3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1081 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote:
Just found out about your shader yesterday and... man, you made my day. More like years in fact. 3D support has always been buggy and tanked the performance for me, even with a 1080. Enter your shader and suddenly I am able to play AC Unity maxed out at 60fps in 3D, when even TriDef with PowerVR tanks the game to 30-40fps. Just sent you $40 for that, you deserve them much more than Nvidia or UBI, that's for sure.

Ya, some games will work well. Sometimes it's a mixed Bag. Also, thank you.

Jesped wrote: Hope you can continue improving it, I'm willing to pay more if needed. Tried Dirt4 and it works "almost" ok. The most distracting was the windshields floating beyond the cars in cockpit camera. When they are broken, you can see the glass cracks floating on the road. Tried playing around with the settings but didn't come up with anything that fixes it.

So the from your explanation it seems to me that the Cracks and the windshield primitives are drawn in the depth buffer. This happens in GTA V. The windshield seems to draw as a primitive in the depth buffer too. This problem I can't fix unless some how the primitive in the game is removed from the depth buffer. This is a problem with zBuffer 3D. Transparent objects like Glass, Water, and sometimes even cloaked NPCs will show up in the depth buffer.

Jesped wrote: Will it be possible in the future to further fix the UI and these specific elements of each game? I guess that every racing game is going to face the same problems.

Not all racing games face this problem some don't draw the windshield in the zbuffer. Some problems I can work around. UI will be something I want to work on. But, I think this will may be done with a stencil of some sort. Maybe

Jesped wrote: Thanks again and keep up this good work!

P.S. Tried Alien Isolation and worked great too. 60fps Ultra at 4K. Pity it crashes when trying to inject Alias Isolation ( github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/releases ), which is the only way to remove the obnoxious aliasing on this game, that is even present at 4K with SMAAT2x. Is there any way to make both tools work?

I will look into it.

*Update*

Got it to work in a funny way.

1. Launch the game with Tridef then close the game.
2. Setup github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/releases injector.
3. Setup Reshade injector with SuperDepth3D_v1.9.7.fx shader
4. Start the game with aliasIsolationInjectorGui.exe
5. In game disable Tridef 3D.
6. In game setup my shader. Alien Isolation "DM 0" Depth_Map_Adjust "12.5"
7. Play.

Then it should work

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus, Jesped

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 8 months ago #1082 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote: Ya, that one I am preparing for the Reshade common download shaders. Ya, I am changing things. But, it's taking me time to do so.

Look at this image of AI at 75 Divergence with the new Disocclusion Code.

I had so many changes done now. 1.9.6 is really 1.9.7

I find most games with a depth buffer work very well, for inconsistencies like windscreen cracks, you just gotta compromise. So also, can divergence be turned up to 75 without artifacts due to the new disocclusoin masking? I've also noticed the Z parallax has been bumped up to 0.250

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 8 months ago #1083 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote: Try it out. 3.0.8 should work.

Just found out about your shader yesterday and... man, you made my day. More like years in fact. 3D support has always been buggy and tanked the performance for me, even with a 1080. Enter your shader and suddenly I am able to play AC Unity maxed out at 60fps in 3D, when even TriDef with PowerVR tanks the game to 30-40fps. Just sent you $40 for that, you deserve them much more than Nvidia or UBI, that's for sure.

Hope you can continue improving it, I'm willing to pay more if needed. Tried Dirt4 and it works "almost" ok. The most distracting was the windshields floating beyond the cars in cockpit camera. When they are broken, you can see the glass cracks floating on the road. Tried playing around with the settings but didn't come up with anything that fixes it.

Will it be possible in the future to further fix the UI and these specific elements of each game? I guess that every racing game is going to face the same problems.

Thanks again and keep up this good work!

P.S. Tried Alien Isolation and worked great too. 60fps Ultra at 4K. Pity it crashes when trying to inject Alias Isolation ( github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/releases ), which is the only way to remove the obnoxious aliasing on this game, that is even present at 4K with SMAAT2x. Is there any way to make both tools work?

Hmm, strange, i found that Dirt 4 worked pretty well, this shader is starting to surpass Tridef in more ways than one, tridef still has the translucent borders around 3d objects where as this shader has more or less eliminated it. The Alien isolation problem is a common thing where you try to inject two programs, it's annoying but there is usually an awkward workaround

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1084 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote: Ya, that one I am preparing for the Reshade common download shaders. Ya, I am changing things. But, it's taking me time to do so.

I find most games with a depth buffer work very well, for inconsistencies like windscreen cracks, you just gotta compromise. So also, can divergence be turned up to 75 without artifacts due to the new disocclusoin masking? I've also noticed the Z parallax has been bumped up to 0.250

With some games you can get Divergence to 75 now. May not be all games. you can also go in to the shader it self and raise it.

Line 32 // Determines The Max Depth amount.
Line 33 #define Depth_Max 50

Will be on line 33 change the last number from 50 to 75

Above that, if you want a faster shader at 4k you can also change the Depth_Map_Division. There no need for a high rez depth buffer at that resolution.

Line 29 // Determines The resolution of the Depth Map. For 4k Use 1.75 or 1.5. For 1440p Use 1.5 or 1.25. For 1080p use 1. Too low of a resolution will remove too much.
Line 30 #define Depth_Map_Division 1.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus

• Jesped
More
6 years 8 months ago #1085 by Jesped Replied by Jesped on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote: Got it to work in a funny way.

Great, gotta try that.

Tried AC Black Flag and it worked on the scenery, but the people were like paper thin unfolded onto the scenery depth.

Dark Souls 3 worked great, apart from the typical UI issues.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1086 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote: Got it to work in a funny way.

Great, gotta try that.

Tried AC Black Flag and it worked on the scenery, but the people were like paper thin unfolded onto the scenery depth.

Dark Souls 3 worked great, apart from the typical UI issues.

AC Black Flag try lowering the Depth Map Adjustment

• Jesped
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1087 by Jesped Replied by Jesped on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote: Hmm, strange, i found that Dirt 4 worked pretty well, this shader is starting to surpass Tridef in more ways than one, tridef still has the translucent borders around 3d objects where as this shader has more or less eliminated it.

Agree. Had a lot of problems with Tridef all these years, and the performance was much worse. I gave up on 3D on games that din't have native support. Rise of the Tomb Raider is the most recent AAA game I recall having native SBS support, which doesn't seem to be very popular these days. In Dirt4 was mainly the windshield floating that was distracting to me, the rest seemed pretty ok.

I saw those translucent borders around people in AC Unity at some point, but they went away after further tweaking with the settings.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Jesped.

• Jesped
More
6 years 8 months ago #1088 by Jesped Replied by Jesped on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Some doubts... I see your screenshots are always OU format. Is there any advantage using OU over SBS? I was under the assumption it was the opposite, as SBS offers a more even distribution of pixels in width and height.

What about oversampling with custom resolutions? is there any specific "sweet spot" resolution which shows the best results for a native 1080p display?
I use oversampling all the time using Custom Res in Nvidia instead of DSR, but always applying the same multiplier for both width and height.
Wouldn't it be more optimal to double just the width for SBS or the height for OU to compensate the halving of resolution when doing 3D?

And last one... is it possible to do Framepacking format instead of SBS or OU?

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 8 months ago #1089 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote:

Aelius Maximus wrote: Hmm, strange, i found that Dirt 4 worked pretty well, this shader is starting to surpass Tridef in more ways than one, tridef still has the translucent borders around 3d objects where as this shader has more or less eliminated it.

Agree. Had a lot of problems with Tridef all these years, and the performance was much worse. I gave up on 3D on games that din't have native support. Rise of the Tomb Raider is the most recent AAA game I recall having native SBS support, which doesn't seem to be very popular these days. In Dirt4 was mainly the windshield floating that was distracting to me, the rest seemed pretty ok.

I saw those translucent borders around people in AC Unity at some point, but they went away after further tweaking with the settings.

Yeah, you'll need to set the disocclusion up to 5 to mask the borders completely, but i think there is a performance impact.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1090 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
1.9.7 Major Update

Adjusted All Depth Values.
Adjusted all ZPD Values.

Auto ZPD for LoZ:BOTW Used for work around with Reshade. Will Be posting a video for this.
Auto ZPD Is mainly used for 3rd Person Games. use Normal ZPD Adjustment for FPS Games.
You can still use Auto ZPD for fps games I can't stop you. :P

Removed AO no need with new ZPD adjustments. Faster Shader :D

Notes. Now games like Shadow Warrior 2013 Weapon Hands will work now if ZPD set really low around 0.005-0.010

Divergence Now Stronger at lower settings. Disocclusion May be overpowered if set too high.

New Startup Website logo thingy is WIP as well as the Website. I will have better guides up soon as well. I want to make this basically an easy tool for you guys. I will post all my findings. on the website too so that other game devs can just toss this shader into their game if they want too. This will take time.

I would like feed back on this shader release.

In other news, I may be moving soon. So I will Try to finish the Depth Map Adjustments as soon as I can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alfski, Aelius Maximus, Jesped

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1091 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote:
Some doubts... I see your screenshots are always OU format. Is there any advantage using OU over SBS? I was under the assumption it was the opposite, as SBS offers a more even distribution of pixels in width and height.

Yes. But the cost is aliasing. At least for my setup.

Jesped wrote: What about oversampling with custom resolutions? is there any specific "sweet spot" resolution which shows the best results for a native 1080p display?

Oversampling can be done. I use a 4k screen and play at 3200x1800. On one of my older 1080 screens, I used top and bottom I used a Res of 2560 x2160 and the LG Line interlaced screen I tried to play native 1080p.

Jesped wrote: I use oversampling all the time using Custom Res in Nvidia instead of DSR, but always applying the same multiplier for both width and height.
Wouldn't it be more optimal to double just the width for SBS or the height for OU to compensate the halving of resolution when doing 3D?

I tried this It works out well but, in the end, I stuck to 16:9 resolutions. But, I need to try this again.

Jesped wrote: And last one... is it possible to do Framepacking format instead of SBS or OU?

Framepacking would be a nice option if it worked with reshade. But, I was unable to get it to work. Maybe I try again when I have time.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1092 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote: Yeah, you'll need to set the disocclusion up to 5 to mask the borders completely, but i think there is a performance impact.

Disocclusion number 5 is not the same as all the others It's a Test Number :P.... The code for it different. 4 is actually the highest. I will be working on new code when I have time.

Oh yeah, that Disocclusion Was made for ME:A as a test one.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.

• alfski
More
6 years 8 months ago #1093 by alfski Replied by alfski on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
FYI, 3D DepthMap Stereo shader works okay with Google Earth 7.

There are a couple of gotcha's to do with ReShade, but otherwise the shader is awesome!

I've placed a gallery of anaglyph stereo Earth shots at photos.app.goo.gl/gAmU463uU2QCiTYD2 .

--
Andrew (Alf) Leahy | Wonderama Lab | Western Sydney University

• Jesped
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1094 by Jesped Replied by Jesped on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote: I tried this It works out well but, in the end, I stuck to 16:9 resolutions. But, I need to try this again.

I tried AC Unity and Witcher 3 but both show wrong aspect ratio, squeezing the image. No idea how this could be fixed to work ok, as aspect ratio is not really a setting you can force in Custom Res.

BlueSkyKnight wrote: Framepacking would be a nice option if it worked with reshade. But, I was unable to get it to work. Maybe I try again when I have time.

It would be great if Framepacking could go beyond the 720p60 1080p24 typical standards, as those are not fit for gaming at all.

I was tweaking Witcher 3 yesterday and it took some time to get to the sweet spot where there's no artifacts. At some point I saw a weird effect, depth was very noticeable rotating the camera, but when stopped and left with a fixed view it would go away almost completely.

I assume not much can be done, as each display and screen size needs it own little adjustments but man, your shader is just great. Just testing Witcher 3 was so amazing that I'm itching to play it all over again.

Does this work with Frostbite games like BF1, NFS2015, etc?

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1095 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote: Does this work with Frostbite games like BF1, NFS2015, etc?.

Indeed it does
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Aelius Maximus.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1096 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote: I tried this It works out well but, in the end, I stuck to 16:9 resolutions. But, I need to try this again.

I tried AC Unity and Witcher 3 but both show wrong aspect ratio, squeezing the image. No idea how this could be fixed to work ok, as aspect ratio is not really a setting you can force in Custom Res.

I use a 16:9 Calculator when making a custom res.

size43.com/jqueryVideoTool.html

Jesped wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote: Framepacking would be a nice option if it worked with reshade. But, I was unable to get it to work. Maybe I try again when I have time.

It would be great if Framepacking could go beyond the 720p60 1080p24 typical standards, as those are not fit for gaming at all.

I was tweaking Witcher 3 yesterday and it took some time to get to the sweet spot where there's no artifacts. At some point I saw a weird effect, depth was very noticeable rotating the camera, but when stopped and left with a fixed view it would go away almost completely.

I assume not much can be done, as each display and screen size needs it own little adjustments but man, your shader is just great. Just testing Witcher 3 was so amazing that I'm itching to play it all over again.

On my 4k screen, I am able to a make a custom 1080p 60Hz Framed Pack res. This is how I tested it before. But the depth buffer in Reshade will not work with some thing like that.

reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/2513-a-...ack-resolution#18336

• Jesped
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1097 by Jesped Replied by Jesped on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Aelius Maximus wrote:

Jesped wrote: Does this work with Frostbite games like BF1, NFS2015, etc?.

Indeed it does

Which settings are you using? I just get a total flat color checking Depth View in both with any settings I tried.

• Jesped
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1098 by Jesped Replied by Jesped on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote: I use a 16:9 Calculator when making a custom res.

What I meant is that there seems to be no way to force a 16:9 aspect ratio for resolutions that it doesn't detect as such. AC Unity detects my 3840x1080 res as "Multimonitor" aspect ratio, and stretches it anyway.

BlueSkyKnight wrote: On my 4k screen, I am able to a make a custom 1080p 60Hz Framed Pack res. This is how I tested it before. But the depth buffer in Reshade will not work with some thing like that.

Pity. It would be awesome to be able to use the full resolution for gaming. If this is due to limitations in Reshade, I guess not much can be done about it unless Crosire modifies something, right?

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1099 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Jesped wrote:

BlueSkyKnight wrote: I use a 16:9 Calculator when making a custom res.

What I meant is that there seems to be no way to force a 16:9 aspect ratio for resolutions that it doesn't detect as such. AC Unity detects my 3840x1080 res as "Multimonitor" aspect ratio, and stretches it anyway.

BlueSkyKnight wrote: On my 4k screen, I am able to a make a custom 1080p 60Hz Framed Pack res. This is how I tested it before. But the depth buffer in Reshade will not work with some thing like that.

Pity. It would be awesome to be able to use the full resolution for gaming. If this is due to limitations in Reshade, I guess not much can be done about it unless Crosire modifies something, right?

Yes, Him or some one else.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1100 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
So what I have been working on I have been working on Weapon depth code that easier to use. Since it's not easy to use. Not even for my self. So I re wrote it in the hopes that It would be easier. I am going to have to hold off on update till I get it right.

www.desmos.com/calculator/oafnfkrgtj

On the Other Hand, this Site Is kind of fun to use. I have been using it to work on depth buffer code. :P

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.