVR OpenXR target through Companion App than Virtual Desktop with OpenVR. The WMR target is also getting better (MS is slowly updating their OpenXR runtime), and worth trying to see what works better for you.

Also, with Virtual desktop, is your desktop set to 4K? Virtual Desktop will only sample what your monitor resolution is set to, even if you have the game set to over-sample.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Torzi.

• ChronicHedgehog
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #1596 by ChronicHedgehog Replied by ChronicHedgehog on topic Control: Problems with 3D while using DLSS and SDR
Computer is running an unlocked 10700 and RTX 2080ti. Game runs fine on monitor. Companion app with color compression yields better, but not sufficient, results, however, I’m mostly interested in playing in VD’s / BigScreen’s theatre environments and there’s nothing comparable here. I haven’t tried increasing desktop resolution, but increasing game resolution yields a noticeable difference.

Anyway, there are multiple issues at play; both the G2 and Control are resource intensive, at least 1440p desktop rendering is required for image quality due to high pixel count, and it turns out the depth map is not accessible at certain resolutions. Playing this game in 3D is a lost cause with this setup.

Both Superdepth and Virtual Desktop support full side by side, any way to get this working without using HelixVision?
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by ChronicHedgehog.

• Torzi
More
2 years 6 months ago #1597 by Torzi Replied by Torzi on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
All of these apps really need to be tuned/balanced manually... Game resolution/settings, Super-sampling in VR, and the Reshade shaders (especially if you're using more than just SuperDepth3D, like Clarity and Curves).

It's easiest to start with everything set as low as possible, and tune up from there. The goal for smooth game play is to make sure you're not maxing out GPU or CPU use, but GPU is usually what will limit you. You really want a plot of frame-times to be as flat as possible, and GPU can't be pegged at 100% (I tune my settings to hover around 90%)... Windows just can't handle it.

Start with the game at the resolution you like at the lowest in-game preset for quality, set VR super-sampling to 50% on the G2, and only use the SuperDepth3D_VR shader in Reshade to start.

I also limit frames to 45FPS (22.2ms) with the G2 at 90Hz, or 60FPS with it at 60Hz. Reprojection should be turned off to start, but you can add it (force always-on) once you get a good initial balance you're happy with. Gradually increase settings, and take note of how they're affecting GPU use. Afterburner is good for keeping track of this.

Also, pay attention to any game settings that might interfere with the depth buffer, and use the sharpening filter in SuperDepth3D rather than any in the game (though I'm not sure how DLSS plays into this). The G2 at 100% SS will also use a LOT of resources. I usually end up in the 60-70% range with a GTX1080, and it still looks good with the sharpening filter in SD3D.

• marcus_locos
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #1598 by marcus_locos Replied by marcus_locos on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. Unfortunately I have to translate my text because I'm from Germany and my English is not that good. So I hope that I will be understood anyway.

I've been playing in 3D for over 10 years. It all started with the movie Avatar 3D. I still have fun with it to this day. I also have VR glasses (Reverb G2) but most of all I still have fun with a 3D projector on my large 120 "screen.

For the past few years I've always used 3DTV Play, Tridef3D or SBS. Even today.
I have known Reshade3D since 2020 and first of all I have to say that it works really well. That's why I signed up here to ask some questions.

I don't understand why many games are missing from the game list. Resident Evil 7 or Blair Witch works perfectly with Reshade3D.

With Resident Evil 7, I found the right attitude myself. It took a while, but it wasn't that difficult.

It took me longer with Blair Witch because it wasn't that easy. Most of the time you just have to change the depth and the convergence. At B.W. I had to change a setting until it worked. It took me a long time to figure that out. Unfortunately, today I don't remember what attitude that was. I played the game last year and it was really fun in 3D.

Are there no proper instructions for these games?

I played through Dead Space 3 in co-op a few days ago and it was a lot of fun. We used 3DTV Play so with 720p.
The 3D picture was great. There were no problems. Do you think Resahde3D would make the game look even better? I actually didn't notice any difference to 1080p. This is probably not a problem with older games.

At that time I played Hellblade on a 1080p projector and I could set DSR to 4.00x and it had a 4K resolution and I played that with Tridef3D. That was really a great experience.

Ok I hope I get an answer from you guys. I would be happy. Thanks very much :)
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by marcus_locos.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #1599 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
The reason some games work. Is because they have a built in profile.

github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/blob/...haders/Overwatch.fxh < Games are listed here.

Keep in mind some of the older profiles still need the users to adjust things a bit for them selves.

Overtime I made the smaller adjustments my self. So newer profiles will be easier to use, since you would not need to adjust as many settings.

I am revisiting and adding new games as I can. If you see the warning "NP" or "No Profile." Then the game has no profile to feed it information. So you have to adjust setting on your own. This is not a easy thing. It also takes time to learn.

You can read more about the shader here.
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/wiki

I am tempted on adding tiers. So that games with profiles Guide the user to use simple adjustments. But, this takes time.

List the games you are interested here. So I can retarget some of profiles for you.

Thank you.

• dark1970
More
2 years 5 months ago #1600 by dark1970 Replied by dark1970 on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
BlueSkyKnight I think the question is not for you, but still: 3D does not work in Forza Horizon 5! no depth definition! can you take a look?
fastpic.org/view/116/2021/1106/_658e324f...555470c1aaa.jpg.html

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.